“Dont stay here if you're going on a night out”

Holiday Inn Express Leeds City Centre-Armouries
Ranked #49 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Don't use this hotel if you're planning on going out into Leeds to enjoy the nightlife. They're not tolerable in the slightest, quite frankly its like being back at school. We were fined £100 and also told we now wont be getting a refund of £66 for an unused room which we had already been promised would be refunded, so in total the fined £166. They took the fine out our bank accounts without notice and said they weren't negotiable. I wouldn't recommend staying here as a group of males/females, we have previously used the 'bewleys' hotel in Leeds and found this to be a lot better hotel to stay in when enjoying Leeds nightlife.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jonny S
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Leeds City Centre-Armouries, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Dear Jonny S,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the billing policies of the hotel prevented you from fully enjoying your visit. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 3 November 2013

I stayed here with my family during the weekend, and had no issues with the rooms, they was all clean, tidy and had very nice bathrooms. I also enjoyed the breakfast and thought it was overall very good value for money and would have no issues with staying here again. However the only issue was that one room booked was a double bedroom and when we got there it turned out to be a twin to which the reception staff was spoken to and we asked why this was as it clearly stated on our reservation a double and was rather given what seemed to be excuses as to why when it looked like a mistake may have occurred. This is the reason I have given 3 stars overall and the stars below. The customer service overall was good and as said before I would have no issue staying again but would ask that people can be in room types that have been reserved and that if a problem has occurred simply admit to it as sadly it is not something when visiting family you want to be taking time out complaining about.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Leeds City Centre-Armouries, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Dear RJ159,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re very sorry you were not satisfied with the condition of the room. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 30 October 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights at the weekend. We parked in the multi storey next door which is £15 for the weekend. Check in was fine with no issues. We had room 502, it was clean but it had an extra sofa bed in the room. This was absolutly filthy, thankfully we didnt need to use it as i would have refused. It did make me think about how clean the hotel is. The net curtains werent very clean either. The worst thing was the breakfast set up. Chaos!!! The first morning was bad, but the second was a nightmare!! We had to que for 30 minutes as there was no plates or trays, once these arrived there was no bread for toast, no pastries, no orange juice, no cheese, the list goes on!! Ive never seen anything like it. I have stayed here before but doubt that i would return. Location is good next to the armouries and its only £7 to get back from a night out in town.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Leeds020, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Leeds City Centre-Armouries, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Jojohodgson

Thank you for your comments, we are sorry to hear that the sofa in your room was not clean; we will take this up with our housekeeping manager.
The breakfast is being reviewed by our F&B Manager to try and reduce waiting times and ensure that the service is that which you would expect from a Holiday Inn Express and we are sorry that it fell below your expectations.
We do hope that if you are in Leeds that you will stay with us so we can restore your faith in us.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

Very friendly and helpful staff, they moved me from my original room as soon as i'd informed them I'd a problem with the aircon in my room. Convenient location however the lift is really slow so maybe best use the stairs..

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Mackin72

Many thanks for you review. We are happy to hear that the staff were friendly and helpful and that they assisted you with the AC that was faulty. Our Maintenance Manager will ensure that this is fixed.
We hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 23 October 2013

We stayed here for 1 night on a weekend. This HI Express is situated on one of the doc areas just outside of the main city centre (5-10 mins walk) and a few minutes by car/taxi. We chose this place due to the good rate for a lot of rooms as part of a group. Parking was easy in the Multi-storey just next door which was £8 for 24 hours. Check-in is always easy as a IHG Priorty Member (just handed the keys and off I went). Staff seemed very friendly and helpful, kindly pointing out it was Happy Hour in the bar...!
Room was average for HI Express, always clean. We were given a room on the 4th floor which was a disabled access room so it was larger than usual and had what looked like some great facilities for a disabled customer.
We didn't have breakfast the next day (due to the very severe hangover) but checkout was easy (again streamlined for Priority members) and we were off back to the car for a sobering trip home. I did use a small Tesco Metro store just a few minutes walk from the hotel too which was handy.
I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Hotel can get busy on the weekend with large groups so rooms at the ends of corridors recommended if...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Leeds020, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Leeds City Centre-Armouries, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2013

s0lar,

Thanks for the great review! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon...if you want to drop us an email or give us a call and we will assign you a room at the end of a corridor :)

Reviewed 21 October 2013

I stayed here on tour with a group of singers, and the staff couldn't do enough for us. The rooms were small (especially the bathroom) but functional, and the only drawback I could see was that I was there on business, and there wasn't free wifi in the rooms. The breakfast was adequate, and the location was good. For the money, I don't think you could do better.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

cdtenor,

Thank you for your kind comments. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

The hotel is having WiFi installed into the hotel and this work should be completed at the end of the 1st week in November, so all our guests can enjoy this service in their own room.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

The hotel is generally fine, the bed was fluffy, the room was clean and the staff very friendly, although rather helpless when it came to the deluge of problems in my room.
First the air con system was broken which meant the room apwas cold as I could not chnage the temperature from 19 degrees. A fan heater was promised but never turned up.
Then in the morning I discovered my hairdrier did not work. I am glad that I am paranoid and I always check if the air drier works before washing my hair (... That's right, been there before).
I told reception but nothing happened. Maintenance never showed up, nor an alternative hair drier.
I am annoyed because it is such a simple thing, it must happen all the time. Why can they not keep a few heaters and a few hair driers behind reception and if either brakes they can just give you one?
The lady at the desk was very nice and very apologetic but that does neither keep me warm or dry my hair.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Leeds020, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Leeds City Centre-Armouries, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Sara D

Many thanks for your comments. I am sorry that you experienced issues with your room. We do have a preventative maintenance programme in place to try and eliminate these types of issues. I will ensure that our maintenance manager is made aware of these problems and have them rectified immediately.

We hope this does not deter you from staying with us in the future as this is not a true reflection of the standards we offer.