I would have ranked the Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel as "average" except for two very pleasant staff members, Megan and the kind woman with the long braid who served us breakfast (I am sorry, I have forgotten her name).
The room was decent (although the box spring was broken in one place) and clean. It was a comfortable space to rest our heads and unwind after visiting Stonehenge. And the breakfast was quite tasty and abundant. However, most of the staff was unfriendly, and quite frankly seemed unhappy in their jobs.
When we first arrived to leave our bags at around 11am on the morning of September 30th, the older woman with the dark hair did not want to help us. I had a question to ask and I said several times "Excuse me, excuse me?". She glanced at me, and then turned back away again, pretending that she had not seen me. When I finally said it again very loudly, she helped but it seemed like an imposition. I am not one to be paranoid, but I could not help but wonder if she was homophobic or racist or both. She was quite friendly to the white man before us, but my partner and I, an interracial same-sex couple, received far less friendly treatment (it was clear that we were a couple).
Another rude staff member was the woman with short-ish blonde hair who served breakfast and later tea and drinks on Monday October 1st. When my partner and I were using the Internet in the back hall together, I had to sit on the floor because there was only one chair. This was quite uncomfortable due to my bad back, so when she passed by I asked if there was a chair that I could possibly use. She looked very irritated and abruptly told me that no, there were only big chairs in the waiting room. I cannot believe that there is no smaller chair anywhere at all. Her attitude was very negative and unhelpful. I continued to sit on the floor, which is quite crazy to have to do in a nice hotel. I noticed that she was glum as well during breakfast. I used to work for a number of years in the service industry so I know it can be difficult. But you are never supposed to show that to customers. And in this economy, anyone with a steady job should be a bit more grateful.
The two standouts were Megan and the kind woman who helped us with breakfast. Megan was very cheerful, polite, and professional. Any question I had was answered thoroughly and with a smile. When I reported about the broken box spring, she was very attentive and apologetic. Her demeanor and attitude were consistently professional and pleasant. She looked quite young but she behaved very maturely. She seemed to enjoy her job. At breakfast, our kind server was very patient and helpful with my dietary restrictions (I have Coeliac disease). She made certain that I had a nice, safe breakfast. Not once did I feel like it was an imposition. I greatly appreciated that.
If all of the staff were as polite, professional, and helpful as these two women the Mercure White Hart would be a better hotel.
Better staff training is needed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This 17th century 3 star hotel with 68 en suite rooms stands in the centre of Salisbury overlooking the famous Cathedral. Ideal base to visit Stonehenge and the New Forest. 25 miles from Southampton Airport, 1 mile from Salisbury railway and coach station. The hotel features the award winning Squires Restaurant and Bar, a lounge, 3 conference suites and a free car park. Nearby local leisure facilities just a short walk away include swimming, sauna, squash, tennis, snooker, horse riding and golf. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with ACCOR, Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Priceline, Expedia, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Hotel.de and Traveltool, S.L.U. so you can book your Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mercure White Hart Salisbury Hotel Salisbury
- Accor White Hart Salisbury
- Mercure Salisbury