We stayed at the Mercure White Hart in late October 2011 and were quite impressed with the venue. First and foremost, the hotel's location is EXCELLENT! It's directly across from Saint Anne's Gate, which takes you in to the Cathedral Cloisters, and is a 5 minute walk to the main shopping streets of Salisbury.
The hotel itself was good. Situated in a 17th century building, the setting is stunning, with traditional decor and a beautiful courtyard. The rooms are large and modern, with comfortable beds, nice bathrooms (awful water pressure, but it's an extremely old building so you can't expect too much!), and an excellent range of TV channels. The breakfast spread was excellent and offered a wide range of hot and cold options, and the room-service food was tasy and decently-priced.
My main (and pretty much only) gripe with this hotel was the wi-fi service. Wi-fi was SO expensive, charged at a few pounds an hour, increasing to 16 pounds or thereabouts for 24hrs. We stayed here for 10 days on a business trip, and as I was working from the room I found myself paying almost 100 pounds for wi-fi over the duration of our trip! For a business-oritented hotel, it's ludicrous that they don't offer free wi-fi, and it seems to me like they're charging for it purely because they know people/companies will pay the money. Not cool, Mercure!
In addition, to get wi-fi you either need to call reception and receive a code to unlock the internet for the requested duration, or head down to reception and ask in person. The phone in our room was REALLY quiet and it was very difficult to hear the person on the other end, so we had to head downstairs more times than we would have liked. If they're going to charge for wi-fi, the hotel REALLY needs to rethink its system of delivery, and make it a little easier/more convenient to order! Perhaps some kind of a log-in system that tallies the wi-fi cost over the stay and charges the guest at the end? As it was, it was far too much hassle than it was worth, and I would have refrained from using the net if I had the choice.
Overall, a good choice for a business hotel in Salisbury, but think twice before using the internet!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This 17th century 3 star hotel with 68 en suite rooms stands in the centre of Salisbury overlooking the famous Cathedral. Ideal base to visit Stonehenge and the New Forest. 25 miles from Southampton Airport, 1 mile from Salisbury railway and coach station. The hotel features the award winning Squires Restaurant and Bar, a lounge, 3 conference suites and a free car park. Nearby local leisure facilities just a short walk away include swimming, sauna, squash, tennis, snooker, horse riding and golf. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with ACCOR, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelsClick, Ebookers, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mercure White Hart Salisbury Hotel Salisbury
- Accor White Hart Salisbury
- Mercure Salisbury