“Not really a hotel but a pub with rooms”

The Cathedral Hotel
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
Okehampton, United Kingdom
“Not really a hotel but a pub with rooms”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Before I report on the bad bits I would like to say that all the staff were attentive and friendly and the pub grub for dinner was fine. Room was fine. We were told that the area we ate in was ' music free.' How've ever this was not so - the music from the bar was so loud ( and I mean very loud) that even in a side area we could hardly hear each other speak! Noise was worse from those smoking and congregating outside as this was still going at 3.30am and the earplugs did not help.
Breakfast was poor. The menu refers to a selection of bread - when I asked about this I was god that there was brown and white bread available- not really a selection and it was cheap stuff. Scrambled eggs was poor and pre brewed coffee was hardly warm.
Nothing would make me return here.

Room Tip: Do not stay overlooking street as lots of street noise keeps you awake.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
CathedralHotel, Owner at The Cathedral Hotel, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Dear Cacky76

I am sorry you did not enjoy your overall stay with us. The area you were in is music free, as you know you were sat there for about two hours by the fire chatting with your friend. It is unfortunate there was a malfunction that caused the music in that area to raise for a couple of minutes and disturbed your night. We have now updated our breakfast menu and removed the term a choice of bread. I would say all our bread comes from the local baker. The breakfast team have been re-briefed to ensure only fresh bread is available. I hope you enjoyed Salisbury in general and enjoyed catching up with your friend.

Tony Negal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Stayed over for one night with friends cycling through en route from Oxford to Dorset. Whole experience from booking to leaving was excellent. Reception accommodated the way we needed to pay. The manager personally ensured our bikes were put away in a safe lock up area. Kitchen staff went out and bought porridge for our breakfast. (They could have simply said they didn't do it and that would have been that).
Only gripe was the rooms were too stuffy and unable to open the windows for air. Other than that our over all experience was good.
Thank you.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
CathedralHotel, Owner at The Cathedral Hotel, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Dear dianecp2013

Thank you for your great review. It was great that our staff were able to help you enjoy your visit. I do not know why your windows did not open as all our rooms have opening windows. Also we have installed ceiling fans to help circulate the air in the room. We look forward to seeing you in Salisbury again.

torquay devon
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Stayed recently but not impressed......this is a pub with extra rooms upstairs.Advertising for staff on the main door spoke volumes......... I had information that a night club was close by but a roudy
group staying at the hotel did not help......the beds were basic for comfort and the breakfasts were just ok......on the plus side the staff bent over backwards to make my stay comfortable, working under difficult circumstances

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Dear amartinbrown.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am sorry you were disturbed by another group in the hotel. As I said in the reply to your other review posted on booking.com if we do have works do's enjoying themselves it sometimes takes a while to settle them down. Thank you for your great comments about our team. They love working in the differentiating, vibrant environment that we offer and love looking after our guests. I hope you enjoyed your overall visit to Salisbury.

Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

I'm staying at the hotel and decided to eat in. Menu is nothing special, it's functional, and atmosphere is lacking but the staff, without exception, have been helpful, courteous and smiling. Somebody is doing something right here.

The ribeye is what you would expect, but pleasantly surprised that my medium-rare order came medium-rare. I'm usually disappointed, but no complaints here. Reasonable value too.

The first pint I had was a little sharp and just starting to get cloudy - not a hint of resistance at the bar to changing it for a different pint. The Hobgoblin was a delight.

If I had to make one negative observation, it would be that the staff all wear radio earpieces that make them look like bouncers instead of the friendly people that they are, maybe later in the week this is required, but on a Sunday/Monday night it portrays an image that may put some off.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Marklith

Thank you for your great review of your visit to us. I am delighted your steak was cooked just right. I will ensure our team see your comments about how strong you thought they were. The reason our team wear ear pieces is to help them be more efficient. Our kitchen is on the first floor and it makes it easier for the front of house and kitchen team communicate. Once again, thank you and I hope you visit us again soon.

Regards
Cirencester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2013

The jotel was fairly basic. The corridors could do with being refurbished. The room was small. It was clean and the bed was comfortable. The location of the hotel was perfect. However on the thursday night we were tired and looking forward to an early night. We went to bed at 10pm and almost to the minute the music started. Even my teenage daughter thought it was incredibly loud. It continued until way into the early hours of the morning

Room Tip: Check what is on at night
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
CathedralHotel, Owner at The Cathedral Hotel, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Dear kembleeggs1
Thank you for your generally good review of your stay at our hotel. I appreciate it does not help your stay, but after a very busy summer and a lot of foot traffic through our hotel corridors, we have got the decorators coming in over the next couple of weeks to refresh rooms and corridors alike. We do this as a matter of course every year, along with changing some beds and carpets to ensure our hotel is kept clean and fresh for all potential visitors. We try and add little extras to the rooms, flat screen t.v's, tea and hot drink facilities, Free WIFI through-out the rooms and public areas. A lift to all floors, in room fans, hot towel rails in all bathrooms, 4 star quality bed linen and towelling, piping hot high pressure showers, so it is very frustrating when guests say our hotel is basic. We have tried to decorate in a contemporary style while respecting the history of this great building. I am delighted you enjoyed your overall visit to Salisbury and hope you get a chance to visit again soon.
Bergheim, Germany
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We stayed in the hotel on the 18th September after a forced stop on our way to Cornwall due to a two-hour wait in the shuttle under the English Channel. How lucky we were, or we would never have visited this lovely city and would never have found such a lovely hotel! The hotel offered such a warm welcome, such as we have never experienced in Germany. The staff, without exception, were so friendly and helpful. The room was perfect for our needs, very clean, quiet - it was a Wednesday - and the bed comfortable. We had an evening meal in the restaurant and we were not disappointed, excellent food, well cooked and served with a friendly smile. Breakfast was what an English breakfast should be and served quickly. We will definitely visit Salisbury in the future and we will try to reserve a room at the same hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Graham G

Thank you for your fantastic review. I am delighted our team helped you have such a good experience in Salisbury. It is great that you enjoyed the food in our restaurant. I hope if you find yourself in Salisbury again you will visit us.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

If you don't want to sleep this is the place to go. They supply ear plugs for a reason. We were told on the phone they have a dj on Saturday night, I asked would we hear it in our room he said no we were in room 211 just above the main toilets and all you could hear was the music and the toilet doors banging. When we checked out in the morning was asked if we need receipt we said no so was told just to leave our key at reception didn't even asked if we enjoyed our stay.

WHAT EVER YOU DO DONT STAY ON A SATURDAY NIGHT

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Mclrmichelle
I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. I have investigated who took your booking and it was Steve, a trusted member of our management team , so I do not know why he would of said on a Saturday that you would not hear noise. We do have some quiet rooms, but we want all our guests to book for the right experience. During the week we offer a quiet relaxed experience. Our site clearly states you may hear noise on weekend nights as our very popular bar on the ground floor is open until 2am. You should of been asked in the morning if everything was o.k. and we have spent some time retraining our morning team.