“A Well-Run Hotel”

Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
Sydney Australia
“A Well-Run Hotel”
Reviewed 27 September 2012

A very comfortable hotel with friendly helpful staff, clean rooms and bathrooms, and an attached restaurant. Ten minutes walk from the station, five minutes from the cathedral. The little extras like tea, coffee and hot chocolate making facilities, with little packs of quality shortbreads, and breakfast with fresh fruit were appreciated. Smoked salmon was offered as an alternative to the usual bacon, beans and sausages at breakfast.
The hotel supplies earplugs, so perhaps it is noisy on weekends. On our 3 night stay, Sunday to Tuesday, I heard nothing at all while in the room. Non smoking throughout, a definite plus.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank lyndym
CathedralHotel, Owner at The Cathedral Hotel, responded to this review, 28 September 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your very kind words about our hotel and our staff. I will pass your comments on. The house keepers will be very happy that you mentioned how clean the rooms are. As a private hotel we try very hard to add little extras that make our guests stay as comfortable as possible. We try to add personal touches that we feel the national brands cannot offer. All our rooms and our building have some unique features. I am really pleased you enjoyed both our hotel and our city. We hope you get a chance to visit again and we can look after you in the future.

The cathedral Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Málaga, Andalucia, Spain
Reviewed 18 September 2012

I made a decision when we left the hotel last week. If the management emailed an apology for the massive list of negatives I left on the feedback form I wouldn't write a review. They didn't, so here are my grouches in the order they occurred: No help with luggage; lift too small for 2 people & luggage; no lock on adjoining room; faulty loo seat; dirty windows; hard beds; rude bar staff; bread arrived after the meal; revolting cold coffee. Breakfast: severely watered down orange juice; scrambled egg like you have never seen or tasted before; faulty toaster that caught fire. Then, too add insult to injury, bills had not been co-ordinated and we were asked to pay an account already settled. And when you pay to park your car on council land around the corner, be prepared to go back later in the day to top up so you don't get a nasty surprise when you leave. Better still, just stay away all together.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Julie M
Dear Guest
We take guest feedback and customer care very seriously and were possible do everything we can to correct any issues. I made the decision not to contact you after you left your in-house feedback form as I genuinely believed on this occasion nothing we would have done, would have satisfied your expectations. I do not think it is beneficial to go into every point you made on tripadvisor and in your in-house review form, but I would like to give readers of your review the opportunity to make a fair judgement and let them understand why on this occasion I did nothing. You said on your arrival, ''no concierge to carry your bags'' As much as it is not part of the service we offer, if we have guests who need help, we do so with-out condition, yourself and your partner looked very fit to us (When my receptionist heard what you said, she did help you and your partner to the lift) You said the lift was too small (It is an original 1930's wood panelled lift of a reasonable size. We went to great expense to re-commission it instead of having it replaced with a metal box which would have been much cheaper) You said your bread came after your meal (You ordered the bread after your meal was delivered to the table) The toaster is not faulty (A guest put a croissant in it, which it clearly states in word and picture format not to do) You told your server when they table checked you at dinner that our coffee cups were too heavy (I am not sure what you expected). With regards parking, (Our receptionist told you of a 24 hour option, but you chose to stay in the 3 hour stay car park) You said there was no lock on adjoining door (There is, but it is left open as when guests book these rooms as a suite they can make a decision to lock it. You required a double room, so would of only used one side of this suite, we never sell these rooms separately which I believe my receptionist told you) so nobody would of ever been in the room next door. With regards the scrambled egg, I would like to apologise. As part of my investigation into your stay I tried our scrambled egg and found it was not very nice, we have now changed the way this is cooked.

I am sorry you did not enjoy your experience with us, but we fully support the review process as when guests leave helpful practical reviews they help us improve service and standards for future visitors and it helps potential guests make an informed decision if they are booking the right hotel for the right experience.

The Cathedral Hotel
N. Ireland
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Our family of 5 stayed for one night in August as a stop-gap between holiday accommodation. This was the only hotel in Salisbury that would accommodate a room for 5 - 2 adults 3 young kids.

We stayed on a Friday night and the hotel went to great lengths to stress that it could be noisy as the hotel is more of a club at weekends. To be honest we had no choice, so just went with it. We had two connecting rooms with a large bed in each. All the usual stuff tea/coffee, tv in each room but only one basic bathroom between the two. Oh and 5 sets of ear plugs!!!!! It was all clean enough but rooms quite small and stuffy. There are ceiling fans attached to the lights as no air con and secondary glazing installed with a notice to avoid opening windows due to noise.

We ate evening meal in hotel. Good menu. Big choice for kids - probably most thoughtful children's menu I have seen. The food was good, we all enjoyed it and it was good value. Also had 10% off voucher for being hotel guest. Went out for a walk after and Costa coffee and returned at about 9pm. They already had someone on door for club starting. I must say all of the staff were extremely lovely. Very helpful. The waitress/manageress suggested that we open our window (against advice on note) for half an hour coz it was a warm day and room might be hot.

Returned to room and watched olympics. The problem was the heat. With both fans going all night it was still far too warm. We stocked up on drinks for re-hydration purposes!! Hubby complained most of night! There was talk at one stage of lying on bathroom floor to cool down!!
I can't say it was comfortable because it wasn't. As for noise, even though I heard quite a bit - we were on second floor above street, it really didn't bother me and kids slept through fine.

Breakfast was actually disappointing. Even though it is cooked to order it was not great. Mushrooms had some herbs sprinkled on which were strong and tasted everything. Self-serve tea/coffee, toast, cereal, croissants etc. Thought it would be better.

Overall ok for 1 night. A stay at a cooler time of year might be better. Food was good but breakfast disappointing. However, this was only hotel that would accommodate us and the staff were brilliant. Location wise, it is right in middle of Salisbury so very convenient but you will have to pay to park and walk about 5 mins from car park.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
CathedralHotel, Owner at The Cathedral Hotel, responded to this review, 6 September 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to place a review of your stay. The adjoining rooms you stayed in are a very popular choice with families. We normally reccomend them for four guests in total. I appreciate your great comments about our team and your evening menu choice and quality. I am sorry your breakfast was not as you expected after receiving such a great experience at dinner. I have chatted to the breakfast team and they have assured me they would never put herb dressing on the breakfast mushrooms again. Unfortunately as you say there is no air conditioning in the bedrooms, but on most occasions for the UK weather, the ceiling fans are enough to cool the rooms sufficiently. We hope to look after you and your family on your next visit to Salisbury.

Kind regards,
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2012

I booked this as a Red Letter Day gift. Their website did make it clear that the Hotel could be lively and noisy on the weekend which was I booked on a Thursday. Unfortunately, people clearly enjoy a long weekend in Salisbury! To be fair the Hotel Website makes it very clear that Sun-Weds are quite and Thurs to Sat aren't so I was just unlucky/foolish not checking that before booking. To be fair the windows do cut most of the sound out and ear plugs are also provided. With windows shut it does get very hot and then you have to sleep over a floor fan and a ceiling fan. The room was small and nicely done out though there were a few cobwebs in the corners.
We ate in the Restaurant and have to say the food was really good quality and on a Thursday there was 25% off which also meant it was very good value. My starter of whitebait was great, it wasn't until I cleared my plate that my wife spotted a very long hair. The member of staff was very apologietic, mortified even, and without pressing they were removed from the bill. There was a bit of wait for our starter plates to be removed plus our requested jug of water didn't arrive until a second time of asking.
Although I wasn't asked how I wanted my steak, luckily it was done medium rare which is how I like it. My wife's fish mixed grill was very generous also.
Unfortunately things went slightly wrong with desserts. I didn't want one but I did want an Irish Coffee to drink as my wife wanted hers. I had to go to the bar to chase up, as the one member of staff serving the restaurant seemed to be on glass collecting duties. I spotted the coffee half-done on the bar and was told it was on it's way. When it did arrive it was, of course, just warm rather than hot and my wife had long finished her dessert. Again the staff were very apologetic and again this was removed from the bill. When the bill arrived the 25% wasn't discounted so we had to ask for this to be discounted.
Sadly breakfast was also a bit hit'n'miss. The member of staff told us there were problems in the kitchen. I'm guessing either the hob wasn't working or the grill member of staff hadn't turned up as there was no bacon or fried eggs. We opted for deep fried sausages and scrambled eggs and beans. The scrambled eggs were like cardboard, whilst I think the must have been down to their last tin of beans as we only seemed to have one spoonful each! Thankfully the sausages were really nice.
I think if you picked the right night and you were bit luckier with the eating then you could have a really good stay. I marked the service high as they did seem to really care plus from the Hotel's comments they do take customer feedback really seriously. However, ultimately you shouldn't be judging a place on the quality of its apologies. I think the staff seemed overstretched and certainly when we ate there seemed more of a focus on the bar. There's a balancing act to be done and with a little work it can be done.

Room Tip: Ask for the quietest one if you're staying Thurs - Sat.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
CathedralHotel, Owner at The Cathedral Hotel, responded to this review, 29 August 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your balanced and fair review of your stay at our Hotel. We appreciate that you recognise we take guest feedback very seriously and act where possible. With regards the issue in the kitchen, our gas has an automatic cut off if the extractor cuts out and this is what caused the problem in the morning. I will pass on your very kind comments about our team. During our team meetings we discuss reviews and carry out role plays to look for ways of making improvements to our service. It does feel from your review that on this occasion we were just off the mark. On looking at your review and a couple of recent reviews we now allocate at least one person to our restaurant, whereas before they were responsible for the whole floor area. Once again thank you for taking the time to place a review of your stay and giving us theopportunity to make improvements to our service and standards. We hope to exceed your expectations on your next visit to Salisbury.

Milan, Italy
Reviewed 9 August 2012 via mobile

The hotel is nice, the staff is very polite and ready to help, the room is very clean and with a lot of amenities. The restaurant is very, very good (even if we had to wait just a little bit too much...), the breakfast is very generous. The point is that it's noisy.... We had a room on the street and even with double glazing I heard people talking (yelling?....) in the street, and it was Wednesday ... I honestly have to say that neither my husband and my 2 daughters had problem to sleep, and the hotel support you with earplugs. In any case the position is great both for the center than for the cathedral.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
CathedralHotel, Owner at The Cathedral Hotel, responded to this review, 24 August 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your great review of your stay with us during your visit to Salisbury. I am very happy you enjoyed our hotel and restaurant. I am pleased you felt our team were always willing to help and were very polite. I will pass your comments onto our team.

Tony Negal
Oberlin, Ohio
Reviewed 5 August 2012

The hotel understates the awful din. We were unable to sleep until about 2:30 AM - they say the noise comes from outside, but the club music is cranked so loud that the walls shake up on the third floor. DO NOT even consider this hotel if you want to sleep!

The hotel's cavalier attitude toward customers sleep is too bad, because the endeavor to do many things well. And from 2:30 AM to 7 AM it was a pleasant stay. But DO NOT go here on a Saturday night!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

I am sorry you left us thinking we were less than 100% receptive to your comments. I hope it is evident by our great customer service reviews that we take guest feedback very seriously. Thank you for your kind remarks that you felt we did lots of things well. Our website clearly states throughout the week, the hotel offers a quiet, relaxed environment. At the weekend, the bar is open until 02:00 and offers DJ entertainment. Guests are advised that it will probably be noisy from approx. 11pm until 02:30 in the morning at weekends. We have had some guests stay with us that said they could not here anything, but we cannot guarantee this so we fully inform potential guests that there is a risk you will here noise. I hope your stay with us does not deter you from visiting this great City again.

Tony Negal
Nashville, TN
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Our family of 5 stayed in 2 rooms on the top floor on a Monday and Tuesday night.
*No noise issues whatsoever.
*Good bed.
*Good hot water / shower.
*Clean, up to date rooms in a Victorian building which retained a lovely central staircase with skylight overhead.
*Full cooked breaskfast was included and was great--full English.
We had dinner one night as well and we found this to be simple food, well done, with sufficient diversity of the menu to satisfy child, teens, and adult.
*Of special note, all of the staff we interacted with were genuinely concerned with our comfort and stay.
*Parking is in a city lot around 1 corner from the hotel entrance.
* It is a nice walking distance from Salisbury Cathedral and Close (~5 min walk).

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Crumudgeon
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to put an excellent review of your group stay with us. I am very happy that you enjoyed your hotel and restaurant experience with us and we look forward to looking after you when you next visit Salisbury. I will pass on your great comments about our team to the staff that were on duty during your stay.