“Excellent food and service”
Review of Akbars - CLOSED

Akbars
Price range: US$20 - US$40
Cuisines: Indian, Pakistani
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Leeds City Centre
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I really enjoyed my dinner at Akbars. There was a great choice on the menu and the restaurant has a great atmosphere. My butter chicken was ace! The best curry i have had for years.Good job Akbars!

Reviewed 10 September 2012

I visit here about once a month when I need my fix of curry. I absolutely love this place. The staff are extremely professional at all times and very efficient. The food is just delicious, I have tried quite a few of the dishes and none of them have disappointed...my favourite has to be lamb and spinach, its just beautiful and I cannot believe how reasonably priced it is too. It can get quite noisy on friday and saturday nights as there are a lot of parties which I don't mind, but if you want a quiet meal avoid on those days, other than that its super.

Reviewed 9 September 2012

Didn't book a table, just went along hoping for the best. We weren't disappointed. 5 minutes and a table was sorted for us. Drinks order was taken, ordered a bottle of wine, Took a little longer than normal to arrive but they were very busy so we didn't mind. As always I made the mistake of ordering too much food, always happens when I visit an Indian as I just love the starters so much. After polishing off my chicken and prawn poori I didn't have much room left for my main course. What I ordered was beautiful, Lamb Paneer. Maybe a little spicy for my delicate palate but the flavours were amazing. Unforunatly our babysitter called to say there was a problem so had to cut short a lovely evening. The "small" naan breads were enough for 2 of us to share with plenty left over. We shall be returning

Reviewed 6 September 2012

We've been here a few times now and have yet to have a poor experience.

You can't book but waiting time for a table is limited, we've never had to wait more than 15 minutes irrespective of the size of our party. The waiting area can get a little crowded though and getting drinks at the bar can be a bit of a scrum.

The staff are more than friendly and once you're at the table, they are very attentive. There is a wide-ranging menu and the food is freshly cooked with the kitchen on view to all the diners.

The food is of a high quality and ranks amongst the best Indian restaurants that we have dined in throughout the UK and beyond.

The restaurant itself is modern and well-appointed. It is, however, a firm favourite for large parties which can make for a very noisy atmosphere. Don't come here for a quiet romantic meal! There are two levels, the upper level is adjacent to the entrance and is less cramped.

Downstairs is the main eating area and unless you have a table on the perimeter, space is tight and can be difficult to negotiate a visit to the toilets or your exit. Lighting is not great so reading the menu, dependant on where you are sat, is a difficult experience.

We've been there with family and friends with all commenting on how good an experience it was and particularly the great food.

This visit was with my wife, our youngest daughter, our 20 year old daughter and her boyfriend.

Try the starter with chicken and cheese. To die for!

1  Thank Steve D
Reviewed 5 September 2012

Went here with my wife. Had a baby siitter so went into Leeds we both love a good curry so headed straight to Akbars. It was not a good curry nor a good atmosphere full of hen parties and stag do's. We ordered two different dishes as my wife likes mild curries and i prefer them a bit hotter. When they arrived both looked ok but tasted exactly the same. Both far to hot. Told the waiter he didn't seem to care, so we ate what we could and left quickly. Wont go again.