“Nice, quick city centre stay - easy!”

Holiday Inn Express Leeds City Centre-Armouries
Ranked #49 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We stayed here for 1 night on a weekend. This HI Express is situated on one of the doc areas just outside of the main city centre (5-10 mins walk) and a few minutes by car/taxi. We chose this place due to the good rate for a lot of rooms as part of a group. Parking was easy in the Multi-storey just next door which was £8 for 24 hours. Check-in is always easy as a IHG Priorty Member (just handed the keys and off I went). Staff seemed very friendly and helpful, kindly pointing out it was Happy Hour in the bar...!
Room was average for HI Express, always clean. We were given a room on the 4th floor which was a disabled access room so it was larger than usual and had what looked like some great facilities for a disabled customer.
We didn't have breakfast the next day (due to the very severe hangover) but checkout was easy (again streamlined for Priority members) and we were off back to the car for a sobering trip home. I did use a small Tesco Metro store just a few minutes walk from the hotel too which was handy.
I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Hotel can get busy on the weekend with large groups so rooms at the ends of corridors recommended if...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Leeds020, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Leeds City Centre-Armouries, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2013

s0lar,

Thanks for the great review! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon...if you want to drop us an email or give us a call and we will assign you a room at the end of a corridor :)

Reviewed 21 October 2013

I stayed here on tour with a group of singers, and the staff couldn't do enough for us. The rooms were small (especially the bathroom) but functional, and the only drawback I could see was that I was there on business, and there wasn't free wifi in the rooms. The breakfast was adequate, and the location was good. For the money, I don't think you could do better.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

cdtenor,

Thank you for your kind comments. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

The hotel is having WiFi installed into the hotel and this work should be completed at the end of the 1st week in November, so all our guests can enjoy this service in their own room.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

The hotel is generally fine, the bed was fluffy, the room was clean and the staff very friendly, although rather helpless when it came to the deluge of problems in my room.
First the air con system was broken which meant the room apwas cold as I could not chnage the temperature from 19 degrees. A fan heater was promised but never turned up.
Then in the morning I discovered my hairdrier did not work. I am glad that I am paranoid and I always check if the air drier works before washing my hair (... That's right, been there before).
I told reception but nothing happened. Maintenance never showed up, nor an alternative hair drier.
I am annoyed because it is such a simple thing, it must happen all the time. Why can they not keep a few heaters and a few hair driers behind reception and if either brakes they can just give you one?
The lady at the desk was very nice and very apologetic but that does neither keep me warm or dry my hair.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Leeds020, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Leeds City Centre-Armouries, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Sara D

Many thanks for your comments. I am sorry that you experienced issues with your room. We do have a preventative maintenance programme in place to try and eliminate these types of issues. I will ensure that our maintenance manager is made aware of these problems and have them rectified immediately.

We hope this does not deter you from staying with us in the future as this is not a true reflection of the standards we offer.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times over the last few years, each time with mixed experiences. The first time a colleague had made the reservations but for some reason they only had reserved one room and it took some time for reception to sort out the error. This leads onto a perennial problem, the check in procedure is very very slow. It seems that a queue develops whenever more than a couple of people attempt to check in.

I have not tried the restaurant but the bar has limited choice of drinks and as the member of staff attending to the bar usually has to double up at the check in then there are times when it is virtually impossible to get a drink. The staff, however, do a good job in difficult circumstances but one cannot but help feel they are understaffed and under trained which cannot be anything other than an indictment of Holiday Inn Express.

The rooms are reasonably sized and come with tea/coffee making facilities, desk, TV etc.The decor, whilst not shabby suggests that the rooms see heavy use, not unusual in a city centre hotel. Internet access is expensive so why use it? Best Western seem to be able to manage free 'net access for their guests why cannot Holiday Inn Express.

Breakfast is an industrial affair, pretty much an assembly line laid out in a small self service area. This gets crowded very quickly if the breakfast bar is busy (i.e. more than a dozen people). It does the job but lacks any kind of atmosphere. The cooked items are of basic quality , the only kind of eggs on offer are scrambled and tea/coffee is dispensed by a machine. That said there a very acceptable alternatives to the cooked items in pain au chocolat and croissants. The toaster is one of those awful conveyor things that never really make good toast.

The location is handy for the Royal Armouries Museum and for central Leeds and the hotel lies next door to the Royal Armouries New Dock Hall, which is a function suite/event space. Many of the guest staying at the hotel on the occasions I have been there seem to have been either tourist parties or groups 'doing' the nightlife of Leeds. Some of the latter can be a bit noisy when they waltz in during the early hours but nothing worse than any other hotel I have been in.

All in all if you need to be near Leeds city centre and you can get one the bargain room rates then this hotel makes a good choice. There are some varied eateries nearby and the city centre is a short walk away. However at full price it does not really represent value for money and for the equivalent you can get a nicer hotel nearby. So in conclusion not bad but not great and potentially expensive for what it is.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

Bill B,

Thank you for your comments Holiday Inn Expresses do work on a smaller staff than many hotels; however this should not impact the service that you receive as a guest. This is something we are looking in to over the coming weeks in order to alleviate the waiting times at reception or our bar/restaurant.

During the first week of November we will be updating our technology systems; which includes installing WiFi throughout the whole of the hotel and we will also updating the TVs and entertainment packages in the rooms.

We do hope that you will continue to use the hotel as in previous years and in your next visit see the improvements we have made.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

Good hotel close to the centre. New in design and has a fresh feel about it. car park is next door and they give you a voucher for reduced cost parking. Breakfast is standard HIXP fare but adequate for free!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Paul C

Many thanks for your comments about the hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay...and your free breakfast!

We hope to welcome you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

Stayed late September 2013 for 3 nights. The Armouries is an interesting museum in which to waste a few hours but not much else going around this area save a few bars/ restaurants that aren't exactly too popular in Leeds new 'canal-side' scene. After a while it became a bit of a chore to schlep into the town centre. This sort of hotel is the type that has been thrown up with pre-fab rooms and very basic amenities. If you shop around a bit and book much more in advance than I did (day before) then you'd probably get a reasonably similar deal at one of Leeds more interesting hotels (Queens, Metro etc). The unmetered breakfast was one of the upsides, as was the super attitude of all the staff members I dealt with. I'd stay here again, if I couldn't find something a bit close to the centre/ station.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Leeds City Centre-Armouries, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Dear Robin M,

Thank you for your comprehensive review. You have covered all aspects of your stay and I am particularly appreciative of your comments about our friendly staff. It is always hugely motivating when one takes the time and trouble to acknowledge the staff concerned.

I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer for to our guests.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 28 September 2013

I write this review it because this is not the first time I find this hotel has problem with their credit.

1st time, I booked some rooms for my travel group, and when group arrived the hotel, reception checked-in by reservation paper and no problem, all my guest moved their luggage to rooms and then go out for dinner, but when they back to hotel, 2 of rooms' luggage had been moved out by hotel's staff and reception told them the rooms were over booked!!!

2nd time, last night, I booked 1 twin room for my guest, but when my guest check-in, reception told them there was double room showed in their computer, and no twin room available.

That's Incredible, what I understand is, we booked rooms with discount price, and hotel over-booked or some guest booked with their reception price, so they changed/cancelled my reservation to fulfill their good price orders... Be careful of this hotel, especially for travel agency, no credit of this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Xin Q
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Leeds City Centre-Armouries, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2013

Dear Xin Q,

First of all, we like to thank you for having chosen our hotel and we also like to thank you for having taken the time to share your valuable comment with us. Guest comments like yours are paramount for allowing us to focus our attention where guests’ feel it is necessary. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Without your guest feedback we cannot continue to improve our services.

Ferdinand G