“Excellent location in the heart of Salisbury”

Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
Reviewed 14 December 2011

We stayed at the Mercure White Hart in late October 2011 and were quite impressed with the venue. First and foremost, the hotel's location is EXCELLENT! It's directly across from Saint Anne's Gate, which takes you in to the Cathedral Cloisters, and is a 5 minute walk to the main shopping streets of Salisbury.

The hotel itself was good. Situated in a 17th century building, the setting is stunning, with traditional decor and a beautiful courtyard. The rooms are large and modern, with comfortable beds, nice bathrooms (awful water pressure, but it's an extremely old building so you can't expect too much!), and an excellent range of TV channels. The breakfast spread was excellent and offered a wide range of hot and cold options, and the room-service food was tasy and decently-priced.

My main (and pretty much only) gripe with this hotel was the wi-fi service. Wi-fi was SO expensive, charged at a few pounds an hour, increasing to 16 pounds or thereabouts for 24hrs. We stayed here for 10 days on a business trip, and as I was working from the room I found myself paying almost 100 pounds for wi-fi over the duration of our trip! For a business-oritented hotel, it's ludicrous that they don't offer free wi-fi, and it seems to me like they're charging for it purely because they know people/companies will pay the money. Not cool, Mercure!
In addition, to get wi-fi you either need to call reception and receive a code to unlock the internet for the requested duration, or head down to reception and ask in person. The phone in our room was REALLY quiet and it was very difficult to hear the person on the other end, so we had to head downstairs more times than we would have liked. If they're going to charge for wi-fi, the hotel REALLY needs to rethink its system of delivery, and make it a little easier/more convenient to order! Perhaps some kind of a log-in system that tallies the wi-fi cost over the stay and charges the guest at the end? As it was, it was far too much hassle than it was worth, and I would have refrained from using the net if I had the choice.

Overall, a good choice for a business hotel in Salisbury, but think twice before using the internet!

Room Tip: We had a room on the second floor (220, I think it was) with an excellent view of the courtyard!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank HeatherPH
WhiteHartManager, General Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2011

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to inform me of your recent stay with us in October and concerns raised regarding the WIFI access and pricing.

I have shared your comments relating to the access WIFI and the way in which this offer is delivered from a guest perspective and the rates currently charged, as I understand from a business traveller that this access is necessary. Where possible we are able to negotiate with our business accounts in relation to these WIFI charges and would be happy to discuss further if this was of interest when returning to the hotel.

In the meantime if I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate in contacting me direct.

Mark Postlethwaite

Write a ReviewReviews (1,018)

Reviewed 14 December 2011

I have stayed here a lot over the years. It has always been okay but I feel it is in decline. My room this time had no flushing toilet and as there were no spare rooms we were given a free drink voucher (not used) and an ice bucket for the loo!!! No cost reduction was offered.
As an Accor group matter, I had booked to use my Accor points but on arrival was told that the cost had been deducted in full from my bank account and the vouchers could not be used. Disappointing!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brockville21

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to inform me regarding your recent stay with us at the White Hart Hotel.

Firstly please accept my apologies for the lack of care and hospitality offered during your stay with us earlier this month and that this concern was not dealt with in an effective manner, for me to further investigate and deal with accordingly may I ask that you contact me direct at the hotel.

My initial investigation into this matter has identified that a maintenance issue was raised after departure of a guest, and therefore share with your concerns that this was not dealt with appropriately either at the time or when you were departing.

In relation to the accor points you wished to use, I can only presume that this was due to the reservation made been an advanced pre payable rate, again to resolve this matter I would ask that you contact me direct so that I may assist with this concern.

Once again please accept my apologies and I look forward in hearing from you soon.

Reviewed 14 December 2011

Sometimes I wonder whether star ratings have anything to do with service. The hotel is fine, albeit designed by someone with very little taste or flair, but if you are going to hold yourself out as a four star establishment, you dont respond to guests bringing you a broken bulb by suggesting they pick up a replacement on their return from town. Nor do you insouciantly send an enquiring guest off to a bar with no one there to serve. If it's the little things that count, these people are innumerate and whoever manages the place should be doing more, better. It's far from terrible, centrally located and the price was reasonable, so this is not a damning review: we wont be going back though.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank markoglesby

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your recent feedback concerning your stay with us at the White Hart Hotel earlier this month.

Firstly please accept my apologies relating the lack of hospitality shown by the team in relation to your maintenance query and bar service, I have discussed both these concerns with the appropriate Manager's both wish to be associated with my apologies.

In relation to the light buld I am left confused and upset that this was not dealt with appropriately as we have a stock of varying light bulbs available, regularly stocked and maintained. I would ask to enable me to deal with this issue that you contact me direct with further detail as I will not accept this standard of hospitality. I am also monitoring the staffing levels of the bar throughout the day to ensure that we have the appropriate availability.

Once again please accept my apologies and feel assured that all the appropriate action has been taken to ensure no repetition of these concerns.

Reviewed 11 December 2011

I love this place!!! Most of the time I'm out riding about on a push bike. But, when the weather overwhelms me I head to the White Hart. The first year I arrived on a rainy night at midnight. Not only did the give me a warm and comfy room, but put my bike in the store room. I have returned every year since. Staff are friendly, helpful and always seem to be smiling. This year I had a friend with me so they had to make an adjustment to the room. We were given much needed hot tea and cookies because we had to wait. Did I say "I LOVE THIS PLACE!?"

Room Tip: Every room I've had is the best!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
WhiteHartManager, General Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2011

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about both your stay last year and more recently, I was very pleased to read that although the room was not ready on arrival that you were well looked after by the team, as we pride ourselves on great service

I hope that we will see you again in the future whatever the weather.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 11 December 2011

Like a number Mercure hotels in UK, this one was an old coaching inn. Ideally situated within walking distance of the city centre and cathedral. Similarly well situated for day trips to Old Sarum, Stonehenge and Longleat. The rooms are comfotable and well appointed. Adequate cheap parking at the rear of the hotel. The staff were efficient and polite.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to complete the recent review for the hotel and this was pleasing to read that the staff were efficient and polite.

And as mentioned the hotel has a traditional feel with modern well appointed bedrooms close to the attractions in Salisbury and surrounding areas and with suitably sized car park for your stay when visiting the local attractions.

We hope to welcome you back to the White Hart in the future.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 27 November 2011

Me and my girlfriend decided to stay here as a stopover on a trip to Wales.

After taking a few wrong turns in the city centre and a detour because a road was closed, we found the hotel situated next to all the shops, upon entering the hotel we were welcomed and greeted by friendly staff, in perticular a lady with an Australlian accent (im not sure what her name was), she helped us carry our cases up to our first floor room. We had booked a Privilige Double room.

In our room we found a king size bed, nice sized TV with good selection of channels, nice bathroom with bathrobes and good air con, we also found a mini fridge under the TV the room was clean and furnished to a good standard

The room was of a good size and easy to find everything, apart from the 20 minute game of finding the hairdryer :).

We didnt take breakfast or dinner in the hotel but where we would have done this looked very welcoming, the hotel itself inside had a feel from the past which gave it good character.

The only negative point is i put in a request for a room with a four poster bed and they could not give us a room with one, even though i made the reservation around 12 weeks before, however this has not put us off as we would return to the hotel soon.

Overall this was a good choice and we shall be returning sometime in the new year

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
WhiteHartManager, General Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your kind words about your stay with us recently regarding the hotel and partuclarly the service provided.

I have passed on congratulations to Bridie the Australian receptionist you mentioned for ensuring a warm and pleasant welcome was received on arrival. The hotel ground floor has recently been refurbished and we have made sure that where possible the traditional character of the building was at the heart of this and I was glad to read that this was appreciated in your feedback.

You also mentioned that you were looking to return in the New Year, if you require any further assistance with this reservation do not hesitate in contacting me direct, and once again thank you for your feedback.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 15 November 2011

What a different experience I had last weekend from the other reviewer and we attended the same wedding.
I wouldn't hesitate to book a wedding there (although I have to be proposed to first!).
The staff were very friendly and attentive and I found the wedding coordinator to be very nice (I think her name was Sarah).
The service for our table during the meal was really good.
I can't imagine the staff get much sleep because they were serving us drinks in the evening and there to serve breakfast as well.
I had a single 'Privilege' room which was not very big but it was decorated nicely and had a view of the Cathedral.
The only downside was that for an event like a wedding, there was not enough parking.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends