“Great food, good prices, very busy, service just ok”
Review of Akbars - CLOSED

Akbars
Price range: US$20 - US$41
Cuisines: Indian, Pakistani
Good for: Groups, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Leeds City Centre
Reviewed 25 July 2014

This is the second time I had eaten at the Akbars Grand whilst away from home, and I was returning as I had a fantastic meal the first time I visited (some of the photos on the reviews are mine from the previous visit).

The naan breads here are the biggest I have ever seen before - like elephants ears! I remembered how big they were so decided to forego having any poppadums and pickles and just stuck to a main course, rice and bread...I was still stuffed at the end of the meal.

The restaurant was busy (which in business terms indicates they must be doing something right) but I was shown to a table for one straight away. The service was a little abrupt to be honest, the drink order was taken after a few minutes wait but they wouldn't take my food order (even though I knew what I wanted to order) and I had to wait for 10 minutes before ordering my meal. When the food arrived it was almost 'dumped' on the table without comment or any greetings or small talk...I guess they were just busy.

The food itself (murgh and chilli masala, mushroom rice and garlic naan) was top notch, nice and spicy, tasty and good value (bill including a pint of draught lager was £19). Shame the service was a little impolite otherwise I would have scored it the full 5 marks. I will certainly be back...with a hearty appetite!

There are newer reviews for Akbars

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Had been here once before with a group of us so when I was in Leeds for an evening on my own, I thought that I would pay a return trip. Once again the staff were friendly, the Liver Tikka was to die for and the Chicken Tikka and Gosht Balti was excellent. Add the "elephant's ear" sized garlic naan and washed down with a couple of bottles of Cobra and I was a satisfied man - and all for just over £20

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Jusr arrived home after a gorgeous curry at Akbars!

I had the gosht ohemili (i think it's called that?) it was sweet and sour with pomegranit juice in, there was three of us and we all had a tayse if each others and all agreed mine was the best! Fiod gorgeous, atmosphere for a Tuesday evening buzzy!

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Akbars is a big restaurant with a lot of covers - not a disadvantage though mid week as it was very quiet when we went. The serving staff are very pleasant and took a detailed order for a small group efficiently - repeating the order to ensure it was correct. We were there for a birthday celebration but we had not let them kow in advance. It is possible to arrange for a candle and sparkler to be served in a pudding which we did very discretely.

The flavours were delicate and all the dishes were delicious. They even serve my favourite - a stuffed paratha. The naans are the most enormous I have ever seen and have their own 'naan hanger' - worth a visit just to experience this feature!

Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

U will never be disappointed by akbars the food is great the naan breads are like bin lids and im not joking there huge the restaurant is so plush very nice decor, we've been on a number of occasions and never disappointed so if u in leeds give it a try u won't be disappointed!!