“Good morning out.”

Tropical World
Ranked #9 of 152 things to do in Leeds
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Tropical World at Roundhay Park is one of the most well-loved family attractions in Leeds and only three miles from the city centre. At Tropical World you can take a trek through the rainforest; stopping off briefly in the outback of Australia before a quick excursion through the desert, and all in the same morning! It is home to some old friends that include rare birds, crocodiles, butterflies, bats, spiders, snakes and the meerkats - the cutest family in Leeds. It re-opened in March 2015. This follows some stunning renovations that include the aquarium area transformed into a new Amazon themed zone where you can see new residents including piranhas and salamanders.
Leeds
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Good morning out.”
Reviewed 28 August 2014 via mobile

Just coming back from our first visit to Tropical World. It was reasonably priced and not overly busy. We spent just under 2 hours inside. Tropical World leads you through different tropical enclosures some of which have various creatures flying around your head (birds, butterflies) and some others have more traditional glass screens for you to observe (snakes, lizards, tortoises etc). Our preferred areas were those with the colourful birds and butterflies, although spotting all the different types was very hard. It was fascinating watching them. The bats were also amazing to watch. Beware though it is very hot so best to leave coats in the car if possible and take water. The toilets weren't the cleanest I've visited however.
Outside there are some beautiful gardens where we sat and had a picnic. Then over the road there is Roundhay Park, which is a brilliant day out in itself.

2 Thank Crombiefamily

• Polish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Really nice attraction”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

For a trip out for under 5s it is hard to beat Tropical World. Under 5s are free and adults are reasonably priced. Some great snakes, fish and birds to see as well as the butterflies flying freely. The meerkats are also a big highlight.
My only reservations which stopped me scoring this as Excellent are the toilet facilities are not great - I did however notice building work outside that indicated that improvements to the cafe, aquariums and toilets are underway. The other reservation is that it doesn't take that long to complete the loop of Tropical World so don't turn up expecting to spend a day there, I find that 1hr - 1.5hrs is more than enough time for your trip.

1 Thank joeysel
“Nice place”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I've been here few times with family, very nice place to visit, but this time the staff were rude and ignorant, we came in around 5pm, place closes at 6pm, we had one whole hour, when I got to the counter to pay, there was 4 members of staff behind the counter, not one of them step forward to serve me. They were too busy chatting and giggling at each other, then finally one of the girls served me, they just wasn't bothered about the customers at all, and when we came out to leave and was looking at the stuffs in the shop area, the staff were still giggling and joking about something that they found really hilarious, it just felt like they were making comments about customers and laughing about it blatantly in our face, soo rude and ignorant staff, apart from this disgusting customer service, everything else was ok....

Bradford, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“great fun”
Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

I took my grandchildren for the day out it was great.my grandchildren are 3 and 4.they had smiles on there faces all the way round. When we got near the end there smiles turned to fear as they walked past the triantulas.i found it so funny.great time out and cheap 5 and unders go free .less than £3 for adults .looking forward to going again

1 Thank darrangray G
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Nice little outing for young ones. ”
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

I came here with my family and my 11 month old. It was quite busy as it was the school holidays despite it being quite a nice day and all indoors. When you walk in the heat is immense and if you wear glasses... Well don't expect to see much for a few minutes while your glasses clear!! The butterflies flying around freely is nice, my son loved that. And they will just land on you.

There isn't a very wide track to walk on so if you get behind a group going slow its not easy to pass. At best only wode enough for 2 or 3 abreast. The huge plastic barriers are a nightmare to get through but its obvious why they're there. There's quite a lot to see although when we went a few of the enclosures were empty and some were covered up saying they're being refurbished.

It doesn't take very long to get round here so you couldn't account for your full day here but it is a nice little outing. My little one seemed to enjoy it.

The cafe next to it was nice if not swarming with wasps. Inside and out. They did have lots to choose from. There was a gift shop with a few bits in but would be nicer if there was more "tropical world related things " in rather than just a glorified toy shop. It was however very expensive.

Above all it was a afternoon out. We weren't really here very long so would probably plan for somewhere else next time too.

2 Thank Gemma H