“Home from Home for a regular traveller”
Review of 85 Exeter Street

85 Exeter Street
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Salisbury
85 Exeter Street
Ranked #35 of 58 Salisbury B&B and Inns
London
“Home from Home for a regular traveller”
Reviewed 27 September 2011

It was a dark and stormy night when I first stayed here in January 20009 "by mistake" as the B&B next door at which I was supposed to be staying was full and they had some sort of swap arrangement between the two establishments. It was a happy accident - since then I have stayed on a regular basis as I visit Salsibury once or twice a month on business. There is always a warm welcome, a cup of tea on arrival at the end of a long day and a smile and a laugh to be had. The breakfasts are also excellent with home made bread and jams and well cookedbreakfast if required. Comfortable lounge, TV, extensive library - all as if being at home. Very highly recommended!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank nativelondoner

Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2011

My office booked this B&B - there are some well known B&Bs on Exeter Street and I was expecting to be in one of these but 85 Exeter Street is very discreet - it's basically the owner's home and that's the great thing about it. A friend decided to stay with me at the last minute and the owner was very helpful about swapping us intp a twin room; we had lovely tea and biscuits on arrival, a nice little room with our own bathroom, plenty of advice about where to eat out, tea delivered to the bedroom in the morning and a lovely breakfast. The decor is fascinating - lots of pictures and things to look at, but very much someone's house - don't stay here is you want something hotel-y and clinical. I will certainly be going back.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Australia
Reviewed 4 November 2009

We stayed at 85 Exeter Street on the way to Stonehenge.

Location: walking distance to eateries, very close to cathedral and very strategic for Stonehenge.

Hostess was friendly and welcoming.

We were given a room on the top floor with an adjacent bathroom. Both room and bathroom were plush, clean, very comfortable and had everything we could possibly need. We were the only ones staying on the top floor so the adjacent bathroom wasn't a problem but a connecting door would have been real good.

Breakfast was plenty and good.

We recommend this place if you are visting Stonehenge.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 June 2009

I stayed at 85 Exeter over a year ago in May 2008. At that time, this B&B wasn't even listed on Tripadvisor, so I couldn't review it after my trip. Now that it's listed, I'll copy what I have written in my trip report:

I called the B&B directly to book. The owner, Susan, answered the phone, and she seemed so nice over the phone that I decided to go ahead with the booking even though I could not find any online reivews anywhere.

The B&B is has 3 floors and she rents out 2 rooms. Mine is the smaller one on (US) 3rd floor. It has a twin bed (plus a roll-out twin underneath). I'd say the room is fine for 1 person, but probably is a bit cramped for 2 if you are someone who likes to hang out in the room. The bathroom is outside the bedroom just next door. It is a private bathroom with full bath.

I also asked to look at the other room, which is a larger double on the (US) 2nd floor. It is very spacious and has its own en-suite bathroom, but shower only.

Location-wise, it is <5 min walk to the Cathedral, 5-10 min walk to center of town, 20 min walk to train station. On the same block, there are 3 other B&Bs (Cathedral View, Cathedral Cottage, and Spire House).

Susan is a gracious host. I felt like I was staying with someone I know. Both guest rooms face the back instead of the front of the house. Downside is one cannot see the cathedral spire; but major upside is how quiet it is. Exeter Street is very busy and I imagine it's noisy facing that street.

I was offered tea and biscuits when I arrived in the afternoon on my first day. The living room is comfortable with plenty of magazines and guidebooks to browse. Susan also has great restaurant suggestions.

Breakfast is laid out each morning on the ground floor room. 3 types of cereal, fresh cut fruit, greek yogurt, OJ, milk. Choice of freshly-brewed coffee or tea. Susan then cooks breakfast to order - choice of eggs, sausages, bacon, tomatoes, mushrooms - any or all of the above. There is also toast, which is homemade by Susan. What a wonderful way to start the day!

Susan is also a docent/guide at the Wilton House, home of the Earl of Pembroke. One of my reason for visiting Salisbury was Wilton House, so staying here with Susan around is almost an extra bonus. She has several guidebooks on Wilton House so I could read up on it before and after my visit. She even gave me a ride home from Wilton House at the end of the day, so I didn't have to wait for the bus.

In summary, this is a great place to stay in Salisbury, and the hospitality offered by Susan made this place extra special.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank y2000k
London
Reviewed 26 May 2009

Have stayed in loads of B&Bs all over the country - you won't find one more equipped, comfortable or a more friendly Sue to look after you. All her recommendations are excellent too!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
brighton
Reviewed 17 May 2009

Unusual pricing stratagy-paid £75 for 1st night (single room) and £80 for the second night (same single room)...would be interested in pricing for weekly stays!
In Sawdays guide with 'from...' rates. Beware!
Good location for cathedral close and good breakfast. No hospitality tray unless insist.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank truthbrighton
ExSt, Owner at 85 Exeter Street, responded to this review, 23 May 2009
This guest completely misunderstood the Tropicana voucher offer to stay at Alastair Sawday establishments, which was Book One Night, Get One Free up to £75 per voucher. She booked at £75 per night. She admitted to not having read the conditions or understanding them. With regard to the Alastair Sawday website, I am in the £50-£99 price band and clearly state my single room is FROM £60 per night. Certainly I do not provide 'hospitality trays' (my guests are generally delighted to have tea served in the drawing room and fresh in the morning to their rooms). However, this guest's request was immediately met.
North West
Reviewed 25 March 2009

Susan provides a welcome that continues in its warmth for the length of your stay. She has a wide range of cultural, artistic and historical interests and an extensive knowledge of and pride in Salisbury - deservedly so. She is more than ready to share these interests and these provide the bases of stimulating conversations. Equally, she respects those less inclined to such engagement. Her home is lovely. I felt I was living, rather than travelling, in England for a brief interlude.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple