The Lodge Avebury
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Duke Hotel(Hilmarton)
View Hotel
Parklands Hotel(Ogbourne Saint George)
Alexandra House(Wroughton)
View Hotel
The Wiltshire(Royal Wootton Bassett)
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewsstone circlesilbury hillb bthe ownertoastvegetarian breakfasta lovely stayfresh fruit saladmany thanksfour poster bedhomemade jamsbed and breakfaststanding stoneswest kennet long barrowsusan and andrewthe pubinteresting paintings
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 February 2013

This is the best B&B me and my girlfriend have ever visited. The bed was huge and comfy, the shower was luxurious, the vege breakfast was delicious and the host was friendly, patient and generous with his extensive knowledge of the area.

If you're interested in the theories and cultures that Avebury inspires, this is also the place for you: the B&B is decorated with compelling pagan imagery, which adds mystique to the place's natural warmth.

On top of all this, the TV had millions of channels, visitors are free to come and go at whatever time they choose (we visited the stones at 6.45am to catch the dawn) and the place has incredible views: both our bedroom and the breakfast table looked out over windows looking directly onto the stones. This is no ordinary place - and it's definitely worth the price.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ric R
Reviewed 31 January 2013

I agree with all that is said about the setting and I loved the deco and the unique room. The owners were friendly and helpful with regard to advice about the local area. However considering it was by far the most I had ever paid for a B&B (we paid £300 for 2 nights), I thought the breakfast was ok - nothing special and was really put off by the lack of toiletries in the bathroom - not even some guest soap on the sink (even the Travel Lodges provide that) and a horrible cheap family bottle of cheap shampoo and body wash. We did have coffee and tea but not a sniff of a biccy! It just seemed a little mean which is a shame.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Redmondy
aveburylodge, Owner at The Lodge Avebury, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2013

I'm glad this reviewer enjoyed their visit to Avebury and that The Lodge interior didn't disappoint and indeed, found me helpful too. Trip Advisor is a useful tool not just for Guests but also for Owners. Why? Well, without feedback, how do we know how we can improve on what we as B&B owners do?

I feel slightly perplexed; In the bathrooms you'll find a range of hand wash, body wash and shampoo's as you would expect. They're prepped for each guest booking too. There's also a friendly note that if there's anything you need to compliment your stay then please ask. If hair conditioner and a packet of hob nobs had increased my rating, I would have been only too delighted to offer them.

From memory, I'd found this reviewer a delightful guest and I'm slightly saddened that they didn't simply ask for some biscuits whilst staying, especially when they seemed to find me an approachable host.

Oh well. Thanks to staying and thank you for the review too.

All best wishes, Andrew

Reviewed 27 December 2012

I stayed at the lodge in October & I cannot recommend this unique B&B enough!
I loved waking up to that wonderful view of the stones this really is a special place & I cannot fault the owner Andy & Sue who could not be more welcoming with such great info on the history of Avebury.
The room was very comfortable & breakfast was very good, had a wonderful couple of days & I will certainly be back

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank sportingme
Reviewed 20 November 2012

I was booked to stay here for two nights and paid well in advanced having read the terms and conditions at the time. Due to an emergency medical problem, I was unable to continue my flight to the UK and stay here the first two nights and had to return home. According to their terms and conditions you have to give 28 days notice. How is this possible when an unforeseen thing happens beyond my control? I emailed the Lodge as soon as I got home and explained the situation and asked for a refund. I wasn't expecting a full refund because of the short notice but I would have even been pleased with a partial refund. I know business is business but showing a little compassion for unforeseen circumstances I think would be better for business than saying you can't have a refund at all.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
14  Thank N S
aveburylodge, Owner at The Lodge Avebury, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2012

I'd had a friendly exchange of e-mail's with Nancy & made every effort to help her recover the cost of her booking & suggested that she contacted her travel insurance company to claim back the costs for her abandoned vacation too. I suspect that Nancy's response from refund request to tripadvsisor feedback in less than a day is probably more of a knee jerk reaction to her circumstances than a reflection on the business. No one likes to have their vacation plans ruined and if Nancy has become unwell, the most important matter is that she gets well soon. Best regards, Andrew

Reviewed 23 October 2012

Recently revisited The Lodge, Avebury, to find the same warm welcome and friendly hosts. Standards of cleanliness still high, and as we had had a long journey, there was a special treat of delicious home-made scones, jam and cream! Thanks, Andy and Sue

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
aveburylodge, Owner at The Lodge Avebury, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2012

Thank you for such a lovely review! You are lovely guests and the home made jam was a very sweet thought too! The Lodge is a B&B set within a stone circle and whilst it's location is unique, the individually of the business seems to draw a lot of regulars from all walks of life and indeed, from all over the World. This review affords the opportunity to say THANK YOU to everyone for their kind words and indeed allows the opportunity to say a big thank you to the guests who have genuinely become friends over the 10 years The Lodge has offered B&B!

The Lodge has made genuine friends with visitors from Belgium, the USA, Australia, South Africa and India, Japan and Germany, Iraq and Israel, Iran, France and Spain, Switzerland and Italy, all of whom have returned again and again!

If you have visited The Lodge and felt perhaps it's not for you, check out the list of B&B's covering Avebury as I hope you will return to explore this magical place.

Avebury Manor is now drawing in a steady flow of visitors since the BBC filmed the series Manor Reborn and Penelope Keith stayed with us, along with her delightful husband. If you are visiting the Manor House, it runs on a timed entry basis so buying tickets early is best!