“Manxdene? More like Manky-dene! avoid like the plague!”
Review of Manxdene Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Leeds
Manxdene Hotel
Ranked #21 of 25 Leeds B&B and Inns
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“Manxdene? More like Manky-dene! avoid like the plague!”
Reviewed 15 November 2010

8 of us stayed in this "hotel" for one night for a friend's 21st. She booked it online after seeing the lovely pictures (which frankly, could only have been purged from a "better homes" magazine because even the room shapes didn't match) and seeing that it was 10 minutes away from the city centre (in a taxi, yes). So much to write that echoes the other reviews. I'll try and be brief; filth from top to bottom, room checks dated 27/08/09 and 13/3/10. My room (7) was considered the luxury sweet by my friends as it contained a mirror and sink that weren't absolutely filthy and covered in hair/grime/other unidentifiable things. My wardrobe door refused to close which meant I had to fight against it to even walk into my room, the room stank, the heating didn't work, the windows on all rooms were left wide open all day (i arrived later than my companions) and so all rooms were freezing. My friends rooms had a variety of: ceilings falling in, places with no carpet as they'd clearly run out, broken window frames which provided a constant draft, dirty/chipped glasses, broken mirrors stuck back together with masking tape, a window that once opened refused to close, and everytime anyone flushed the toilet the rooms around were bombarded with a noise that can only be described as resembling a foghorn. The beds were hard, towels dirty, bathrooms grimey. Dust hung from every crevice and light fitting. Bins hadn't been emptied. Two of my friends downstairs were woken at 5am (and subsequently kept awake) by the house alarm going off, which didnt seem to bother the lady who ran the place who seemed half deaf when you asked her for anything anyway, and my friend had to disable it. Between 8 of us we were given 2 front door keys, 1 didnt work, but then she never bothered locking the door anyway which gave rise to security concerns and when given our room keys we were told not to lose them as they were THE ONLY ONE SHE HAD FOR EACH ROOM! it took me 20 minutes to get my key as she took my money (£20) didnt give me a receipt and disappeared, at which point I thought she had gone to retrieve my key. After 10 minutes had passed I knocked again and her son (about 8/9 years old) was sat at the computer desk, shouted her. She came back and asked what I wanted, when I told her I'd like the key she took another long while to find it. When we returned to the b and b at 2am her young son was still sat on the computer and had to shout her when we asked for our room keys back. She seemed unaware he was even still up. Breakfast was an ordel, it took around 20-25 minutes to get a round of toast and there were 6 of us eating in the whole dining room. We had to use self-service for cereal and juice which was warm and had no glasses to use for juice, having to re-use our own cups for tea/coffee after. No teaspoons provided, she didnt ask what we wanted with our breakfasts and she spent a long time cooking it. The sausages were cheap and gristly, and undercooked, the beans swamped the plate, my "tomato" was a mashed up piece of tomato skin about an inch in diameter, hard cooking margerine as opposed to the butter advertised, dirty cutlery, three were brought out together and after another 10-15 mins the other three were, with mushrooms- not even offered to the first lot. by the time I got my fried bread the rest of my breakfast was cold or eaten and the fried bread had been deep-fried and so didnt contain much bread but merely solid oil. It was then we had found out she had charged one of our friends double the price she had charged us (£40 for a single room as opposed to the £20 she charged us) when confronted she said it had obviously been charged as an en-suite, she couldnt remember what rooms we were in (none of us had en-suites) and floundered before giving her the £20 back and telling us that really we should have all paid £30 but she reduced it as we were a group. Almost as if we had gotten a bargain!!! The kitchen was revolting with food all over the floor and pans stacked high. I find it hard to believe people have stayed here and given it a good service or cleanliness rating because the truth is it wasnt. I have stayed in some horrific places before but this place shouldn't even be allowed to trade. There is no regard for basic health and safety, let's not even start on hygeine, I feel absolutely appalled that someone could take their children there into that and for that I am very glad I came with friends who were at least aware of all the dangers that place posed. My friend has photos that have disgusted everyone who has seen them and I am sure she will post a review shortly.
Never ever ever ever visit this place!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2010

This was a truly awful experience,dirty,paper peeling off walls,no hot water,tv not working,no heating,horrible smell.Unbelievable.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Leeds hotels

Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2010

The room was OK but the cleanliness in the hotel is very much below standard. The stairs and landing don't seem to have been ever cleaned. It is very conveniently located next to the University of Leeds, which is why we chose it but I would not go back there.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
rugby
Reviewed 16 August 2010

Nothing you could write would describe the filth, smell, horrific conditions that this 'guesthouse' offers. from the Cruella de Ville who runs the place , charging an 'ad hoc' range of prices, it is dreadful. It was so awful I had to escape to another place to stay on the second night. The place is FILTHY and smells dreadfully. If you lie threadbare everything then this is the place for yoy. Don;t eat the breakfast as the kitchen is a health risk. I have teried to contact Leeds council to hav the place closed down but as usual you have top go through the endless list of complaints. The fire risk/award/authentication certificate is dated 1977!!!!!!!!!!!!
do I need to say more but avoid, not like the plague. but in case you catch it. (PS read the other reviews and mine is lightweight)

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2010

Went to Leeds for a night out with friends. Booked before I saw the reviews here and was dreading it. Have to say was pleasantly surprised... Rooms were clean and airy, not spacious but big enough and all facilities were in order.

Landlady was gracious and helpful - even offering to serve us a late breakfast - which was sumptuous - when she found out we were likely to be out late.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2010

I have just looked at the website and my jaw hangs loose in disbelief...not least the photos of the rooms which drew me in to book!. There is no description to the squalor and filth and dirt (human nail clipping next to your bed...nice!), The fire certificate is dated 1977, doesn't that tell you all. I cannot begin to describe what greeted me (thank goodness I only booked for one night). I can cope with care worn, scuffed but filth, torn curtains, holes in the wallls, filthy toilet, vegetarian breakfast no problem if you don't mind everything swimmimg in baked beans. A front door key that doesn't fit and where do the 2 stars come in???
Just read and weep and go somewhere else. By the way the tariff is a moveable feast depending on the way of the wind !

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2010

When we checked in (late afternoon) the room had not been cleaned properly.
This was done after we complained but TV reception was non existent & there was no hot water for showers or washing.
Breakfast was a complete joke. We were the only people down for breakfast but it still took 50 mins to arrive. The ominous bit was we could hear cooking sounds for most of that time. Then it stopped & we could hear the sound of washing up & putting away. In the end I went into the kitchen & the "cook" said he was just about to bring it to us so I returned to our table. We could still hear the sound of him tidying up so I returned to the kitchen & picked up our breakfasts myself! It was dreadful - mostly inedible (apart from the beans that were merely dried up). Everything was overcooked apart from the middle of the sausages, which were still pink.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business