“Best curry I have ever had..”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Corner Cafe

The Corner Cafe
Ranked #15 of 1,805 Restaurants in Leeds
Price range: US$14 - US$32
Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Cheap Eats, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: We are a small, independent, family run restaurant. Our food is home style cooking inspired by family dishes from Old Delhi. Our menu has a wide range of vegetarian dishes available. Following the addition of a new mezzanine floor we are now fully licensed. We stock many different ales from local breweries.
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Best curry I have ever had..”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The Corner Cafe was recommended to us by a few people but it has taken us a while to get around to a visit... All I can say is why did we wait?! Fantastic food, lots of choice and different from the ordinary Indian restaurant menu. We went for the Early Bird offer, which is a steal at 2 courses for £10.50! The staff were lovely and friendly and extremely attentive. Excellent experience all round, we will definitely be recommending to others and will be visiting again!

• Visited May 2014
Kate_Ghauri, Owner at The Corner Cafe, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts on this site. Glad you liked the Early Bird - it's great for a midweek get together or as a treat on a Sunday. Thanks again!

Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Fresh, delicious Indian food - good veggie options”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I have to say, this place was a really lovely surprise. Certainly an above-average curry house - the sort where you'd never guess you'd get something so nice! They have quite a big menu, one page front and back but filled with interesting and unusual choices. Loads of vegetarian options as well. We started with poppadoms and a mixed pickle (fun to have something besides the usual chutney/yogurt duo) and they were lovely. I ordered the Kidney Bean, Kablichana (chickpeas), and Mixed Vegetables. We also got a pulao rice and at our friends' urging, a spinach paratha instead of our usual garlic naan. So glad we did!

The paratha was basically a stuffed flatbread (an Indian quesadilla, if you will!) filled with lovely fresh spinach. It tasted quite healthy and light, which you don't always get at Indian restaurants. Not greasy at all, and so delicious. I had intended to try to make my boyfriend share his lamb dish with me and go 50-50, but once I tasted my vegetarian main course I felt unwilling to share (which suited him well as he loved his meal). So much better than I expected! Wonderful complex flavors, loads of healthy veggies in big chunks and lots of beans, in a wonderful sauce. I finished mine, quite a good sized portion, but I really didn't want to waste a bite.

Clearly this is one of our friends' favorite restaurants for good reason. They have a lovely, casual atmosphere with friendly service. Some wine and beer to choose from as well, including some unusual finds. You never know what you'll get when you go out for a curry, but I think you could order anything on the menu here and be more than satisfied!

Visited May 2014
Kate_Ghauri, Owner at The Corner Cafe, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Hi Meredith. What a lovely review - thanks! I love the spinach paratha too, so glad you liked it.
Leeds, United Kingdom
“One of the best curries - no pomp, just great food”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

This understated restaurant has been around for years but I suspect it is overlooked by many people who traditionally stick to the better known big 'chains' such as Akbars, Mumtaz, Nawaab, etc. I must confess I was a bit sceptical when I visited, but as soon as the feed arrived and I could see, smell and taste the quality, I realised why so many people rave about this little restuarant. The next time we go for a curry, I will be going to the Corner Cafe.

• Visited May 2014
Kate_Ghauri, Owner at The Corner Cafe, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
That's it you got us! No pomp, just good food shared in great company. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on this site.
“Delicious food”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I work in a restaurant myself and when our group feels like a curry, we call Corner Cafe. We use them as our go-to Indian takeaway. This has happened on more than one occasion and we're never disappointed. My usual is the Mutton Bhuna... very tender, incredibly tasty and with just the right amount of HEAT. The naan breads tasted fresh and were lovely and tear-able. The Tarka Daal tasted good but slightly different to what I've had eslewhere. I guess personal preference favours smoother, less chunky daal. However even my Indian friend said the food is very, very good.
Can't complain about the service either. While i was waiting in the foyer, i was greeted by at least 2 staff members who made sure i had been seen to. Plus while i was waiting I saw a huge selection of quality beers and ales in the fridge.
No doubt we'll be ordering again.

• Visited April 2014
Kate_Ghauri, Owner at The Corner Cafe, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thanks for a great review! Karim uses mutton rather than lamb as it has bags more flavour, so glad you like that dish. Maybe join us for a eat in meal some time?
Leeds
“Possibly best curry in Leeds”
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Me and my husband love a good curry and we have been meaning to try this place for ages as noticed the excellent reviews on trip advisor.
We booked a table for 8pm but unfortunately on the night there seemed to have been some sort of problem as when we arrived the 7.30pm tables were still waiting to be seated. We are not sure what had happened but around 4 bookings for 8pm didn't sit down until after 8.45pm which was a shame. They were clearly rushed off their feet and the place was packed to the rafters.
To be fair talking to the other tables waiting who appeared to be regulars this did seem an unusual occurrence and the staff were extremely apologetic giving us a free drink whilst we waited.
When we finally sat down I said to my husband the food had better be worth it after the wait and I was not disappointed. We got a mixed starter (which was free to apologise for the delay in our table) which was delicious and we ordered a curry each. We have eaten at a number of Indians in Leeds some of which we feel have gone down hill a bit so I like to think I know my curry's and I have to say the food was excellent.
We will defo return and we are going to give them the benefit of the doubt that the wait for a table was a one off and not the norm.
Would highly recommended for the food

Visited April 2014
Kate_Ghauri, Owner at The Corner Cafe, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you so much for your patience and understanding on the night. I am really glad that you enjoyed your food. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.