“Really enjoyed our night”
Review of Rare - CLOSED

Rare
Price range: US$17 - US$42
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Contemporary, British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Championing premium local produce and offering a refined yet relaxed menu, Rare is a one-of-a-kind hideaway in Leeds. Enjoy succulent, whole roasted chickens served on a spike, freshly muddled cocktails, and meats brined, braised and slow-cooked in house for melt-in-the-mouth flavours. Chunky wood tables, free Wi-Fi and a range of eclectic specialist newspapers and magazines aid the laidback ambience at Rare restaurant, while local DJ legend Lucy Locket curates bespoke Rare playlists.
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Slightly quirky place with a cool vibe going on. Enjoyed our steaks though disappointed there was no fillet. Had a rump instead and it was actually very good and not chewy at all. Sides delicious especially the kale with mushrooms. The waitress was excellent and we had great service. Will definitely come back when next in Leeds

Matthew075, Owner at Rare, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

It's great that you had an enjoyable evening with us and even better that you will return. Thanks for taking the time to review us.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

As lovers of steak, my girlfriend and I had been looking forward to Rare for a while. The place itself has been nicely furnished and there's a good atmosphere downstairs when it's busy. As for the steak, we were talked through the board with the various cuts and breeds. Each steak is available in different sizes from 300g up. However, we were surprised that they'd sold out of the sirloin up to 500g by about 7.30. So my girlfriend had to have 200g more than she wanted at an extra £15. I went for the porterhouse and my girlfriend had the sirloin. The steaks were good but not brilliant; the fillet part of my porterhouse was perfect and the rest was good. However, I tried the sirloin and despite it being perfectly cooked it was very chewy. Overall, for the price (c£35 for a 500g steak, £100+tip in total) we felt like it was lacking in the experience; it didn't feel like an event. We found Gaucho to be pretentious but there was bit more theatre to it. Would I go back? Yes, we'd like to try the themed nights Rare Taste Wednesdays but probably not for the evening menu.

Matthew075, Owner at Rare, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

I'm really sorry some of your experience was not up to standard. We pride ourselves on great meat in a relaxed informal environment.
Can you mail me at matthew@eatdrinkrare.com

Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

I came here with my boyfriend a couple of weeks ago for Sunday lunch. It was absolutely gorgeous- we both had the beef which was perfectly cooked and came with delicious vegetables, great roasties and a mammoth Yorkshire pudding. The portion size was just what you want from a Sunday lunch (not huge so it's overfacing but definitely won't leave you still hungry afterwards) and it's good value for money. The service was second to none and although it was fairly quiet when we arrived it had a lovely friendly atmosphere. The staff seem passionate and I was recommended a coffee cocktail after my meal which was amazing! The wine we had with our meal was really nice and the decor is cool and unique.
They also have an inviting outdoor area which is great in the sun. I loved the taxidermy they have on display and we'll definitely be returning.
Would highly recommend to anyone!

Matthew075, Owner at Rare, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Really glad you enjoyed your Sunday lunch particularly the Yorkshire puds. You will have to pop back and try one of our legendary Wing Ribs when you get the chance.
Thanks for the review,

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I went at the weekend and the food was nice, nothing overly special really in comparison to Reds not far away. When we finished eating, we went upstairs for some drinks..the drink selection is quite poor unless you are into your spririts...£11.50 for a small wine and 3 quarters of a pint. I was absolutely shocked. I think the bartender was also shocked as he was embarrassed telling me the price. It would have been more acceptable if the wine was worth the price but I left over half of it as it was awful cheap stuff. Shall not be back. Which is a pity as it is a nice bar and has an absolutely lovely outside area but definitely not worth the price :(

Matthew075, Owner at Rare, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Minnie can you mail me matthew@eatdrinkrare.com and let me know which wine you had to drink and to discuss your visit to Rare.

Thanks,

Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Quality restaurant. Quality service and fantastic food...couldn't fault it at all will go back for another hearty meal. Loved the bloody Marys too.

Matthew075, Owner at Rare, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Thanks for taking the time to review our hearty fayre and restaurant, we are pleased that we got it right for you.

Look forward to making you another Bloody Mary soon!