“Crack house would have been nicer”
Review of Manxdene Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Leeds
Manxdene Hotel
Ranked #21 of 25 Leeds B&B and Inns
“Crack house would have been nicer”
Reviewed 14 August 2011

I came for the night and when I got outside my jaw dropped and that was just the start as I will tell u the nightmare started with a front door with no window, once in the hall way I had to ring to say I had arrived only to be greeted by mortica from Addams family, once in the room I thought this is a decent room but after an inspection I was proved wrong as there was a damp patch above the bed, there wasn't any bulbs in the bedside lamps and they had used a plaster to cover where the bulb should be, we had no hot water so couldn't use the shower, every time the toilet was flushed it was like a foghorn as stated in a previous review and when it came to breakfast the cups and cutlery were filthy and she poured the coffee and there was a hair spout of the coffee jug after she had poured it which just made me sick to my stomach, so word to the wise, stay away From 154 woodleyrd

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank Craggy_p

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2011

11 lads 40th birthday we pulled up outside and didn't want to get of the bus.when we went into reception we knew we had made a bad mistake i don't think the place had been cleaned for 20yrs. we were all shown to our rooms my room was well below average i have seen better furniture at my local skips above my bed in the corner of the cieling was a damp ball the size of a football. i have stayed in many hotels in my time but can honestly say i have never stayed in anything as bad as this. breakfast was ok though!!!!!! couldn't wait to get out and have a bath.

Room Tip: just do not do it
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Leeds hotels

Machynlleth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2011

I was honestly shocked when i came on here and read some of these comments - and i'm glad i didn't read them before i went cos the comments are rubbish! A comment about the 'Cruella de ville' actually made me laugh when i read it - shes the nicest person in the world!
They're small rooms, and small prices. was a comfortable bed and good, quiet nights sleep. 5 mins from uni and maybe 20 from the city centre.
It's not a 5 star hotel, but honestly don't expect the Ritz and it's fine. I'd happily stay there again :)

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2011

Stayed at this hotel for a month from January 2011 to Feb 2011. The guest house is not far from the city centre. The service from the manager is excellant and breafast consisted of tea/coffee, orange juice, cerial and a full English breakfast (inclusive of the room rate). The hotel is in need of a lick of paint and some minor repairs, however for the rates charged and location one cannot complain. If you are wanting a five star hotel you need to be prepaired to pay five star rates, especially if you are coming to a city like Leeds. I have no quibbles for I paid a low rate and feel I got good value for the money paid.

The rooms ensuite rooms upstairs are more suited for a weekend break where as the non ensuite are more suited for a quick stop over. I would definetly stop here again.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2010

went with my daughter as she had an interveiw at the uni and didnt fancy hitting the traffic on monday morning.when entered the building the first thing that hit me was the smell.then we had to wait till he got the room ready,buy the way he could hardly speak english and the lady wasnt there.then we saw the room and once again the smell of pee hit you first,the carpet was filthy,the beds wernt made proper and the tv was on a chair,i complained about the room and he then showed me another,the beds were not even made in that one so i asked for my money back and went back home to bolton,i will tackle the traffic in the morning.the location for the uni was the only thing good about this b and b.

• Stayed December 2010
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2010

8 of us stayed in this "hotel" for one night for a friend's 21st. She booked it online after seeing the lovely pictures (which frankly, could only have been purged from a "better homes" magazine because even the room shapes didn't match) and seeing that it was 10 minutes away from the city centre (in a taxi, yes). So much to write that echoes the other reviews. I'll try and be brief; filth from top to bottom, room checks dated 27/08/09 and 13/3/10. My room (7) was considered the luxury sweet by my friends as it contained a mirror and sink that weren't absolutely filthy and covered in hair/grime/other unidentifiable things. My wardrobe door refused to close which meant I had to fight against it to even walk into my room, the room stank, the heating didn't work, the windows on all rooms were left wide open all day (i arrived later than my companions) and so all rooms were freezing. My friends rooms had a variety of: ceilings falling in, places with no carpet as they'd clearly run out, broken window frames which provided a constant draft, dirty/chipped glasses, broken mirrors stuck back together with masking tape, a window that once opened refused to close, and everytime anyone flushed the toilet the rooms around were bombarded with a noise that can only be described as resembling a foghorn. The beds were hard, towels dirty, bathrooms grimey. Dust hung from every crevice and light fitting. Bins hadn't been emptied. Two of my friends downstairs were woken at 5am (and subsequently kept awake) by the house alarm going off, which didnt seem to bother the lady who ran the place who seemed half deaf when you asked her for anything anyway, and my friend had to disable it. Between 8 of us we were given 2 front door keys, 1 didnt work, but then she never bothered locking the door anyway which gave rise to security concerns and when given our room keys we were told not to lose them as they were THE ONLY ONE SHE HAD FOR EACH ROOM! it took me 20 minutes to get my key as she took my money (£20) didnt give me a receipt and disappeared, at which point I thought she had gone to retrieve my key. After 10 minutes had passed I knocked again and her son (about 8/9 years old) was sat at the computer desk, shouted her. She came back and asked what I wanted, when I told her I'd like the key she took another long while to find it. When we returned to the b and b at 2am her young son was still sat on the computer and had to shout her when we asked for our room keys back. She seemed unaware he was even still up. Breakfast was an ordel, it took around 20-25 minutes to get a round of toast and there were 6 of us eating in the whole dining room. We had to use self-service for cereal and juice which was warm and had no glasses to use for juice, having to re-use our own cups for tea/coffee after. No teaspoons provided, she didnt ask what we wanted with our breakfasts and she spent a long time cooking it. The sausages were cheap and gristly, and undercooked, the beans swamped the plate, my "tomato" was a mashed up piece of tomato skin about an inch in diameter, hard cooking margerine as opposed to the butter advertised, dirty cutlery, three were brought out together and after another 10-15 mins the other three were, with mushrooms- not even offered to the first lot. by the time I got my fried bread the rest of my breakfast was cold or eaten and the fried bread had been deep-fried and so didnt contain much bread but merely solid oil. It was then we had found out she had charged one of our friends double the price she had charged us (£40 for a single room as opposed to the £20 she charged us) when confronted she said it had obviously been charged as an en-suite, she couldnt remember what rooms we were in (none of us had en-suites) and floundered before giving her the £20 back and telling us that really we should have all paid £30 but she reduced it as we were a group. Almost as if we had gotten a bargain!!! The kitchen was revolting with food all over the floor and pans stacked high. I find it hard to believe people have stayed here and given it a good service or cleanliness rating because the truth is it wasnt. I have stayed in some horrific places before but this place shouldn't even be allowed to trade. There is no regard for basic health and safety, let's not even start on hygeine, I feel absolutely appalled that someone could take their children there into that and for that I am very glad I came with friends who were at least aware of all the dangers that place posed. My friend has photos that have disgusted everyone who has seen them and I am sure she will post a review shortly.
Never ever ever ever visit this place!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2010

This was a truly awful experience,dirty,paper peeling off walls,no hot water,tv not working,no heating,horrible smell.Unbelievable.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple