“Just brilliant”

Ranked #490 of 1,805 Restaurants in Leeds
Price range: US$4 - US$13
Cuisines: Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Drinks, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Neighbourhood: Quarry Hill
Description: Much has changed since MOJO first opened its doors to the city almost twenty years ago. Where once Leeds’ original dive-bar stood alone, with its notorious cocktails and late night vibes providing the only reason to visit Merrion Street, it has since become increasingly surrounded by like-minded newcomers making the Northern Quarter a thriving corner of town. As Leeds expanded, so too did MOJO, with openings in Manchester and Liverpool spreading their unbeatable penchant for hosting great times across the North. MOJO now intend to develop further by heading South and taking this Leeds success story to London. Thankfully for the home crowd, the familiarity of what made MOJO’s much-loved reputation remains. There seems little reason to alter their winning formula of damn fine booze, effortlessly cool tunes, laid-back chatter and inclusive parties, all of which are as evident as ever inside their original two floor vital space. The one addition MOJO has made is a lip-smacking food menu that only accentuates the bar’s rugged beauty. In keeping with the relaxed quality feel of the place, this is grub that fills the belly and warms the heart. Burgers, wings and sides are all hand-made in-house using top produce from selected butchers, bakers and flavour-makers, and the result is an unpretentious joy that both comforts and elevates. Capturing the bar’s rock & roll traditions, the menu plays with classic US diner favourites and brings them to modern England. Beef, pork, chicken and bean delights are lifted by inventive additions of sauces, spices, smokes, slaws and spreads, of which many combinations read like an edible edition of the cocktail lists that made MOJO famous. The fun continues for the greedy and the brave, who can take on giant portions and fiery heat by ordering The Behemoth burger or the Mad Dog Challenge wings respectively. The latter recently proved its credentials in a feature on a Leeds TV parody of Man vs Food; you can guess the winner. MOJO’s increased focus on food coincided with the changed use of Merrion Street from a car-chasing alley into an attractive patio cafe area, allowing sociable outdoor seating and eating. Sunny days have been soaked up since midday thanks to all-day opening, whilst burgers and booze in the cosy interior may help fight off the coming winter chill. Taking their street food literally, MOJO have taken their wings and flown to pop-ups at Belgrave Feast and Leeds Food & Drink Festival, amongst others. Occasional initial public scepticism of a bar ingrained in drink now serving food has been won over by the obvious whole-heartedness that has gone into this venture and the joyful flavour-punching produce. And for those not wanting to take to the road or the venue, there is a deliveroo service perfect for an evening treat or a daytime cure. As much as Leeds and MOJO move on, they each equally retain their roots. Whilst the Northern Quarter has become a thriving destination, many go there and remember what MOJO do better than anybody else; serve up that friendly vibe of a lively old-time joint where everybody knows your name. As clientele changes, generations grow with this place, and fittingly MOJO have this year given regulars special plaques on their chairs to commemorate what keeps this city celebration going strong two decades on; the people. And the people’s loyalty is repaid handsomely with tasty food added to the legendary drinks, faultless music and infamous parties. MOJO version 2015 sure have got their mojo working.
Barton upon Humber, England, United Kingdom
“Just brilliant”
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Best bar, best music, best bar staff, best mocktails for me, and best whiskey for my partner!
Went on a weeknight, only us 2 and 2 other people in, got chatting to the barman (he looked bored, bless him), and just had a really good night! Nothing like a bit of good old rock n roll.
Also love the Warhol inspired Elvis wallpaper ;)

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Hayley Louise L

Reading, United Kingdom
“Cocktail classes from Adam”
Reviewed 9 July 2013

On saturday night we were booked into a cocktail making class for a friend's hen party.

Adam was our barman/ teacher for the evening, and we were happy to be tucked away upstairs in the Rhum Bar, which was beautifully air conditioned- much appreciated on a *very* hot day.

Adam was very flexible and friendly, coping with the 12 of us in our misbehaving state very well. The cocktail lessons were informative and Adam was very knowledgeable, making the whole thing a great experience. The cocktails were yummy, and we all definitely learnt something. I wasn't drinking (30wks pregnant!) so they did a half-price session for me, making virgin cocktails alongside the others so I really got to join in which was great for me. Adam embraced the hen-do and helped us with some of our plans, including subjecting the bride to be to our Mr& Mrs quiz we had prepared.

It was excellent value, really interesting and well run! Thanks to Mojos & Adam for a brilliant evening!

• Visited July 2013
Bigredmojo, Owner at Mojo, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Hi Clare

Sorry for the late catch up on your Tripadvisor posting but just wanted to say thanks for the kinds words and glad you all had a good time.

I'm guessing you've got your hands full now will your new arrival but we hope we see you and your friends again in the future.

Take care and have a great Christmas.

Martin
“My favourite bar...ever!”
Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

I don't think I have ever been to a better bar in the whole of the UK... and I am quite picky about my drinks and music! The place is not exactly hidden away but it just has that feel where only certain people know about it...without coming across as pretentious.

The service is excellent and the bar staff really know what they are doing. Everyone is welcoming and overall Mojo just gives off a very cool vibe. Love the booths. As the place gets busier throughout the night the atmosphere is so great and people will have a chat, laugh and a drink with each other without feeling like it is some kind of meat market. Everyone is just there to have a good time. Never any trouble when I have been there!

The music is great and I love the TV which says what is playing - not only does it solve the 'oh I haven't heard this in ages who is it by again?!' but you can also pick up stuff you might not have heard before.

Now, the drinks...outstanding! Never had cocktails so good. Perfectly made and with premium brands. Yes its a little pricey but you get what you pay for! However, their app has a 241 on drinks before 10pm (please keep this going!) which we definitely took advantage of! This also meant we were able to choose some different cocktails rather than just sticking to our faves. Cocktail list is very extensive but the bar staff know exactly what goes in what and I didn't see anyone needing to look at a crib sheet like in some other places!

We always have such a good night in Mojo and I always look forward to going back!

• Visited July 2013
“Great Night Out”
Reviewed 14 April 2013

We have just had a weekend in Leeds and spent Saturday night in here after a meal and a few drinks. Has a great atmosphere, the staff are friendly, plenty of drinks to choose and the music is excellent. Fun place to be. We went in here last year on a weekend away and I am sure we will be in again next year.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank SandyCBF
London, United Kingdom
“Staple on a night out”
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I always have a good time at Mojo's and the staff are great and really know their stuff. The music is cool - they even have their own radio station which you can listen along with online.

They have a great list of cocktails and I'm partial to one of these on an evening. It does get very busy on the weekend, but it attracts a decent crowd of people generally and is great for a dance! My friends and I now prefer this end of town to Call Lane, which is just so busy now and frustrating for my males friends as groups of four normal lads will often be refused entry especially at Jakes. No problems like this at Mojo's or any of the bars on Merrion Street.

• Visited January 2013