“Atlas 'a great send off'”
Review of The Atlas Pub

The Atlas Pub
Ranked #920 of 1,961 Restaurants in Leeds
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

So Leeds was my final stop back in the uk, meeting up with some uni mates before I headed for a 36 hour flight.. This destination was only going to be a fly in visit for an ale but the welcoming venue and boss staff kept us there for most of the evening. The ales went down easy, with a few to choose from the boys and I tried to work away across the taps. The burger really hit the spot. If you get chance pop in for a drink and say hi to the staff from me!

Dan
Sydney, Australia

2  Thank Dan J

Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

First visit today at the Atlas, just round the corner from my work!

My sandwich was amazing, and all the others on other tables looked equally as good!! The beetroot coleslaw was also lovely.

My boyfriend had the fish and chips - for £11 I would t recommend them. Not a very big fish, more peas than anything else!! He said they were nice though, but not the best fish and chips he's had at a pub especially for the value.

Good selection of drinks, will definitely return for a sandwich and would recommend! Great lunch :)

2  Thank KatK1
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We went for a drink and some lunch one afternoon. Sat upstairs and the place is really nicely decorated. the food was delicious and not too pricey. the staff were friendly and welcoming, however service seemed slower to those sitting upstairs to those nearest the bar downstairs. Ended up going downstairs and asking for the bill.

1  Thank mrbradwee
Reviewed 29 June 2014

A group of us ate here Saturday night on the recommendation of one of the diners. She left unimpressed and apologetic for her suggestion. There were seven of us in total. We should have taken note of how quiet the place was for a Saturday night in town. I have to say firstly that the starters we had were all very good. Had the mains lived up to them then this review would have been very different. I had Ham Hock Terrine which was full of ham and flavour and light on the aspic jelly that usually binds this. One of the best I've had. It was served with a two tone bread and a large pat of flavoured butter. If I had any criticism of this it would be that a little more bread would be handy. It would also have been nice to have a little pickle or a sauce like the brown sauce that accompanied by partners Black pudding Scotch egg which he thoroughly enjoyed. One of the party had muscles which she gave the thumbs up. They came as a large bowl full with a big hunk of the two tone bread to dip in the sauce. Always a good move. Then a number of the table had the open butter squash lasagne. Which had it had a little more seasoning would have gone from ok to good.

Poor seasoning was a theme throughout the main courses too. On the plus side, the Sea Bass, was declared lovely. A Sirloin steak, although it didn't rock any boats did what it said on the tin. The belly pork in hoi sin sauce was pronounced as delicious and i have to say looked good. One of my favourite meats I really wished I had opted for this. But I opted for the confit of lamb. It was supposed to be served with potatoe purée and wilted vegetables with a mustard grain sauce. No veg and no mustard sauce. I had noted this dish left on the pass under the lights for quite a while and recall hoping it wasn't mine. This is perhaps why what should have been a succulent and flavoursome meat dish came as an unappetising grey mound served on a claggy purée with a jus of some description that added little in the way of flavour. The meat tasted as dry as it looked and I am sure the jus was the same that accompanied the steak and the Beef Wellington. Which was not good. I tasted this and found the meat dry and tough with a strange and unpleasant flavour. Our other two guests ordered burgers which I have to say did look good. I tasted one and it was full of flavour but a bit heavy on the thyme for me. One of our guests likes all his meat well done and definitely cooked through with no pink. He asked for his burger to be well done. It arrived and was very pink. In his case this meant he couldn't eat it. They did offer to do him another one (which they warned could take some time) he refused the offer and made do with the chips and salad garnish that accompanied it. The cost of the burger was removed and an ice cream given although he didn't want this and he had refused dessert. In terms of dessert those of us that indulged had the Chocotate Box. Which was good but then it really did need to be at £7.00.

Service when the staff were available was pleasant. But the waiting staff seemed to be serving food and doubling up as bar staff. Maybe that is why we had to ask for cutlery for our main meals. We waited also waited an age for our bill. Then in the end went to the bar to pay it. Ah yes the bill With an initial drink a bottle of rather nice Malbec at £18.00. A couple of beers and four cokes the bill came to over £260. Which is quite a lot for pub grub that doesn't quite deliver. If this establishment doesn't want to go the way of its predecessor it needs to deliver consistently good food. Too many of its competitors do deliver for the Altas to take its eye off the ball. With a few tweaks and some attention to detail it could get there, we'll see. i won't be returning or recommending it until I hear it has picked up. Which is sad as it is the sort of place we would have returned to with friends especially before a night out or for lunch.

1  Thank intrepidtravellerx2
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We went for a leaving lunch a few weeks ago and I was sorely disappointed. My sandwich was distinctly average they forgot our orders of chips and they only appeared when we had all finished. Poor service and food, only good for after works drinks.

2  Thank Ceri25