“Birthday dinner”

Price range: US$41 - US$52
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Holbeck
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

First visit to this very charming bistro, very busy evening service as a run up to Christmas, never the less very attentive staff, wonderful food & wine at a very reasonable price.
Can't wait to go back

Reviewed 13 December 2013

Went here to for lunch to celebrate my wife's birthday and it didn't disappoint. Lovely leek salad starter + a pork belly main were absolutely brilliant + an excellent wine (cote du rhone). My wife had the sea bass which was perfectly cooked. The pannacotta dessert was beautifully presented and delicious. All for £41 for 2 people off the set menu (+ dessert) although the cote du rhone is not off the set menu so is £6.50 a large glass.

Just watch out for the expensive parking around there but that's Leeds.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

We ate here as a party of 4 on Sat 30th November. My husband and I have never dined at a "known" chefs restaurant chain such as Jamie Olivers etc. Being tight Brummies we have always been put off by prices and the feeling of being disappointed. Our friends from Yorkshire have eaten here before and wanted to take us there. I ate from the set November menu, 3 courses for £13.95 and every course was gorgeous - there is even an offer on a glass of wine if you take this up. My husband thoroughly enjoyed his chicken and mash. 2 starters, 4 mains, I dessert, 4 glasses of wine and 4 beers/ciders came to £95. If more of your party like the set menu then even better. Considering the beautiful setting and excellent service this was good value - also we were early for our table but this was no probem and we were still seated. I shall be trying one of Raymondo's restaurants nearer to the Midlands in the future. Bon apetit.

Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

Visited on a weekday evening as a party of 3. This is a really nice dining room as others have suggested.

I think there's a little bit of expectation management to be done though - this is a bistro and that needs to be remembered. If you are looking for something doing cordon bleu with a Michelin star this is not what you will get and nor does it pretend otherwise. What you will get is what a bistro offers which is simple French home-style cooking and this is something which this place does very well.

I chose Escargot to start which was nice and tasty with lots of garlic. I then went for the Demi poulet which was honestly a really really nice piece of chicken.

The service was excellent despite for some reason the dining room just getting unexpectedly busier and busier but the manageress did a fantastic job as did the French waitress (blonde hair).

Would go again, maybe on the weekend during the day.

Reviewed 27 March 2013

This restaurant is stunning - the building was beautifully renovated around original features and has been kept to a very high standard over the years. It is well laid out, clean, tasteful. In fact it is perfect. The staff are very efficient and attentive.

Pity about the food.

We have gone several times over the years and, apart from when it first opened, the food has disappointed more and more. But we keep giving it a try - hope over experience!

This week we went again, and I think that this will be the last time. We could do better at home.

We had salmon and (the only vegetarian main course option) French onion tart. The food was presented on trencher style "plates". There was a piece of cooked salmon - that was about all you could say about it. A small dish of actually very nice and hot french fries (not chips), and a very small dish of sauce. The onion tart wasn't even an individual tart, it was a slice off a large tart. The very small accompanying dish of what was supposed to be Gruyere salad was actually a few bits of fancy greens with no taste of anything much. That lot cost over £25 for the pair.

The sweets of French apple pie and Rhubarb sabayon. Soggy, tasteless pie and a small tasteless sabayon - if I had been blindfolded I would not have recognised that there was rhubarb in it.

The bottle of Sauvignon Blanc wine was fairly well priced and was delicious.

Expectations are high with a restaurant bearing Raymond Blanc's name, and this one falls well short in the food stakes. And isn't food what a restaurant is supposed to be about?