“sad sad sad”

Citrus
Price range: US$8 - US$32
Cuisines: International
Reviewed 4 July 2011

I have quite fond memories of Citrus as I used to go quite a bit during my student days, and the place generally did pretty good food at good value for money. I revisited citrus on Friday for the first time in years for a bit of breakfast before the international cricket and I wish I hadn't now as my experience has ruined my fond memories of the place. You think a well established place like this could handle a busy morning for breakfast on a cricket day as surely they've been catering for the cricket crowd for years now? However service was just chaotic, and the place wasn't actually even totally full.

For a start I ordered a cappuccino (quite pricey at around £3.50), which the waitress brought over in what I can only describe as a thimble sized mug. Then as I went to take a sip I noticed it was not even half full, it was like the waitress had spilled a load of it before serving it to me and hadn't bothered filling it back up. I couldn't believe that she thought it was acceptable to serve this to me.

Me and my guest ordered breakfast (1 full English and 1 bacon butty with red sauce), and what arrived after was most disappointing. My guests bacon buttie came without the red sauce, and after asking for some, and having to wait so long for someone to fetch a bottle he had practically finished his sarnie by the time it arrived. My full English was stone cold, came with no butter for my toast, and I had to ask for salt and pepper as their didn't seem to be any in the whole restaurant.

To be fair to Citrus the food actually tasted good and they seem to be using well sourced ingrediants, its just a pity my food was cold as the service team left it to long to get it to me.

Overall I am sad at what has happened to Citrus, and was even sadder at the £21 bill for such a poor breakfast. (Ive had better equivalent breakfasts for two at around £12) This was once a great restuarant in a prime Headingly location. The manangement can easily make this place great again by urgently addressing the chronic front of house issues they seem to be having (based on my experience and some of the other reviews I have read here).

1  Thank happycamper554

Reviewed 18 June 2011

The risotto on the menu had a (V) beside it so I was surprised when it came with bacon in it. I politely pointed this out and the staff insisted on re-checking the menu as they didn't seen to believe me. The risotto they replaced it with was not cooked properly. The tablecloth had stains on it and the table beside us had some odd brown mush smeared beneath the floor. It was also freezing inside. I definitely won't be going back.

5  Thank robfall_11
Reviewed 2 June 2011

They advertised a promotion including free drink and pool valid till July 2011 and cancelled it with the excuse of new management. Well, when you buy a business (and you don’t even change its name) you are supposed to honour all its obligations. I think this attitude of refusing vouchers that costumers (or potential costumers) damages its image and bring much more loss than a pint and the use of the pool table cost to then. Nothing overcomes frustration and disappointment. My friends could be indifferent to this place, meaning they could go if they knew. Now, we are not indifferent anymore. We just say NO. Let’s avoid bad surprises. In the end of the day, there are so many places in town you can go to play pool and have a pint.

5  Thank AREASP
Reviewed 26 July 2010

We went to this place a few days ago and received a warm welcome unlike at West Park Cafe up the road where we were ignored for over 20 minutes. We had a two year old with us and even though this is a student place they had plenty of high chairs. However when I asked about a child's menu I was patronisingly told that they didn't like doing chicken nuggets etc but could do a child's portion of anything on the menu - as if I would be ordering something like chicken nuggets for a two year old! I didn't really like being chastised for asking for a child's menu by a waiter younger than me but that is what happened. We ordered our food and when it came it was delicious although the cheese sandwich I ordered my son came on slightly stale bread. However our food was nice although took a really long time to say we ordered cold salads. The staff seemed a little amateurish and had to go and "check" everytime they were asked a question which was annoying. All in all, nice food, slow amateurish service.

1  Thank jetheather
Reviewed 14 July 2010

Restaurant has got nice feel and food is well presented and fresh. Full English is fantastic so as everything else. Definitely try their smoothies. They're so delicious!!! Good value for money too. I'm looking forward to be back :)