“different”

Ranked #27 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“different”
Reviewed 5 September 2011

first impressions from the outside i was unsure about this hotel but was comfortable and welcomed by friendly staff. There is a pay and display car park opposite but a few free places outside the front of the hotel if youre lucky enough to get one. Staff were friendly and the rooms were really clean. I chose this hotel over others because it was well priced and self catering and i didnt want the expense of eating out every night. Stayed for two nights and slept well each night even though there is a pub next door we didnt hear it. Room was ensuite and well equipt with double bed, TV, sofa, wardrobe, washing machine/tumble dryer, fridge, dishwasher and microwave. Breakfast was included but is a 'grab and go' with pastries/juice/fruit etc avalable in reception. Overall i was pleased with the hotel for what i paid but i would say it is 'functional' hotel and the room is best used as a 'base' rather than a place to hang out.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Polish first
Doncaster
Reviewed 2 September 2011

Leeds City West Roomzzz is based on the outskirts of the city centre. If arriving by rail it is walkable from the station (if you know Leeds), by heading up towards the Headrow, then head West as it merges into Westgate, then over the A58(M) where it merges into Park Lane and then Burley Street. After Park Lane it's not that well lit and does appear a tad grim, so wouldn't necessarily advise when dark. A taxi costs between £3 - £8 dependent on whether you order via a local firm or flag one down; we used Amber when heading out in the evening who got one to us quickly and were at the cheaper end of the scale.

We had ordered a smart studio which cost us the bargain amount of £40. This does include the reduction for Roomzzz Royalty, but seeing as that is free to sign up to you might as well. Check out should have been 11:00, but we paid a reasonable £10 to extend to 13:00 as we were at Dusk 'Til Doorn, so weren't going to be in until the early hours.

Once we got there we checked in and headed up to the studio. You should note that there is only the one lift, so you can expect to be waiting or to get exercising, but we got lucky and went straight up. I was pleasantly surprised when we got in as despite smart studio meaning smallest studio, it was actually pretty spacious. As you enter there is a cupboard on your left containing a boiler and then the door to the bathroom which was small but functional (the shower had good temperature and power which is usually the key point), there is then the well equipped kitchen with dishwasher, washing machine, oven, microwave, fridge, kettle and toaster. On your right is the bed which was admittedly about as small a double as you can get, but I slept well enough, then a TV, wardrobe and storage space. Behind that was a sofa and the view over (some of) Leeds. Not bad at all. There's also complimentary wi-fi which puts a lot of chains to shame.

Not sure if it affects all rooms, but a few points to note just in case. The extractor fan in the bathroom was loud and isn’t automatic, the switch to turn off is in the boiler cupboard; the dishwasher was on when we arrived and then turned itself on later as well, so it's best to keep that ajar. If you're a light sleeper I suspect the lower floors may get a lot more road noise than we did.

Breakfast is provided in the basis of grab bags which I think contained bagels, Danish and fruit between 06:30-10:30(?). Didn't bother going down for them as a) I was sleeping and b) had bought bacon. There is a shop on sight for your essentials as well.

If you're not heading into Leeds and fancy some food there are pizza and curry takeaways down the road heading towards Leeds. The pizza one is called La Fonte and provides decent enough fare; you might note there is a pizza place right next to Roomzzz which looks nice but they aren't getting named as they had ran out of dough early evening and neglected to answer the phone which is spectacularly poor.

When we got in in the morning we were asked to show our door card, so security is taken seriously (or, at least, was when we were there). After sleeping and cooking up brunch we took our time before checking out which was just a matter of handing the card over. Definitely a good option when staying over in Leeds.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Hamilton, Bermuda
Reviewed 2 September 2011

Suzanne was at the desk when we arrived and booked us in quickly. She offered to find up a map as we were doing a one-day visit. She was very pleasant and explained the free internet and offered us any help we needed. Excellent job Suzanne!

The location is steps from the shopping area, bars and the train station. They offer validated parking with NCP for 8.50 per day.

The room we had was exceptional. It is hard to find fault but the view of the back alley was the only small negative. The room was really a suite with a kitchen (microwave, coffee maker, stove, dishwasher and clothes washer). There were dishes, cutlery and pots.

The highlight was the Apple computer that was coupled to the flat screen television. Nice touch - and there was also wireless internet. I had my notebook so my wife was able to surf using the Apple. The towels were nice and fresh and the bath had a shower that delivered plenty of hot water. The bath like the rest of the suite was nicely decorated. The bed has the right firmness and the air conditioner was excellent. (You don't always find AC in UK hotels).

All in all we loved this hotel. Breakfast consists of fruit and pastries that you can take back to your room. Bags are even provided. While the room has a coffee machine and the fixings, we used the automatic one in the lobby.

If you are even in Leeds for a night or a month, you probably cannot beat this property.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Doncaster, England
Reviewed 30 August 2011

My husband and I stayed at Leeds City West for one night as we were going to an all-night event on August Bank Holiday Sunday and needed somewhere that offered a late check out that was reasonably priced. Late check out (till 1pm) cost an extra £10 and was well worth it.
The location is not great-I must specify that to start wth butthat really s the only real complaint I had here. You have to weigh up what you're getting to compensate and its a fair swap for the home comforts such as a dishwasher (they even provide a tablet for it), washing machine (didn't use it-where would you hang your wet clothes? Out of the window?) Iron and board plus a full kitchenette (handy for cooking a fry-up after a long night). Even the little studio we had was bigger than any hotel room we've stayed in-and we've stayed in some! Luckily we'd brought basics such as break, milk, margarine, bacon, eggs and drinks with us otherwise we'd have been a little stuck. The pizzeria we had a Groupon voucher for just a few doors up had run out of dough (!!!!?) and could'nt offer us an alternative so we plumped for the other pizzeria down the road which made pizzas so greasy they would've given us heart failure had we not been so healthy eating in the first place. Do be prepared to self cater and bring the basics with you. The larder in reception isn't great-we saw that they had a single 1 pint carton of Semi Skimmed milk left and a ready meal plus the odd bottle of wine so it isn't well stocked really but this may have been due to it being a bank holiday.
I did email the apartments a few days beforehand and asked for a high floor, facing away from the road. We were given a mid floor (6th) facing the road so neither of my requests were granted even though my email was acknowledged but it wasn't too bad. The road outside (Burley road) is not overly busy unlike the road adjacent (I think thats Kirkstall road) but you can hear the odd emergency services sirens and if its windy you'll hear that too.
The corridors in the apartments are drab and dirty looking and I felt quite violated and dreadful as we went to find our room but what a surprise to open the door and find a clean, bright studio with everything we needed right there. Okay-it was a bit grubby in places (cream leather sofa had muck inground and the wooden flooring was a bit dirty, my feet were an absolute mess!) plus I found a long dark hair in the bed the morning after (I have mid length bright red hair) but overall we were impressed.
The lifts take forever so use the stairs if you can. Cleaning staff use the single lift to cart their trolleys around all day so you'll probably only find them working to a satisfactory standard if you use them at night.
We missed the grab n' go breakfast as we'd brught our own but I would've quite enjoyed a pastry to go with my cuppa.

Finally-a bit more about the only downside to the apartments: Location. If you don't mind a good walk you're looking at around 25 minutes from the station. Look up the route beforehand to make sure you're not wandering around Leeds and covering more ground than is neccesary. If you get a bus (and there are plenty) you need to get off at the University/College or the stop just after on Burley Road and from there its around 5 minutes walk. A taxi from Milennium Square cost us £5 at 4.30am but only £3 going into Leeds at 10pm. I would'nt walk around that area at night personally, its not very well lit, the road isn't busy enough and it appears to be a bit of a rough area. No major council estates or anything but there's a run down looking block of flats and some derelict industrial units in the vicinity. Not bad at all through the day though and we didn't feel threattened.

Overall-a great little apartment complex, would possibly say here again if we're heading to this part of the city and there are no cheaper options close by.

Room Tip: Bring some basic groceries as there's no shops in the area!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2011

Roomzzz Aparthotel City West in Leeds does what it says on the tin - and more. I booked in for one night at quite short notice, and was pleased on my arrival that though I had been allocated a room on the front of the building, when I asked to be put at the quieter back , there was no hesitation, and I was given a pleasant studio on the second floor. The room is spacious, with a very comfortable bed and a kitchen equipped with everything one might need for a long stay, let alone one night, including a washing and a dish washing machine. The shower room is small, and the toiletries minimal, but adequate and clean. The floor is covered in wood effect flooring, which at first I found strange, but is actually a far better way to keep a busy hotel clean. There is an iron and ironing board in the room, a large television and free WiFi. The breakfast which you collect from the foyer is OK - quite tasty pains au chocolat and fresh fruit, with tea and coffee available. All in all, a very pleasant stay, and excellent value for money.

The only criticism I have, and why the hotel only receives four stars, is that it is MUCH farther away from the centre of Leeds than the information would lead one to believe (a twenty minute walk was indicated, but that would have been wishful thinking). Added to that is the fact that there is nothing around the hotel either. There are a couple of pizza type restaurants, and one Persian restaurant which actually looked both interesting and reasonable, but I wanted to "eat in". I had been led to suppose that I would find food available in local shops, but the only food shop was really an off licence with hardly anything in it (not even butter) and no fresh fruit or vegetables. The hotel does provide prepared dishes that you can heat up yourself, but it isn't very comprehensive.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2011

I started my stay in July but am still staying at Roomzzz City West. I would be happy to recommend Roomzzz to anyone. I have found them very accomodating and the staff extremely polite and friendly. It makes a refreshing change to some of the impersonal hotels that I have stayed at where I have just felt like a number. It is far more a home from home and has all the domestic appliances that most people would have at home.
I can't praise it Roomzzz enough.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank John G
Wiltshire
Reviewed 6 August 2011

It is what it says on the tin. It's a hotel, that's also an apartment. The reception is 24 hour and has a "Pantry" shop with a wide array of goodies that help you feel at home, from marmalade and jam portions, to luxury chocolates and short bread, the value of these items is outstanding.

Our room was on the 8th floor and accessible by both lift and stairs. On opening the door, it was completely fantastic. I would quite happily have lived here, as a singleton or student. Compact yet stylish kitchen, featuring a dishwasher, hob, washing machine, fridge, freezer drawer, kettle, very cool cuttlery, as well as crockery, utensils, pots and pans etc. The funkiest feature was quite possibly the toaster, which flashed disco lights as it toasted the bread!

The living room area had a large leather sofa, arm chair, desk, desk chair and large flat screen TV which can be rotated to face either the lounge or the bedroom.

The bedroom area was compact but comfortable. The double bed wasn't a huge bed, but I had a complete night's sleep and didn't stir once. It was incredibly peaceful.

The bathroom was great. Possibly one of the most powerful power showers I've ever used. The lighting is fab for applying make up!

The convenience of everything was what made it for me. On arrival it felt like arriving home. You could kick off your shoes, get a glass from the cupboard and open a bottle of wine. In the morning, you could pop bread in the toaster and brew the kettle whilst getting dressed. If we'd been there for longer, I'd've happily cooked a full evening meal.

On our way out in the morning we helped ourselves to the complimentary "Grab and Go" breakfast, comprising of pastries, fruit and juices that you choose and put in a bag. It was great for snacking on throughout the day.

We managed to park *literally* outside the front door, free overnight. There was ample on street parking as well as an adjacent car park.

This isn't in the most salubrious of areas. We're not sure if it's mainly industrial or studenty, but it was incredibly quiet although somewhat desolate. I wouldn't want to venture out alone by night, but location wise, it's great as it's only two minutes from the city centre. It also has a bar/restaurant on one side and a pizzeria on the other.

In conclusion, I'd HIGHLY recommend both this site and the concept as a whole. I would have happily stayed there for days, weeks, maybe more. I can't wait for my next Roomzzz experience!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a Grande
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business