“Bit overpriced for what it is”

Holiday Inn Express Leeds City Centre-Armouries
Ranked #49 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Stayed late September 2013 for 3 nights. The Armouries is an interesting museum in which to waste a few hours but not much else going around this area save a few bars/ restaurants that aren't exactly too popular in Leeds new 'canal-side' scene. After a while it became a bit of a chore to schlep into the town centre. This sort of hotel is the type that has been thrown up with pre-fab rooms and very basic amenities. If you shop around a bit and book much more in advance than I did (day before) then you'd probably get a reasonably similar deal at one of Leeds more interesting hotels (Queens, Metro etc). The unmetered breakfast was one of the upsides, as was the super attitude of all the staff members I dealt with. I'd stay here again, if I couldn't find something a bit close to the centre/ station.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Leeds City Centre-Armouries, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Dear Robin M,

Thank you for your comprehensive review. You have covered all aspects of your stay and I am particularly appreciative of your comments about our friendly staff. It is always hugely motivating when one takes the time and trouble to acknowledge the staff concerned.

I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer for to our guests.

Jaime W

Reviewed 28 September 2013

I write this review it because this is not the first time I find this hotel has problem with their credit.

1st time, I booked some rooms for my travel group, and when group arrived the hotel, reception checked-in by reservation paper and no problem, all my guest moved their luggage to rooms and then go out for dinner, but when they back to hotel, 2 of rooms' luggage had been moved out by hotel's staff and reception told them the rooms were over booked!!!

2nd time, last night, I booked 1 twin room for my guest, but when my guest check-in, reception told them there was double room showed in their computer, and no twin room available.

That's Incredible, what I understand is, we booked rooms with discount price, and hotel over-booked or some guest booked with their reception price, so they changed/cancelled my reservation to fulfill their good price orders... Be careful of this hotel, especially for travel agency, no credit of this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Xin Q
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Leeds City Centre-Armouries, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2013

Dear Xin Q,

First of all, we like to thank you for having chosen our hotel and we also like to thank you for having taken the time to share your valuable comment with us. Guest comments like yours are paramount for allowing us to focus our attention where guests’ feel it is necessary. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Without your guest feedback we cannot continue to improve our services.

Ferdinand G

Reviewed 27 September 2013

I was worried having read the reviews about the noise and 50gbp deposit that something will go wrong, but I I need not worry. The staff is polite and nice. They didn`t even ask as for a deposit of 50 gbp. I stayed there during weekend and even though one eveneing was a stag/hen or wedding party I didn`t hear a sound.
The room was ok, standard for HIX. Bed is comfortable and didn`t have any problem sleeping. Breakfast was very good, especially eggs and sausages. I particularly liked little cheese.
Hotel is 10 minutes away from the centre and from the bus station. The whole area on docs is rather quiet. Armouries museum is next to the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tanja001
Leeds020, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Leeds City Centre-Armouries, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Thanks for your review Tanja001!

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us!

We agree with you that the hotel is in a lovely location by the Dock, whilst only being a short walk from the cosmopolitan city centre!

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Reviewed 26 September 2013

I stayed here on business for a week and won't be back. The hotel it's self is as you would expect for this price and it could be SO much better - but it's completely let down by the rudeness and incompetency of the staff.

The check-in process was haphazard. No-one seemed to know who was doing what, who was serving who or what the process was. Two staff had an argument about who should 'sort this one out' (me) as one of the staff wanted to go on her break. When I complained all I got was a giggle and a 'sorry about that'.

As other reviewers have said, the lack of food was a big problem given the remote location of the hotel. There is literally only a Tesco Expresss within walking distance. So when I ordered food at 8:35 to be told that they only had pizza and I'd need to be quick', I had no option but go without (I'm gluten intolerant). What surprised me was the steady stream of fish and chips, burgers and the like coming from the kitchen. Had she got it wrong?

The next evening I tried again. I jokingly asked if they actually had any food left to which the lady asked what I meant. I explained what had happened the previous night only to effectively be called a liar as 'I was working last night too'. More apologetic giggling. Okay then. I'm making it up.

Room wise they're okay - as expected really and I have no complaints apart from a) they made the bed and did nothing else and b) the noisy heater unit above the door clicked all night. Other than that it was fine.

But even with the best rooms and a quality restaurant, this place is completely let down by the unprofessional, disorganised staff and because of that, I won't be back.

• Stayed: September 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Leeds City Centre-Armouries, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2013

Dear Captain_Bagpipe,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review regarding your recent stay. I am deeply sorry for the unacceptable service you have received from our staff. I assure you that this is not the norm you should expect from our hotel. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Thank you again for your comments as this is very helpful to us to ensure we are able to meet our guests expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Janice A

Reviewed 25 September 2013

The hotel is on the face of it what you would expect from a HIE. But, the experience today has been the worst of 2013. I am a business traveller and spend one or two nights away every week and I can honestly say that this is the worst of the year.

Issue 1

Miserable and unhelpful reception staff. Nobody appears to have explained to her what her role is! Useless!

Issue 2

TV system has crashed - no entertainment available. (Receptionist no clue what to do
Nor seems to care!)

Issue 3

Food. Firstly I had the audacity to order food at 8.50 PM (orders taken until 9pm). I was made to feel very uncomfortable. Secondly, when the food turned up it was dreadful.

I have given this hotel two stars, one if those is for the girl working behind the bar who was pleasant, courteous and efficient. The only bright point..

Terrible - Avoid

• Stayed: September 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Leeds City Centre-Armouries, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Dear KDC71,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Please allow us to apologize for the inconvenience you had with your in-room television and the service you encountered fell below your expectations. We also apologize you were not satisfied with the food you received. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and guest services are superior and strive to be the best hotel around. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M

Reviewed 22 September 2013

We had no complaints at all about the hotel. The room was clean and everything worked. There is a comfortable public area. Overall it was good value. The area is a bit soulless but it's very convenient for the centre and the Armouries.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

ChrisNe,

Thank you for your kind comments. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us here and we hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

I stayed in the IHG Holiday Inn hotel in Leeds Armouries, it was a business trip and I was there for 4 night consecutively, The first night I tried to log onto the internet, but could only do this through the TV channels and it was £10 a night, other hotels are £10 per week or even free. Anyhow the telly wasn't working correctly and I couldn't get the internet at all, I spoke to the desk and they said they would look into it, next night there was a different TV in the room and it still didn't work, this was the same for the next four night stay (different TV each night), so I couldn't get onto the internet and after 10 minutes the TV would turn it's self off.
On the first night I went to the resturant (if you can call it that (it was more like a tv lounge)) I ordered my meal, it took 15 minutes for the staff to decide they didn't have what I order so had to order something else (not a great deal of choice anyhow), then after each course I had to get up and chase a member of staff to sort the table for the next course, It cost around £28 and was terrible food and terrible service.
The beds were made daily, but that was the only thing done in the room, I had to chase staff for tea and coffee each day, in the end I took supplies from the breakfast stock just to replenish the room stock of tea and coffee, milk and sugar,
I would NEVER stay in this hotel again as the service and rooms were so bad.

I went to a different hotel in Leeds the following week Bewleys Hotel and it was a whole different ball game, good food good service FREE WIFI and rooms were cleaned and resupplied everyday, that was excellent service.

Room Tip: DON'T go to the IHG Holiday Inn in Leeds, go to another hotel altogether
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank watergrass1
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Leeds City Centre-Armouries, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Dear watergrass1,

Thank you for your review. All our guest comments are valuable and we consider them seriously in the consistent endeavor to improve the quality of our products and service.

We are saddened to hear of your encounters in our hotel and would like to extend our sincere apologies for the poor service level and the shortcomings you had in your room. We regret that your experience with us was not ideal and we are sorry for that you left with a bad impression about our hotel.

We appreciate your feedback as this allows us to assess where we have opportunities to make improvements. Rest assured we will make necessary improvements accordingly. We hope that you will give us another chance in the future so we can restore your faith in us.

Dhan M