“All in all, not bad!”

Clayton Hotel Leeds
Ranked #13 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 24 July 2014

When I (travelling alone) arrived at Bewley's (for the first time), I was offered a room change from a room with 3 single beds to one with a double and a single, which showed promise. On reaching my room at the end of a corridor, I was immediately hit by a wall of heat from within; a sentiment echoed by other members of the team I was meeting - first stop; open the window!! Get tech online - this proved problematic, as yes, they do have, and advertise, free Wi-Fi, but the signal was so weak that whilst both laptops connected, any attempt at doing anything constructive online was greeted with a timeout. A visit to reception told me that the ethernet port in the room was live, so a visit to the car to collect a Wi-Fi router ensued, which resolved connectivity issues.

CONTRACTORS ARE CURRENTLY INSTALLING SOME 60 NEW WIRELESS ACCESS POINTS. This should resolve the poor connectivity issues.

Meals - both cooked and continental were good and the bar do an interesting range of drinks.
Slept well, despite the heat. All in all, not a bad stay. Would I stay there again - yes.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank James_Freebourne
Michael S, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear James,
Many thanks for your review and comments.
I am pleased to see that you had an enjoyable stay. Thank you for noting the points on WiFi! We are in the middle of the installation right now so we look forward to a much improved connection!
I look forward to welcoming you back to Leeds very soon.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I am a frequent user of budget hotels, so after staying away all week with work was required to travel from Scotland to London.

I decided to book at Bewleys Leeds on Friday night as a stop gap on my journey.

Basically I arrived late and as in the other reviews there were plenty of party people I decided I wanted to eat something in the peace and quiete of my room.

I phoned for room service around midnight and was told they were not serving rooms!!

So got some sleep only to be woken by a window cleaner on a cherry picker at around 7am this went on for around 2 hours.

Check out was at 12 so after window cleaner had gone try'd to get an hour in and guess what?

Someone from room service decided to just let themselves into my room!!!

I phoned reception immediately and wAs told they will have a word. This Is totally unacceptable In my book! The combination of no food Rudely awaken by machinery and people letting themselves into your room added up to a pretty horrific nights stay.

All in all I would not recommend the hotel to anyone other than party people in a 18 to 30s.

Donna Watson

Room 434

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear scottgreg,
Many thanks for your review.
I am sorry to hear that you had a disrupted night's sleep. Just to address a couple of your points; the cherry picker was not for our building it was for the office building adjacent. It is too early to start as you note and I have passed on your comments to City Walk Management. Our room service is delivered as outlined on the menu i.e. available during evening Brasserie opening times. We have a limited night menu that can be catered for by the team, but again this is outside of listed room service times so unavailable for delivery to your room.
I must apologise for the disturbance mid-morning too. It would appear it was actually one of our Room Attendants as Room Service doesn't start until 5pm.
Thank you again for your feedback and I hope we can imporve on your nights sleep on you next visit to Bewleys Hotel Leeds.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I booked Bewleys with a pessimistic frame of mind. But I was proven completely wrong.

Staff are very courteous, rooms are very clean. I requested the staff for a quiet room and the staff made sure that I was provided one instead of a random room.

Rooms and bathroom are cleaned properly every day. With small things like iron board, trouser ironing feature, safe vault, this hotel wins your heart.

The bar is excellent with several different types of drinks and food to select from.

The only downside is the gym. There is room for improvement.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on higher floors.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Kaushik,
Thank you very much for your comments.
It is great to see that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and the team looked after you so well. They will be very pleased to read this review!
I hope we can welcome you back to bewleys Leeds again very soon!

Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Great hotel, great service, there are a few things that got to me,
1) Checking out- really long winded. Took 15 minutes each week to check out.
2) Room Service Menu- They had changed an item on the menu that I wanted but had changed this without notice, upon ordering I had a call 10 minutes later to say that it has been withdrawn, I did get an alternative but it's more principal.
Other than that I thought it was great, breakfast was brilliant and food was good.. The staff were well mannered.

Stayed: July 2014

Dear ravzmepa,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments.
We use fresh produce throughout so on occasion we do run out of items. I must apologise for the incpvenience this caused, although pleased a suitable alternative was offered. Check out should not take 15 minutes so, again, please accept my apologies for this.
I hope we can welcome you back to Leeds again in the near future.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Working in Leeds a few days a week I need somewhere to crash.

It was ok, but the in room wifi was very sloooow and the breakfast service more than a bit disorganised.

On the upside, a decent distance from town.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear John,
Many thanks for your review.
We have taken on board your comments about breakfast - the team are normally well-drilled so we look forward to not seeing a repeat of the chaos you allude to! On a positive, we have started again with our WiFi and installed new hardware trhoughout. We look forward to this work being completed by the end of July.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Checked in for a night away visiting a relative, 2 adults and 3 children under 11years old. Could not believe the number of stags and hens booking in... literally coachloads! Bit apprehensive to see this, though I had read a previous review about lots of stags and hens, but we felt very self conscious as we appeared to be the only family there.

Were given our rooms, the first one was ok, the second room absolutely STANK of cigarettes and the sofa was covered in cigarette burns, as this was a non smoking room we went down to reception and they immediately moved us, no problems, that was good.

However the other room which seemed ok we later realised was on floor 2, literally overlooking the front of the hotel, where the stags and hens gathered to smoke and wait for taxis into leeds for a massive night out. Constant shouting, banging of car doors from 11am when they appeared to go out and then arrive back at 3am? 4am? Basically from the early hours pissed people going out and arriving back right under my window.

Why did the hotel not put all the hens and stags at the front of the hotel where it's noisy and families (i.e us!) at the back where it's quiet??

Also, smoking appears to be an 'option' in the non smoking rooms as there is a sign which states "if you choose to smoke in this room you will be charged £100" implying that you CAN smoke if you want to - so they do!

Also smoking in the stairs going downstairs and someone left a can of lager for us to trip over on way down the stairs in the morning.

As far as I can see this hotel has some deal going with hen and stag parties at weekends so if you want a quiet night away with family, I'd go elsewhere.

PS do the smoke alarms not work anywhere in the hotel?? What happens if there is a fire?

Room Tip: Away from the front of the hotel at weekends
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Imogen212,
Thank you very much for your detailed review.
First I must apologise that you had a disrupted night's sleep. As the largest hotel in Leeds we do attract a broad mix of guests and, as Leeds is a destination for groups partying during the summer, we do tend to get our fair share!
Just to address some of your feedback. We do not allow smoking anywhere in the building. It is not optional and as you mention a £100 cost is incurred should they do so. Our smoke alarms are fully functioning. Those smoking-schemesters tend to put a sock over or dice with death by hanging out of the window to get a nicotine fix.
With regards to placing guests on the relevant floor, it is something that we do focus on and generally our guests are very pleased with how we allocated rooms. If we had have placed you on the other side of the building then the disurbance would possibly have been of the doors opening and closing on the floor that you were located on.
Many thanks again for your feedback and I hope that we can welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Great location when driving in to Leeds. On the edge of town but within a 10 min walk it the city centre and even less to the lovely Granary Wharf and the pubs/restaurants near there.
Lovely new bar, with a pub feel, nice rooms and lovely staff.
Would recommend for a girlie shopping break or couples night out. Good value for money and parking on site makes it an easy option.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Wendy,
Many thanks for a very nice review!
It is fantatsic to see that you enjoeyed your stay with us so much. I will pass your comments on to the team - they will be very pleased, I'm sure!
I hope we can wleocme you back very soon.