“Blankety Blancs - you might not need your cheque book and pen”
Review of Blancs Bistro

Blancs Bistro
Ranked #871 of 1,948 Restaurants in Leeds
Price range: US$41 - US$52
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Holbeck
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We ate here as a party of 4 on Sat 30th November. My husband and I have never dined at a "known" chefs restaurant chain such as Jamie Olivers etc. Being tight Brummies we have always been put off by prices and the feeling of being disappointed. Our friends from Yorkshire have eaten here before and wanted to take us there. I ate from the set November menu, 3 courses for £13.95 and every course was gorgeous - there is even an offer on a glass of wine if you take this up. My husband thoroughly enjoyed his chicken and mash. 2 starters, 4 mains, I dessert, 4 glasses of wine and 4 beers/ciders came to £95. If more of your party like the set menu then even better. Considering the beautiful setting and excellent service this was good value - also we were early for our table but this was no probem and we were still seated. I shall be trying one of Raymondo's restaurants nearer to the Midlands in the future. Bon apetit.

Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

Visited on a weekday evening as a party of 3. This is a really nice dining room as others have suggested.

I think there's a little bit of expectation management to be done though - this is a bistro and that needs to be remembered. If you are looking for something doing cordon bleu with a Michelin star this is not what you will get and nor does it pretend otherwise. What you will get is what a bistro offers which is simple French home-style cooking and this is something which this place does very well.

I chose Escargot to start which was nice and tasty with lots of garlic. I then went for the Demi poulet which was honestly a really really nice piece of chicken.

The service was excellent despite for some reason the dining room just getting unexpectedly busier and busier but the manageress did a fantastic job as did the French waitress (blonde hair).

Would go again, maybe on the weekend during the day.

Reviewed 27 March 2013

This restaurant is stunning - the building was beautifully renovated around original features and has been kept to a very high standard over the years. It is well laid out, clean, tasteful. In fact it is perfect. The staff are very efficient and attentive.

Pity about the food.

We have gone several times over the years and, apart from when it first opened, the food has disappointed more and more. But we keep giving it a try - hope over experience!

This week we went again, and I think that this will be the last time. We could do better at home.

We had salmon and (the only vegetarian main course option) French onion tart. The food was presented on trencher style "plates". There was a piece of cooked salmon - that was about all you could say about it. A small dish of actually very nice and hot french fries (not chips), and a very small dish of sauce. The onion tart wasn't even an individual tart, it was a slice off a large tart. The very small accompanying dish of what was supposed to be Gruyere salad was actually a few bits of fancy greens with no taste of anything much. That lot cost over £25 for the pair.

The sweets of French apple pie and Rhubarb sabayon. Soggy, tasteless pie and a small tasteless sabayon - if I had been blindfolded I would not have recognised that there was rhubarb in it.

The bottle of Sauvignon Blanc wine was fairly well priced and was delicious.

Expectations are high with a restaurant bearing Raymond Blanc's name, and this one falls well short in the food stakes. And isn't food what a restaurant is supposed to be about?

Reviewed 30 December 2012

The end of term report would say "must try harder". I get the distinct impression that they are very much trading on the Raymond Blanc name without delivering on the Blanc quality.
The food is OK but there are better french restaurants in Leeds and the prices are at the top end of the Leeds price scale.
Nevertheless my companions and me did enjoy our lunchtime experience. Service was good and friendly and the place has a good atmosphere.
However, yet again a reasonable restaurant lets itself down by charging silly prices for vin ordinaire!!! - when will they learn?

Reviewed 9 December 2012

I visited here on Saturday night with friends it's a while since I've been but I founded it to be good value for money. The staff were pleasant the food not overly adventurous but very tasty and well cooked. My parfait starter was plentiful and flavoursome. My guests had muscles no complaints. I've noticed there's quite a few mixed reviews some I feel are a little unfair. This place is just a bistro so don't expect Michelin star. However four 4 of us and two bottles of wine the bill came to £155 which we felt to be excellent value . When booking they had requested the table back for 9 o'clock which we were happy to oblige. However we were still sat there at 10, staff were polite and attentive without being intrusive. Despite main courses being rather filling my husband and I shared the baked Alaska , very tasty worth trying. Would go again definitely if we just wanted a chilled night .