“A lovely surprise”
Review of Avebury Manor

Avebury Manor
Ranked #3 of 10 things to do in Avebury
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I'm not a great fan of Stately Homes and had really come to Avebury (on my own) to see the stones and henge. However, I thought I'd have a look at the Manor and I'm very glad I did. I won't go through the history / description here, as other reviewers have done that perfectly adequately. I do recommend a visit: the whole complex, associated museum (separate charge), cafe etc. are first rate and there's plenty for small children to do. Visiting the Manor involves buying a ticket for a particular time slot: you're not rushed round once you're inside, but this system helps to avoid crowding. The volunteer guides are excellent and the atmosphere is relaxed enough for small children to enjoy themselves (within reason!) After viewing the house, you can wander round the magnificent gardens: but don't miss out on the tearoom! The cream teas are to die for! Now back to my diet.

There are newer reviews for Avebury Manor

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We did enjoy this NT property with a difference. I've never visited anywhere before where you were positively encouraged to try the beds chairs etc and to touch things. It was enormous fun.

But the rooms too were fascinating. I'd have enjoyed it even as a classic NT property. We were sorry to miss the Tudor rooms - closed due to possible collapse of ceiling,

I have since got hold of the BBC DVD of 'The manor re-born' just to extend my enjoyment. If you didn't see the programmes and are planning a visit, I'd recommend getting the DVD to maximise your pleasure in the visit.

We loved the gardens topiary and vegetable too.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

House was done up by the BBC in changing rooms style . Featuring rooms from different eras I'm not sure it was the best idea for the property but it makes an interesting visit

Reviewed 7 July 2014

National Trust property that's been restored to demonstrate life through the ages - from Tudor times til 1930's, each with a story around a member of the household from that period.
It's fabulous that your can touch anything that you want to/sit on the seats/leaf through the magazines/pick up the pans in the kitchen - it makes the whole thing come to life.
The guides were excellent too and obviously loved the place.
Do visit!
P.S. the NT restaurant is good too!

Reviewed 6 July 2014

All staffed by very knowledgeable volunteers,who encourage you to sit on the furniture,read the old newspapers,play the phonograph,read the old books on the shelves.
All over the UK we have visited stately old homes and manors,this is the very first where you can lie on the beds,play snooker on the table.
Also the church is well worth seeing,where else in the world do you see free bars and biscuits for hungary travellers and a box of free stuff for travellers.
This community really cares and it shows !!!

1  Thank buddah28