“You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear”
Review of Brookfield Hotel

and 1 more site!
Brookfield Hotel
Ranked #64 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 5 December 2013

The location of this hotel is pretty desolate, a run-down part of town to the south of the city centre - admittedly not too far to walk (10 - 15 mins) - with a dual carriageway, a garage, a used car lot and a shutdown pub.

The guy on reception was wearing a shellsuit and it looked like he was sleeping on a sofa bed behind the desk. It soon became apparent that he did everything. I felt quite sorry for the fellow, he was working very hard but it didn't look very professional and, although helpful, he wasn't a natural at customer relations. I think the owner of the hotel turned up on the following morning, and they appeared to be undertaking some kind of running repairs between them, as well as cooking breakfast! I think the owner needs to employ some extra staff.

I didn't see a single other person during my stay, despite this being a Friday night, and the hotel apparently being "very popular with hen parties". I couldn't really imagine any lone female visitors feeling comfortable here.

Other reviews mention the wonderful value breakfast. They must be easily impressed, because it may have been only three quid but it was only available at a ridiculously early hour and the cooked breakfast was comprised of something like Tesco Value items. Fruit juice was actually orange squash.

The room itself was reasonably spacious, but smelt a bit musty and was pretty old-fashioned in terms of bedding and decor.

I guess you do get what you pay for; it was a cheap stay in all fairness. And I do like to try and support independent hotels rather than chains. It's probably okay for a group of young guys trying to save a few quid. But in all honesty, for most people I think you'd do better to spend 10 - 15 pounds more and stay in the centre proper. You'd save a tenner in cab fares anyway.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Ian B
There are newer reviews for Brookfield Hotel

Reviewed 15 November 2013

We stayed here on the basis of previous reviews, and although it's not bad, it simply is not excellent - that is misleading. The room was spacious, warm and clean. The shower was good with plenty of hot water. The bed was comfortable, and yes it's relatively cheap. But it is on a noisy main road, the decor is not great, and we did not find it particularly welcoming or comfortable. Breakfast was a very basic 4 piece cooked breakfast with toast and tea or coffee. No cereals, fruit, fruit juice, bread, jam etc offered. We also paid £3 per head extra for this which we did not realise, so by the time you add this to the basic hotel cost of £78, that's £90. Okay, I know you get what you pay for but we would not stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mrrjg
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I was a little dubious on approaching the hotel but after stepping inside I couldn`t have been more surprised. I cannot fault the place. The staff were lovely and helpful and nothing was too much trouble. The rooms were extremely well furnished, spacious, warm and beautifully decorated.
I would not hesitate to stay here again especially as the price was very reasonable and the breakfast was very filling, tasty and freshly prepared.
There was ample free parking and the location was good.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank 439rosemariej
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We stayed here for my Birthday in October and the saturday night too. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, lovely clean room, lovely sized bedroom. We decided to have a breakfast every morning with friendly owners at £3 a head- wow what value! The best benefit was free car parking and it only took us 20 minutes to walk into the town, so we didnt need to move the car.I would recommend this hotel especially if you want a quiet nights sleep and dont want to pay a fortune for a weekend away.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I didn't stay here but I sent an email inquiring about a one night stay for in a months time. When after one day I had received no reply, I rang up and was informed that 'James will reply your email...'. Another day went by so I rang again and asked if they could just tell me over the phone. The person I spoke to then informed me that there was no space for the day I asked about. I've now gone back to book a different hotel and all the prices have gone up at least £20 and i've ended up having to pay more and stay further from the city centre. Not impressed at all. Make sure you ring up if you're going to book with them.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Gordon1011975, Manager at Brookfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2013

In response to the above email we don't have any issues with our booking services. We received no email so therefore cannot comment on the nature of the booking. Almost all bookings are done online through our partners Laterooms and Booking.com. Like with all hotels, in order to secure a booking for any particular day, book online with Laterooms and Booking.com and you will receive a firm confirmation so therefore there is no need to ring the hotel.
We apologize for an inconvenience caused.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

We stayed here for one Saturday night and it was great. Very comfortable rooms, great breakfast and very friendly staff. Basic, but clean. Highly recommend. Close to bus stop and the buses are great in Leeds so it takes roughly 5 mins to get into Central Leeds.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Samantha B
Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here before and wow they have really spruced the place up rooms clean with lovely bedding and room decorations.
Comfortable and cheap with large rooms , spacious bathrooms too we would return if in area :)

• Stayed: August 2013