“Decent room, good breakfast, mediocre staff”

Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
London, United Kingdom
“Decent room, good breakfast, mediocre staff”
Reviewed 9 October 2012

I would have ranked the Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel as "average" except for two very pleasant staff members, Megan and the kind woman with the long braid who served us breakfast (I am sorry, I have forgotten her name).

The room was decent (although the box spring was broken in one place) and clean. It was a comfortable space to rest our heads and unwind after visiting Stonehenge. And the breakfast was quite tasty and abundant. However, most of the staff was unfriendly, and quite frankly seemed unhappy in their jobs.

When we first arrived to leave our bags at around 11am on the morning of September 30th, the older woman with the dark hair did not want to help us. I had a question to ask and I said several times "Excuse me, excuse me?". She glanced at me, and then turned back away again, pretending that she had not seen me. When I finally said it again very loudly, she helped but it seemed like an imposition. I am not one to be paranoid, but I could not help but wonder if she was homophobic or racist or both. She was quite friendly to the white man before us, but my partner and I, an interracial same-sex couple, received far less friendly treatment (it was clear that we were a couple).

Another rude staff member was the woman with short-ish blonde hair who served breakfast and later tea and drinks on Monday October 1st. When my partner and I were using the Internet in the back hall together, I had to sit on the floor because there was only one chair. This was quite uncomfortable due to my bad back, so when she passed by I asked if there was a chair that I could possibly use. She looked very irritated and abruptly told me that no, there were only big chairs in the waiting room. I cannot believe that there is no smaller chair anywhere at all. Her attitude was very negative and unhelpful. I continued to sit on the floor, which is quite crazy to have to do in a nice hotel. I noticed that she was glum as well during breakfast. I used to work for a number of years in the service industry so I know it can be difficult. But you are never supposed to show that to customers. And in this economy, anyone with a steady job should be a bit more grateful.

The two standouts were Megan and the kind woman who helped us with breakfast. Megan was very cheerful, polite, and professional. Any question I had was answered thoroughly and with a smile. When I reported about the broken box spring, she was very attentive and apologetic. Her demeanor and attitude were consistently professional and pleasant. She looked quite young but she behaved very maturely. She seemed to enjoy her job. At breakfast, our kind server was very patient and helpful with my dietary restrictions (I have Coeliac disease). She made certain that I had a nice, safe breakfast. Not once did I feel like it was an imposition. I greatly appreciated that.

If all of the staff were as polite, professional, and helpful as these two women the Mercure White Hart would be a better hotel.

Better staff training is needed.

2 Thank Jamie M
WhiteHartManager, General Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, 11 October 2012
Dear Jamie M

Thank you for taking the time in letting us know about your stay with us at the White Hart in Salisbury.

I was very pleased to read your general comments about the hotel including the quality of breakfast as well as the great customer service provided by Megan and Andrea, the members of the team mentioned, as this is the service we strive to deliver and I have come to expect.

However I was concerned to read the comments regarding 2 more of our employees, as I take such feedback very seriously and will be investigating the specific comments relating to both employess and taking the appropriate action.

You have my personal assurances that we will be taking the necessary action to enable us to deliver more consistent standards in the future, however in the meantime if you wish to discuss further do not hesitate in contacting me direct at the hotel.

Mark Postlethwaite

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2012

We have stayed at The Mecure a few times before, so when we were planning a trip to Salisbury automatically booked this hotel. The room that we were given was so tiny and was classed as a Premier room. It was dusty and the inside of the bathroom door was filthy. There was a wedding that Saturday which I appreciate hotels do have, however, this one took over the entire hotel. I couldnt get in or out of the main door and trying to get to the stairs was hard work. If a hotel is going to hold weddings, perhaps it may be an idea not to hold them by the front door where guests are trying to get in and out. We stayed for 2 nights and on the second day housekeeping didnt give us any clean glasses and didnt really clean the room. Still dusty and still with a filthy bathroom door. In 2012 most hotels give you free wi fi but not his one and then as a leaving gesture we had to pay £10 for the car park. There is no way that this should be a 4 star hotel. Wont be staying here again thanks.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
WhiteHartManager, General Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, 9 October 2012
Dear Blackandwhitecats

Thank you for your feedback, however I was very disappointed that your stay was marred by the cleanliness of the hotel, and I take such feedback seriously.

These comments have been shared with the Housekeeping team and management at the hotel who wish to be associated with my apologies. We have a process of both self checking and supervision and will be personally overseeing this procedure over the coming weeks to ensure that the expected standards are met.

Once again thank you for your review and if possible ask that you contact me direct with the details of the room so that I may take the necessary action.

Shrewsbury
Reviewed 2 October 2012

We stayed here last Friday to Sunday.There was a wedding reception when we arrived and
2 (yes 2) wedding receptions on the Saturday. No customer care. Too many issues to mention. Good breakfast and staff we'll trained but take my advice and check if there's a wedding on before you go within a mile of this place

PLEASE check first if a wedding reception (or 3) and if so avoid this hotel like th b. ...plagu

Room Tip: Try another hotel
1 Thank A D
WhiteHartManager, General Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, 4 October 2012
Dear AD

Thank you for taking the time in letting us know about your recent stay and would once again wish to extend my apologies for not meeting your expectations on this occasion following our recent communications.

As you mentioned the hotel is a popular destination for both leisure and business guests alike whether for a short break getaway, wedding or private event and we endevour to provide great service to all of our guests. And as previously mentioned I have ensured that the appropriate measures are been taken in response to your concerns.

Once again thank you for your feedback and still hope we have the opportunity in welcoming you back in the future.

Coulsdon, Surrey
Reviewed 29 September 2012

We stayed at the White Hart for just 1-night for a wedding reception.

The hotel has a large car park at the rear, which is accessed via a one-way street and there was a £5.00 charge for use of this.

The room was a very good size and pleasant. We would have only 2-minor criticisms which were that they use (what must be) old compact-fluorescent bulbs which did take a long’ish time to brighten up and also our particular room had the shaving mirror positioned in such a way that you had to stand a little way away from it – so it felt awkward to use. However, this seems to be a one-off for our particular room as another member of our party did not have this problem in their room.

We found the bed comfortable and had no issues with noise.

The hotel has good and large ‘communal’ areas which are light and airy and a nice place to sit and read. The Hotel also has a very nice, secluded, courtyard area.

There was an excellent choice of breakfast and we found all the staff to be helpful and friendly.

In summary we would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Kevin S
WhiteHartManager, General Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, 2 October 2012
Dear Kevin S

Thank you for posting your feedback concerning your recent stay with us at the White Hart in Salisbury.

As always it is pleasing to read such positive feedback concerning the team at the hotel and that all the staff were worthy of praise for their helpfulness and friendliness during your stay and will serve as motivation for the entire team.

I have shared your positive comments relating to the excellent breakfast buffet choices enjoyed with us with the Food and Beverage department and to ensure that we maintain the high levels expected by all of our guests.

We look forward in welcoming you back to the White Hart in the not so distant future and provide you the service and comfort you have recieved on this occasion.

United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2012

My husband and I had a 2-night weekend break at the White Hart. It wasn't the hotel of our choice since we booked another hotel through Hotels.com only to find out a few days later there were no rooms! Since we had to be in Salisbury on that particular weekend, we decided to go for the White Hart.

On arrival, first impressions are favourable. Lovely quaint little reception area and pleasant reception staff. We arrived just prior to a wedding party's arrival so we had the red carpet treatment! The hotel's secure car park is also a bonus and good value for money at £5 per night.

We were in room 116 which overlooked the hotel courtyard where functions take place. Again, on entering the room, first impressions were favourable. The room was a little on the dark side though due to the mass of ivy and other stuff growing across the windows. It needs to be cut back to allow light in. On closer inspection of the room we noticed the absolutely filthy carpet. I can only imagine that given the hotel's dog friendly status, that previous guests' dogs had gone swimming in the river and then dragged most of it back into the room. There can be no other explanation for such a dirty carpet. Apparently the hotel charges dog owners an additional £10 for cleansing of the room but £10 would not go far enough to clean this carpet which needs replacing. Our feet were black from walking barefoot on this carpet. In fairness, if we had realised the hotel was dog friendly, we would never have booked it. In our opinion hotels should not allow animals in guest bedrooms (unless they are guide/assistance dogs). It's actually really rather icky. The hotel don't have any checks in place to ensure that the dogs who will be in their rooms are worm and flea free (we asked). Sorry, but it's a massive turn off as we wouldn't allow a dog into our bedrooms at home yet we are expected to sleep in a bed that may well have had a dog sleeping on it the night before. Yuk, yuk, yuk!!! Rooms that had animals in them would need, to our mind, a proper deep clean and £10 would not cover that if it were to be done properly and professionally.

Bed - way too soft but that is personal preference, particularly when one is used to a memory foam mattress but in the grand scheme of things it was perfectly fine.

Quality of sleep - nothing to do with the soft mattress, everything to do with open sash window which we simply could not shut on the Friday night (we tried but were scared we'd end up breaking it!) and the fact that we were right next to the wedding party and the loud music went on until midnight. The windows have secondary glazing but even with that, the noise was terrible. We did speak to reception that evening and asked if we could possibly move the next day and were told we could but my husband was categorically told the following morning that we couldn't despite the fact that many guests were checking out and we could easily have been swapped over with one of the incoming Saturday wedding guests. However, the receptionist did get onto the maintenance man who came up immediately and with some sheer brute force, he shut the sash window. Alas closing the window didn't really help much and we did have the same noise that night (plus the constant barking from the Hound of the Baskervilles in the room across the corridor). Given that we had to be up early doors the next morning we didn't get as much sleep as we would have preferred as the guests continued to party on after the music finished. We fully appreciate that the hotel is a very popular wedding venue but why put non-wedding guests on that side of the hotel when guests attending the wedding are given rooms on the quieter side of the hotel? We could have had the Hound of the Baskerville's room (obviously without the hound) as his owners were having a right old time of it at the wedding whilst Hound suffered separation anxiety and barked constantly.

Breakfast - the young staff who waited on us in the breakfast room were all very polite, diligent and efficient. We appreciated how as soon as we had sat down, a member of waiting staff was straight over to ask whether we wanted tea or coffee. We've stayed in hotels where you could be sat at a table all day and you'd be ignored. The breakfast was lovely and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The breakfast room was really nice although we did notice that attention to detail viz a viz cleaning was a little hit and miss for a 4 star hotel:

• mirrors very smudgy and dusty
• brass kick plates on kitchen doors seriously long overdue the application of Brasso
• glass stands/boxes self serve fruit sitting on covered in drips, smears and finger marks (we only noticed this as we were sat at the table nearest to this food table)

We did have a very enjoyable time in Salisbury and it is a lovely city. If ever we had reason to go back to Salisbury, we probably wouldn't return to the White Hart as we don't think it quite lives up to its 4 star rating and because we don't want to pay to stay in room where the previous occupant had four legs.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the courtyard, especially if you are a weekend guest, as the music from the...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Prinny2017
Dear LindyLoop

Thank you for taking the time in letting us know about your weekend break with us recently at the White Hart in Salisbury.

I was pleased to read that the refurbished areas of the hotel at reception and lounge were appreciated and the great breakfast you enjoyed supplied by the catering department.

However I was disappointed to read your comments relating to the bedroom cleanliness and have shared these points with the housekeeping team as there is no excuse for this lack of attention to detail. You have my further assurances that the appropriate action will be taken to ensure no repetition of this in the future.

Like most hotels we are dog friendly and can apologise further for the noise from the dog in one of the rooms during your stay, where possible we allocate rooms accordingly when we have functions occurring and by room type requests and were unable to realocate you upon your request the following day.

Once again thank you for your feedback and still hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2012 via mobile

We booked via Expedia for an overnight stay. Despite its central location, it was easy to drive to the hotel. It has its own car park at the rear which costs 5 UKP per night, although when we were there the barrier was broken and permanently in the "open" position.

The hotel location couldn't be better - just across the road from the Cathedral and handy for the shops. For steak lovers, the Lazy Cow restaurant is particularly convenient, just a few doors down the road.

The hotel is an old building, but our room at the front was well equipped. It did get hot overnight - we had to shut the secondary double glazing to keep the street noise out. The chargeable wi-fi was a rip-off - who charges for wi-fi these days?

Breakfast was a pleasant surprise as Expedia had led us to expect continental. Instead we found the full works on offer from the usual heated buffet bar. Gluttons could easily stock up for the day.

Checking in and out was painless with generous time allowed (2pm and 12 noon respectively).

Recommended.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank jpmcc_ta
WhiteHartManager, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, 24 September 2012
Dear jpmcc_ta

Thank you for your review of the hotel in relation to both the service received and the location of the hotel in the centre of this historic city.

It is always pleasing to read such comments and will serve as great motivation for the team, I was also pleased to read that your experience at breakfast was above your expectation.

We hope to welcome you back to the White Hart in the future and provide you with a similar experience in the not too distant future.

Martyn Grubb
Food & Beverage Manager
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2012

If you want the hassle taken out of organising your wedding this is the place to go. Sarah Archer is the Wedding organiser and she is amazing. She put us at ease made sure everything happened the way we wanted it and took the pressure off us on the day to make sure everything went smoothly. The hotel is clean, the Breakfasts are superb with plenty of choice. All the rooms we had on the (14) day were comfortable and all our guests were very pleased. All the hotel staff were friendly and efficient and nothing was too much for anyone. We had the honeymoon suite which also opens on to the Balcony on to the road but it didnt matter as it was so comfortable.
The Hotel generally made us all feel very special for the day and so were they .

Room Tip: rooms at the front can be noisy as they are on the main road into Salisbury
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
WhiteHartManager, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, 18 September 2012
Dear Averil Smith,

Thank you for choosing the White Hart for your wedding and I was very pleased to read that we gave you, your family and friends a day to remember and memories to last.

Sarah, the wedding co-ordinator takes pride in her work ensuring that from the moment you walk in as an enquiry until the big day itself that nothing is too much trouble, and ensuring that the day runs smoothly, so that you can relax and enjoy the day as much as your guests.

I have shared your feedback with the rest of the team in relation to the professional manner they looked after you as well as delivering a comfortable nights stay and a superb breakfast offering for you and your guests, this will serve as great motivation to the whole team.

Once again thank you for choosing us, and I hope that we can be of service in the future.

Emma Kempson