“Clean, Polite and Friendly: Pleasantly Surprised”
Review of Manxdene Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Leeds
Manxdene Hotel
Ranked #21 of 26 Leeds B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 August 2010

Went to Leeds for a night out with friends. Booked before I saw the reviews here and was dreading it. Have to say was pleasantly surprised... Rooms were clean and airy, not spacious but big enough and all facilities were in order.

Landlady was gracious and helpful - even offering to serve us a late breakfast - which was sumptuous - when she found out we were likely to be out late.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends

Reviewed 4 July 2010

I have just looked at the website and my jaw hangs loose in disbelief...not least the photos of the rooms which drew me in to book!. There is no description to the squalor and filth and dirt (human nail clipping next to your bed...nice!), The fire certificate is dated 1977, doesn't that tell you all. I cannot begin to describe what greeted me (thank goodness I only booked for one night). I can cope with care worn, scuffed but filth, torn curtains, holes in the wallls, filthy toilet, vegetarian breakfast no problem if you don't mind everything swimmimg in baked beans. A front door key that doesn't fit and where do the 2 stars come in???
Just read and weep and go somewhere else. By the way the tariff is a moveable feast depending on the way of the wind !

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 May 2010

When we checked in (late afternoon) the room had not been cleaned properly.
This was done after we complained but TV reception was non existent & there was no hot water for showers or washing.
Breakfast was a complete joke. We were the only people down for breakfast but it still took 50 mins to arrive. The ominous bit was we could hear cooking sounds for most of that time. Then it stopped & we could hear the sound of washing up & putting away. In the end I went into the kitchen & the "cook" said he was just about to bring it to us so I returned to our table. We could still hear the sound of him tidying up so I returned to the kitchen & picked up our breakfasts myself! It was dreadful - mostly inedible (apart from the beans that were merely dried up). Everything was overcooked apart from the middle of the sausages, which were still pink.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 May 2010

me and 9 other girls booked this "hotel", worst experience ever !! warm welcome now thats a joke, more like the smell of curry slapped in ur face as soon as you walk in, and being showed to your room by someone who was basically rude ! the rooms were like an episode of vacancy, no word of a lie me and the girls thort we werent going to get out alive ! each room has a small cupboard, my advice is DO NOT OPEN IT !! no heating in the rooms, so yeah your like a block of ice when it comes to bed time !. We had one of the employees, threatening to give our rooms away as we had complained. we left at 9 in the morning ASAP ! could not spend one more minute in that HELL HOLE !
DO NOT have breakfast, the hygiene in that kitchen is unbelievable !! never ever ever shall we return here ! p.s the nice friendly woman who gives you a warm welcome as stated on the manxdene hotel website looks like NANNY MCPHEE !! End.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 November 2009

Our hearts sank a little when we saw the hanging basket and container by the front door with uncared-for, in fact, dead plants. Even in November these could have been filled with pansies (or...just put them out of sight!). We tried the doorbell several times, but it didn't work, so had to phone to get the landlady to let us in. She tried the bell and it worked for her - said it was 'temperamental'. We stayed in rooms 9 and 11 on the top floor.

Room 11 had no toilet paper. The window wouldn't close (meaning, as someone else here pointed out, that anyone could get into the room easily via the fire escape steps). The towels were hard, stained, threadbare rags!!! There was a cigarette stub by the toilet. The spare blanket was covered with (human) hairs. The table was heavily stained; the landlady said she'd bring up a tablecloth, but evidently forgot.

Room 9 had toilet paper (the thinnest sort imaginable). But the toilet was dirty! The 'spare' blankets in there were of the thinnest sort, so I asked for more. The landlady said she'd bring some up, but...forgot. The carpet hadn't been hoovered. The radiator was so noisy it woke me up through the night every 20 minutes. Ironically, it didn't come on in the morning, or at least it didn't release any heat, so the room was cold.

The dining room was cold, and looked out onto an unkempt garden. On booking a couple of weeks previously, I'd asked if I could have some fruit as my breakfast. The landlady said she generally had bananas, oranges and apples, and was there any fruit I particularly liked? I said melon - she said she'd get some! (I'd been really charmed by that). But, you can guess....no melon. Landlady wasn't there, person doing breakfast who spoke little English had no knowledge. There were two bananas available.

We spoke to another 'guest', who said that her bad hadn't been made, there was no heating in her room and she'd been freezing all night, and that her sheets were dirty.

I so wish I'd checked the reviews before booking this place, and will never book a B & B again without doing so.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2009

I was fortunate enough to come across Manxdene hotel as the service I received was excellent in terms of the food, the rooms and the information regarding the city and how I could visit York, Harrogate and Knaresborough by train. The hotel is an easy walking distance from the train station. I would love to visit Leeds again and would certainly chose to stay over in Manxdene hotel the next time.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 October 2009

we was on a stag do, 8 lads, 200 for 4 double rooms..
we paid on arrival, was given reciept, then told we still owed £20?? not paid.
we were given keys to rooms, 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9!
all the rooms were in bad repair, room 8 smelt of chicken, room 9 already had a guest staying in it. room 5 had a bowl of half eaten cornflakes under the bed! also, on the first floor landing, there is a dresser/ beurau with shards of glass (ALOT of them) in, very safe in a hotel that could accomodate children!
we then left for our night out, to recieve phonecalls telling us that we had got the wrong rooms and had to go back and sort it out, again we didnt!

please feel free to join this page on Facebook and share your stories:

[--]