“Hidden gem”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Leeds City Centre
Description: It's all about a different atmosphere. It's about good food. It's about good service and attention to detail.So no wonder the long-established Sous Le Nez is one of the most acclaimed restaurant and winebars in Leeds. In fact, our award winning basement bar and bistro - in a handy, city centre location - has been providing mouthwatering food to Leeds diners for over 15 years. Our wine list is as unusual as it is extensive, and our lunchtime and evening menus are creative and very popular. And our portions are huge too!
“Hidden gem”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

As 5 recent graduates of French degrees, my friends and I thought it would be appropriate to go for a celebratory meal at Sous Le Nez. We took advantage of the 3 courses and half bottle of wine for £25.95 offer, and are so glad we did. I had the deep-fried Brie to start, chicken as a main, and a chocolate and marmalade mousse for dessert, all of which were delicious and well presented. The staff were very friendly and attentive, and we loved the fact that a few of them were actually French... It gave the restaurant more of an authentic feel. My vegetarian friend didn't like the one veggie option on offer, so one of the bartenders consulted the chef and made her a separate dish from scratch, which was a lovely touch. Obviously the lack of veggie options is in true French-style, but maybe at least one other should be on offer. The restaurant was very hot and busy, but I suppose this just proves its popularity. Overall a great experience, will definitely be returning.

• Visited May 2014
S H, Public Relations Manager at Sous le Nez en Ville, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Hello and thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We are really pleased to hear you enjoyed our early bird menu, and we will make sure to pass on your feedback to the chefs with regards to adding another vegetarian option to the menu. Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back to Sous le Nez soon.

• Turkish first
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Great value for us early birds”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I dined here with my boyfriend on a Saturday evening, both eating from the early bird menu.
Was very impressed with the menu choices - very often with early bird/set menus there is quite a limited number of dishes - but for all three courses I was spoiled for choice. In addition to this, you receive half a bottle of wine each. I thought it was excellent value at £25.95pp
The food itself was perfect for me, couldn't find fault at all. I had the duo of ice cream for dessert and I have to say it was the best ice cream I have ever tasted! My boyfriend's only quibble was that he ordered the prawns to start and they came in a batter. He would have preferred them without the batter but that's personal choice.
The restaurant was busy with a nice atmosphere and we found the staff to be very friendly, attentive and helpful. Would definitely eat here again.

• Visited May 2014
“Early Doors Menu”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We first went to this restaurant over 15 years ago when it was £12.95 for 3 courses and half a bottle of wine and we loved it. The food was always good, great atmosphere and attentive staff. Over the years we seemed to have forgotten about it until we were looking for a venue for a group of sixteen people to sit down at 5.30pm to celebrate a retirement. They were happy to take the booking with a small deposit despite the fact that they didn't open until 5.30pm. Everyone ate from the early menu, 3 courses and half a bottle of wine £25.95 and it was faultless. The food was great, the service good and the atmosphere perfect.
Now we have rediscovered it, we will be back

• Visited March 2014
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“A bit of a disappointment”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My fiance and I came here for dinner one night. We both really love French food and my fiance had been here a couple of years ago and had fond memories.

It was quite busy when we arrived, and after a bit of confusion at the bar, we were seated. I noticed straight away that waiters/waitresses were not assigned tables, so 2 different people asked if we were ready to order, almost immediately after we sat down (which we were not). It felt really cramped where we were sat, so much so, that we could hear the conversations of fellow diners quite easily.

We ordered the starters and mine was delicious- the pigs cheeks. My main wasn't quite as nice and my fiance's main course was inedible; there were whole peppercorns throughout the dish- I took one try of his and I was put off mine! Finally we managed to get the attention of a staff member and sent it back, she didn't seem too apologetic about it. We swiftly left, and my fiance didn't re-order a main, as by this point, I'd finished mine.

The mistake with the main is forgivable, but there are real problems with this restaurant; too few staff at busy times, disorganised routine of staff, far too many tables in such a small space and you really get the feeling the staff want to rush you out of the restaurant. I left the restaurant feeling quite unsatisfied with the dining experience and doubt I would go here again.

• Visited February 2014
“Good Experience”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Have visited here on several occasions. As ever, the staff were extremely helpful, excellent menu choices - drinks kept flowing.

Good value for money too if you fancy somewhere a little bit special but not OTT prices.

Visited April 2014