“A great time”

Price range: US$16 - US$40
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Contemporary, British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Championing premium local produce and offering a refined yet relaxed menu, Rare is a one-of-a-kind hideaway in Leeds. Enjoy succulent, whole roasted chickens served on a spike, freshly muddled cocktails, and meats brined, braised and slow-cooked in house for melt-in-the-mouth flavours. Chunky wood tables, free Wi-Fi and a range of eclectic specialist newspapers and magazines aid the laidback ambience at Rare restaurant, while local DJ legend Lucy Locket curates bespoke Rare playlists.
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I was taken here recently by a friend and I really enjoyed it. Really tasty food with great service.

Would definitely go again!

Matthew075, Owner at Rare, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

A short and sweet review, but we clearly ticked the right boxes!
Thanks,

Reviewed 8 May 2014

This was my first trip to Leeds and I was recommended Rare by a friend. Service, food,drinks and vibe was first class. The decor was really cool (loved the stuffed cow!) Steak was tremendous and my wife loved the pork bely. I will definitely be going back again.

Matthew075, Owner at Rare, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

I'm glad your wife loved the pork belly, we are far more than just a Steakhouse!
It's great to hear the service, decor and atmosphere were up to scratch too.
See you when your back in Leeds.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

I didn’t book a table, but on a busy Saturday night they still accommodated five of us with a table in the bar area. The staff were very welcoming, and took time to explain what food on offer. You may have to ask them to talk through the weights & pricing as it wasn’t clear on the menu. But once you get past that, the food was great. I had a sharing option, which was pricey but in hindsight we probably ordered too much! However my steak was delicious and tender, very high quality and worth the price.

I would absolutely return and recommend to others.

Matthew075, Owner at Rare, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

We are really pleased you enjoyed your evening eating in our bar area, we've made a lot of improvements tot he decoration since we opened.
We know we are not the cheapest, but as you mentioned the quality makes it worth the price.
Thanks for taking the time to review Rare.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

A foodie friend recommended we go Rare as we were in town for the weekend. So a group of us went along for Sunday lunch. When we arrived we were greeted by a smiling face, saying Hello!
Whatever you do - please keep that up!!! A lot of newer places are too snooty or 'cool for school' when you arrive. Good to see a new place that gets the importance of first impressions . . . anyway. . . .
We had read about the taxidermy, and the window display was very smart. However the cow downstairs was incredible and a real talking point. The kids in articular were fascinated.
Having been out the night before, I was looking forward to a bloody mary. It was immense and great seeing horseradish being used properly in a bloody mary, and with decent vodka.
When looking over the menu some wee sausages came out to nibble on - they were a treat.
We ordered a mix of food. The chef had some nice vegetarian option which was good to see.
For starters there was cured duck salad, chicken wings, bread, goats cheese salad. Everyone really enjoyed their food. For mains nut roast, chicken burger, beef burger, pork belly all with great vegetables and potatoes. I had the roast beef of the day, and it was absolutely amazing. One of the nicest bits of beef I have ever eaten. The Yorkshire puddings, cauliflower cheese and carrots were other highlights. Again everyone loved their food.
The wine list was good, and everyone loved a glass or two of the Torre del Fiasco Amarone. That is a great wine and at a reasonable price for a restaurant. The beers were varied and interesting, great to see a scottish lager on the menu St Mungos. A couple of the party had some cocktails and whilst they came at a price, they thought they were superb and well worth it, like my bloody mary.
The service was very good. It was very busy and the staff seemed to cope well. We sat in the courtyard after lunch for a drink before we left, and the bar staff again had a nice friendly manner about them. I could imagine this courtyard becoming a real
Overall - we really, really enjoyed the visit to Rare and will look forward to going back in the summer when we are in Leeds again.

1  Thank Mercedes1970
Matthew075, Owner at Rare, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Kind words that are really appreciated.
Bloody Marys, some quality lunch and some time with family are what Sundays are all about.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Not Good Service from start of the evening to the end and the Music in Restaurant was too loud. This was a shame as the food and the look of the place was good. Just need to improve on the service,.
We needed to ask for everything even who do we need to tell we are here, told 2 members of staff and still know one seated or came to see us after 20 minutes.

1  Thank Jan-130563
Matthew075, Owner at Rare, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

I'm so sorry about the service and the music.
Could you let me know when you visited matthew@eatdrinkrare.com, so I can investigate and make it up to you.