“Beautiful Cathedral”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$77.15*
and up
Salisbury, Stonehenge and Bath Custom Day Trip...
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Discover nearly 800 years of history, including Britain's tallest spire, the world's best preserved original Magna Carta 1215 and Europe's oldest working clock, on a free tour with one of our knowledgable volunteer guides. Built between 1220 and 1258 in one architectural style, Salisbury is Britain's finest 13th century Gothic Cathedral. With over 70,000 tons of medieval craftsmanship to admire there is plenty to see, do and learn at Salisbury Cathedral. Ideally we suggest you allow between 1.5 - 3 hours for your visit but you can see most of the highlights in 45 minutes if you are really pressed for time. For the ultimate experience we recommend you take in the breathtaking views of our tower tour (approximately 90 minutes) followed by a floor tour with one of our knowledgeable guides (one hour), finishing with evensong. Alternatively, you can explore the Cathedral at your own pace with our free printed guides. Our interactive Magna Carta exhibition is not to be missed!
Reviewed 15 October 2018

I went to Salisbury on a day trip from London for a tour of Stonehenge and arrived early so I could visit Salisbury Cathedral and see their copy of the Magna Carta. The cathedral is beautiful! Despite all the other tourists, and the fact that a wedding was going on inside so a part of it was closed off, you can still feel the majesty of the place.

After seeing the British Library's copies of the Magna Carta, I was interested in seeing this one. It's in a darkened booth in a room of its own, with lots of explanatory info all around. This copy looks different from the ones I saw in London so I am glad I had the chance to see this version. If you are in Salisbury, the cathedral is a must-see place to visit!

Date of experience: September 2018
1  Thank Lanhua
Ch0rister, Guest Relations Manager at Salisbury Cathedral and Magna Carta, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2018

Thank you for your lovely review. We're very proud of the fact that we have the best preserved of the four remaining Magna Cartas and we're glad it didn't disappoint.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,950)
All reviews
"magnificent building"
in 64 reviews
"well worth a visit"
in 329 reviews
"the stained glass windows"
in 61 reviews
in 439 reviews
"copy"
in 302 reviews

Reviewed 15 October 2018

I had been here 10 years ago and had the chance to re-visit. Glad we did. Good news - bad news - BBC was there at the same time recording a concert so didn't get to show off the beauty to my travel-mates. Lovely grounds, view, courtyard. Do it!

Date of experience: August 2018
Reviewed 15 October 2018

The Cathedral is a great place either indoors or outside.
The prices are high but certain areas are free.Enjoy the architecture and the history associated with it.

Date of experience: September 2018

Thank you for your review and we're glad you enjoyed your visit. We only encourage a donation for visiting the Cathedral floor, including the Magna Carta exhibit. There is no obligation to pay for entry. It does cost if you wish to take a Tower Tour.

Reviewed 15 October 2018 via mobile

What a fantastic piece of Architecture. Stunning views from the top, I would travel all the way from Russia just to visit this place.

Date of experience: October 2018
1  Thank G8698UUalexb
See more reviews
Reviewed 15 October 2018

Here I go again on my soapbox about ENTRANCE FEES for places of worship!
This practice sickens me, so sad.

We walked up to the Cathedral, no fee signs outside the external entrance door and I thought 'great', it's free for us to go in, my friend was particularly looking forward to it.

We went through the main door to be greeted by an enormous glass & wooden Toll Booth (must have cost thousands to erect) blocking the way into the main Cathedral with two narrow passages either side of the booth and two cashiers sat awaiting our approach. We were confronted by an enormous sign stating 'suggested donations' of £7.50 for adults and £6.50 concessions etc.
Why not just state 'ENTRANCE FEES'? ...... because the whole purpose of this set-up is to embarrass visitors into paying!

People are mostly like sheep ......... 'flock'...... they will not all stand up and be counted or challenge rules for fear of standing out from the crowd and organisations play on this marketing ploy as a form of blackmail.
Also, travellers from other countries who maybe cannot translate would probably just pay automatically, thinking they have no choice.

I would have queried the charge but sadly my friend did not want a fuss or want me to 'make a scene' and so we did not see inside the cathedral - well done the church!

Is it any wonder less and less people are entering the house of God these days?

I would have been happy to wander into the Cathedral without any pressures and to have given a donation of my choice into a donation box on my way out.

We walked around the cloisters and saw that the entrance to the Magna Carta was free, so at least that was accessible without any pressure to pay.

The older I get the more disappointed I get with the church. I have discussed this with a group of friends who all agree with me that religions need to change and not be seen to be money-grabbers all the time, it is so sad when organisations lose sight of what really matters in life. Human life and well-being or bricks and mortar?

It appears that most Cathedrals are now museums with entry fees so why not just hand them over to the National Trust?

However, do go visit the nearby St Thomas's church which is beautiful and free with no pressure to donate.

Date of experience: October 2018
3  Thank Bexster_uk
Ch0rister, Guest Relations Manager at Salisbury Cathedral and Magna Carta, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2018

Please be assured that there is no obligation to pay for entry. Our building costs around £14,000 per day to run, and we receive no funding from the Government or the Church of England towards our work, which is why we ask for voluntary donations. Many visitors do prefer to make a donation on their way out, as you have suggested, if they choose to donate at all.

We do not have a toll booth, but a welcome desk which is not just for accepting donations. Our welcome desk is an important point of contact for visitors as they can receive information, make enquiries and purchase tickets for our musical concerts and specialist tours for which we do charge. We hope you approached a member of staff at the welcome desk, as they deal with are the topic of donations on a daily basis and they are trained to do so with sensitivity. Hopefully you’re not discouraged from returning.

If you do wish to discuss this further, please get in touch via our website.