“Central position is a major plus” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel

Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Central position is a major plus”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2012

The central position and parking (£5 per day which seems reasonable) are major pluses and we'd booked last year so had a very good deal. The room in the original part of the hotel was nothing special though it did face the back and was therefore quiet. Floor very creaky so glad we were on second rather than first floor. Shouldn't have to pay for wi-fi these days. I note another reviewer has pointed out the lack of disabled facilities - on the first floor with no lift. A disabled lady staggered up 18 steps hanging on to the banister but the 18th step was without support leading into the corridor. Hotel needs to instal some sort of support for this final step. My four stars is only on the basis of the position and parking, otherwise it would have been three and, had I been disabled, even fewer. Very pleasant lounge.

Room Tip: No lift so ask for first floor if you have problems with stairs. Rooms facing the courtyard and car...
2 Thank Alex450212
WhiteHartManager, General Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
Dear Alex450212

Many thanks for letting us know about your stay and was pleased to read that we were in an ideal location in the centre of the city for you to enjoy and explore.

I have noted your comments regarding the WIFI and can confirm that we are reviewing this in line with previous comments.

Once again thank you for your feedback and hope we have the opportunity in welcoming you back to Salisbury in the future.

Mark Postlethwaite

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Petawawa, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2012

staff at this hotel were amongst the most poorly managed and trained I had encountered in a long time. We arrived at 8 pm, and my wife was tired and went straight to the room to rest. I stayed in the bar (being generous) for a couple of hours with colleagues from work for a couple of beers. The bar was nearly empty of patrons, and yet the bartender failed to even ask me (or others at my table) to pay the bill and proceeded upstairs (2 flights, no elevator, classy place) and woke my wife challenging her to pay the barbill on the spot! She told him I was still in the bar and he returned to ask me to pay up 14 BP bill. Apart from this incompetence, the staff were scarce and not really helpful including a reception clerk who justified the bartenders poor performance by telling me that he was "just doing his job to make sure bar bills are paid as "people" had been drinking without paying often at the bar...". go figure, just don't bother staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: ground floor at the back to avoid lack of elevator and noise
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
WhiteHartManager, General Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, 17 August 2012
Dear KnowsPorter

I was very disappointed to read your recent review and as you may have noted from other reviews we pride ourselves on the service we provide at the hotel.

Firstly please accept my apologies and you have my personal assurances that these concerns will be addressed with the individuals concerned, ensuring that further training is provided to all of the team to prevent future occurrence, as at the White Hart we strive to provide great customer service for all of our guests.

Thank you for letting us know about your experience and if I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate in contacting me direct.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2012

We recently held our wedding reception at the White Hart in Salisbury. Sarah from the wedding team was exceptionally helpful, with no detail being missed - from the rooms we stayed in the night before, to the flowers being delivered to the room, and all the attention to detail for the reception. All staff were very friendly and helpful and we felt relaxed and enjoyed our stay. We thoroughly recommend the White Hart for a small wedding!

My one not so favourable point is in relation to the noise at the front of the hotel. The night before I stayed in a room at the back of the hotel and is was very quiet. On the night of the wedding we stayed in the room with the balcony at the front of the hotel. We didn't notice the double glazing (as mentioned in another response on here) and felt that the people walking in front of the hotel and the parties could've been on the balcony as it was so noisy! Such as shame as the room itself was lovely and all other aspects of our stay were great.

Room Tip: Chose a room at the back of the hotel away from the main road at the front.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WhiteHartManager, General Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, 10 August 2012
Dear Jo T

Firstly congratulations on your recent wedding and thank you for choosing the White Hart Hotel and for your complimentary remarks for the team at the hotel.

I have congratulated Sarah and the team for their hospitality and ensuring that no detail was missed and for their exceptionally helpful and friendly approach making you feel relaxed and able to enjoy your big day.

Once again thank you for your kind words and if I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate in contacting me direct.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2012

Horrible dark, shabby room. Very uncomfortable bed. Noisy. Very rude receptionist on two of three ocassions we needed to speak (one was very nice). Go somewhere else and get at least some value for your money.

Room Tip: Away from the front of the hotel, but I doubt a good room exists here.
4 Thank Itchyfeet95
WhiteHartManager, General Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2012
Dear Itchyfeet95

Thank you for taking the time in letting us know about your stay, although I was very disappointed to read your comments relating to the hospitality recieved.

I take feedback concerning the hospitality seriously and as such if you could provide me with any further information in relation to the individual concerned then I can take the appropriate action.

In relation to your comments about the bedroom we have various room types both at the front and rear of the hotel and can only apologies that the room allocated on this occasion was not to the standard expected.

Once again thank you for the feedback and if you are to return to Salisbury please contact me direct so that I may assist with your reservation.

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

Stayed for 3 nights. We were in a bedroom on the second floor (230), this is a historic hotel and there was no lift so beware if you are disabled and check with the hotel. The room had sloping floors and creaky floor boards as one would expect in a building of this age; it was harder to explain the significant ripples in the carpet. Noise was said to be a problem in some reviews but in this room we had no such problems but light shone through the gaps around the door and it faced east, even the heavy curtains did not keep the light out. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom was small but adequate, fittings were aged, with brass showing through the chrome; the water flow to the shower was obviously restricted, visiting Americans might find this tiresome.

There was always a jug of cold drink on the reception desk and I note from another review that this might have been Pimms, if so we were not offered any. Staff were generally friendly and efficient. We only had dinner there on the Sunday night, there were two waiters and only seven tables used by 17 people, even so there were long delays before food appeared and our soup and sourdough, came without sourdough - a request for the bread was treated as though we were being a little greedy because there had been some bread and butter on the table. The soup, though advertised as vegetable was an anonymous brown colour with a flavour suggesting that it contained a lot of mushroom. The remainder of the food was fine.

With so many fine restaurants nearby the hotel might like to ask their marketing department about the order in which they present their menu. There is a fixed price menu at a very reasonable £18 for 3 courses but the a la carte menu looks expensive and is presented first. All of the choices that we would have made fom the a la carte menu were within the fixed price option. The wine list is very restricted, given that there are now many excellent English wines to choose from could the hotel not add 2 or 3 to their wine list? This is a quintessential English city.

The car park behind the hotel is fairly priced at £5 per night, it was full on the Saturday night. The car park is accessed from opposite 91 Brown Street, enter that into the sat nav and you can avoid taking a trip round the square in which the hotel is placed, reception etc is directly accessible from the car park.

The walls of the cathedral close are directly opposite the hotel and the market square is a short stroll away. A good location from which to see the city of Salisbury.

Room Tip: Rooms are varied because of th historic nature of the building, suggest you discuss your needs with...
1 Thank Haemtraveller
WhiteHartManager, General Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, 27 July 2012
Dear Haemtraveller

Many thanks for your feedback concerning your recent stay with us at the White Hart Hotel in Salisbury.

As the heading suggests I was glad that you found us in an excellent location in the heart of city, in easy access of the Cathedral and Close and that the accommodation was comfortable.

However although the drink on reception was not Pimms, I was disappointed that you were not offered on arrival and will ensure that the Reception team are aware to offer to all guests. The Pimms mentioned previously is a special promotion available where you recieve a complimentary glass on arrival, there are numerous offers available so let me know if you wish to know more about any MERCURE promotions.

Once again thank you for your feedback and if I can be of any further assistance do not hesitate to contact me direct.

Huntingdon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

We only had one night here on our way to Poole, although they had a limited meal option (we arrived around 7pm on a Sunday night) they were very obliging and we had a simple but lovely dinner. Refurbished in the last two yrs it still looks fresh and clean. Very friendly staff, couldnt' do enough to help. Can reccommend

• 4 of 5 bubbles
WhiteHartManager, General Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, 26 July 2012
Dear Kathryn T

Thank you for taking the time in letting us know about your stay with us at the White Hart in Salisbury.

It is always pleasing to read such positive comments about the team at the hotel in relation to their friendliness and willingness to provide the service levels expected, I was also pleased to read your comments about the food quality and have passed on your comments to the team.

Once again thank you for your feedback and hope that the visit to Poole was enjoyable and hope to see you again in the future.

Newhaven, East Sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2012

Have just spent one night in this hotel. Fabulous location, and all the staff, without exception were charming, friendly and very helpful. The breakfast was superb - full range of hot and cold food, all well cooked and of good quality. The free Pimms when I arrived was a very nice touch and very good. I'm afraid that I do have one or two negative comments about the room - it was incredibly hot in the room, but the sash window was faulty (?) and wouldn't stay open. I asked for a quiet room and this may have been the best they could do but right outside the window there was a huge ventilation flue or something similar which made a lot of noise. The room was a bit tired - peeling and dirty stained wallpaper, a very frayed and worn chair and the bedcover had several unpleasant looking stains on it. The bed was very soft - more like a waterbed.....

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WhiteHartManager, General Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2012
Dear Anniel_7

Thank you for staying with us at the White Hart and for taking the time to let us know about your stay.

I was pleased to read that the team here at the hotel were charming and friendly, and that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet, with fresh fruits etc as well as the hot breakfast items to give you the best possible start to the day.

And I have noted that although the bed was comfortable which is great for a good nights sleep that the decor of the room was disappointing and can confirm that we are currently in the process of an in house soft refurbishment programme. Regarding the temperature, we have a number of rooms with ac units and are reviewing the rest of the bedrooms also.

Once again thank you for all your feedback and if I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate in contacting me direct.