“Good value but awful customer service”

Holiday Inn Express Leeds City Centre-Armouries
Ranked #51 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
“Good value but awful customer service”
Reviewed 28 August 2011

When me and my friends arrived for three nights I was told to pay a 50 pounds security deposit!( which we had three rooms) they did not tell me this when I booked the room either. I asked if the money would be taken out of my account, they said no but they hold the money for about four days! Which I was not happy about. Each member of staff told me different answers to when the.money was going back into my acccount! J had to phone my bank up which cost me! The staff were not helpful and one even rolled his eyes at me! The rooms were nice but too noisy was woken up by lorries and by their cleaners asking us if we wanted our rooms cleaned at 8am!
The breakfast was horrriabe and cold.
Would not recommend hotel!

• Stayed August 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Jarrow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2011

We stayed in a family room with our grandsons on a trip to the Armouries, it was ideal for us. The room was very clean , the breakfast was good ,the staff friendly , the area outside was great for the boys to run around while we sat and relaxed with a drink what more could you want for £46 . we are looking to go back but this time on our own.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Benidorm / Liverpool
Reviewed 26 August 2011

Stayed 3 nights and can't really complain. 10 Min walk to city centre. Decent sized room and breakfast not as bad as I had feared. Plenty of choice, nice sausages, beans, scrambled egg (sort of)! yogurts, fruit, cereals, breads, juices and coffee etc. 3 days running the scrambled egg was unedible, very dry like powder. Stayed tues, wed, thurs, and breakfast area very quiet. Staff friendly and helpful, but felt like a naughty boy re £50 deposit. (see below).

Was not advised they need a £50 deposit until I checked in, and basically didn't have it. Was asked if I could pay cash instead, eventually told it was ok but was a bit embarrassed in front of other people to be honest. I only had £40 on each of my debit cards. It should be made clearer. I saved up for this little break as a treat as I am in quite bad health and am poor, so couldn't magic £50 out of nowhere. I think this alone would stop me staying at a Holiday Inn Express again, but for most people probably wouldn't be a problem. It sort of did spoil my trip though, kept sneaking past reception after that and wanted the floor to swallow me up. Never been asked for a deposit before at any hotel.

That aside, the hotel is fine.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2011

Our stay at the Armouries Hotel in Leeds, was not a pleasant one. The 'full' english breakfast consisted of sausage, beans and egg, which was of poor quality. The customer service received at the hotel was not satisfactory, we were not greeted on arrival or thanked as we checked out. Upon arrival we were asked to give our credit card details and submit a fee/deposit of £50 in case their was 'substantial damage' made to the hotel room. We were very careful to not damage any of the items in our room and slept on our own towels to avoid fake tan getting onto the bed sheets.

However regarding this a small amount of fake tan happened to come in contact with the bed covers, as a result I received a phone call after our stay saying that the £50 deposit has been taken out of my bank account! We were accused of ''mud and blood being on the sheets and the towels being wet" 'As a matter of fact, the mud and blood is fake tan, which is washable and used daily by many women, it may look like blood, but this is the usual appearance of St. Moritz foam. I was told that they need to be sent of for special service to be cleaned but that does not cover a 50 pound cost. As for the towels being wet, those were used to protect the floor of the overflowing shower which when on at high speed, does enter the bathroom floor. Personally I think this is a disgrace seen as though it does not cost £50 to clean a sheet. As a result of this I would not recommend ANYONE to stay here and would advice those that do to be extra careful in not getting ANY stains on the towels or bed covers.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank poorhotel C

Travellers are raving about these Leeds hotels

Reviewed 18 August 2011

Managed to book a room on Vist Leeds summer offer of £20.11! Fantastic value. Good basic, clean with friendly staff. Good location for Leeds centre, away from the hustle, 10 minute walk along the canal to the corn exchange, quiet, safe area. Room ready on arrival at 10.30 and were allowed to check in. Nice bar area with reasonably priced drinks. Parking at multi storey next door, drive in collect a ticket, park and go to hotel, on check out they give you a discount voucher and you pay the ticket man in the customer service office in the car park before you leave, £8.00 for 24hrs. Breakfast was self service cold buffet with hot sausages, eggs and beans a nice added extra although a little busy with people confused as to what to do. Would stay again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Uncomfortable beds, noisy corridors, awful food. Hotels don't get much worse than this.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
IHGCare, ihg care at Holiday Inn Express Leeds City Centre-Armouries, responded to this review, 24 August 2011
Thank you very much for your precious feedback and please accept our apologies for the inconveniences you have experienced during your stay.
We have sent you a private message to obtain additional details about your experience. IHGCare^bj
Reviewed 15 August 2011

What a great hotel, small enough to give a full and friendly service, but large enough to to have services that you want and will use. For example a small bar but a big area to relax in, watch TV, or just chat to friends. A very good complimentary breakfast service that doesn't finish until 10.30. Just a 10 minute walk from the city and opposite a great museum.
And from what I coud see they have good meeting facilities!
I look forward to returning.
Steve

Room Tip: Nice fresh towels, a choice of pillows, comp tea and coffee in the room and of course TV and film pa...