“Not a real 4 star hotel”

Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
Lausanne
“Not a real 4 star hotel”
Reviewed 25 October 2012

We stayed here with our family. The hotel is a nice building but is maybe getting a bit run down. Still it does have some of the old-world charm in the reception area. The service however was very disappointing. It would have been funny if it was a scene from Fawlty Towers but alas the humor of John Cleese was absent! We had booked two connecting rooms and upon arrival asked if we could have a third one closely - since there were six of us. In a "Little Britain" style, the receptionist said there were no rooms available in that part of the hotel. So I asked where was the closest room, after some sighing and eye-rolling she looked at her computer screen and said "Oh the room 206 (or something like that) is available" so I said well where are the other rooms and she replied "205 and 204". So it started well. Then we asked if she could recommend a restaurant which was also good for kids she replied McDonald's, Burger King or Pizza Hut whereas there is an excellent steakhouse next door with a kids menu. The next morning we came downstairs at 9.32 and asked where was breakfast and she informed us it was too late that breakfast finished at 9.30! Our rooms were ok - with a delightful few on the car park, no air con (but generally you don't need it in the UK), tiny bathroom with a drip-drip shower. I would not recommend this hotel - especially not for the little britain service!

Room Tip: Maybe try a room that does not overlook the road or the car park
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank CeciliaLausanne
WhiteHartManager, General Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, 29 October 2012
Dear CeciliaLausanne

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us at the White Hart.

Firstly please allow me to apologise for the Receptionist in question and you have my personal assurances that this will be dealt with accordingly. We offer dining for children also and was further disappointed that this was not mentioned by the team member, and Salisbury has a wealth of restaurants both branded and private ventures all offering good food.

Once again thank you for letting us know about your stay and hope we have the opportunity in welcoming you back to Salsibury in the future.

Kind Regards

Mark Postlethwaite

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Tasmania
Reviewed 22 October 2012

I decided to only have 1 night in Salisbury, and also to walk from the station to the hotel. Silly me on both counts, as it started to rain and it wasn't in the least long enough. Reception was very quick and easy and the only problem with the room was a long walk to it. The room itself though was quiet, very clean and a double bed in a very spacious room, with a good bathroom.
It is a pretty decent walk from the station but even with the rain I found it interesting. Did not have meals at the hotel as there are many varied other establishments around that caught my eye. Checkout in the morning was efficiently quick. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank WartyTasmania
WhiteHartManager, General Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, 23 October 2012
Dear WartyTasmania

Thank you for taking the time in letting us know about your brief stay at the White Hart in Salisbury.

I was pleased to read that your stay was comfortable and that on both your arrival and departure that you were dealt with in an efficient manner by the reception team.

Thank you also for your kind words about the bedroom allocated as we have a great choice of offerings within the hotel, and was pleased to read that the room was spacious and clean.

Unfortunately I wish we could control the great British weather, however reading your comments I hope it did not inconvenience your stay too much and I hope that when you next visit you are able to stay that little bit longer.

Shrewsbury, Shropshire
Reviewed 16 October 2012

Relocated here as a result of an overbooking we thought we had really landed on our feet. The room was lovely and as others have said the food was very good too. Staff are pleasant but a lot of the younger team lack experience and there is little direction from management. The hotel is starting to appear neglected, dusting and cleaning are not up to spec for a 4 star and things we mentioned, such as a bulb out in the bathroom, were neglected.

One final warning - "The Music Box" is a club 250 yards down the road, and on Friday and Saturday it is deafening! If you are in a room that fronts the main street you WILL hear it. I spoke to local police at after midnight and they do not deal with these issues. Having spoken to hotel staff and asked that they do something in terms of getting a petition going I was politely ignored as I would be gone soon.

They need to get their act together!

Room Tip: Nothing fronting the main road - terribly noisy, especially at weekends
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
WhiteHartManager, General Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, 18 October 2012
Dear Pat19

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel, we are proud of the lovely appointed rooms and the food quality provided by the kitchen served by the pleasant team at the hotel.

However please accept my apologies for the lack of reaction regarding the maintenance, specifically the light bulb and have shared your comments with the Management team at the hotel to ensure that we action accordingly to prevent future occurrence.

Your comments relating to the Music Box have not been ignored and I can confirm that we are working together with local residents to resolve.

Once again thank you for your feedback and please do not hesitate to contact me direct if I can be of any further assistance.

Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2012

The White Hart Hotel was the only venue we looked at for our wedding on 28th September 2012. On meeting Sarah Acher we felt confident that our wedding was in safe hands and this was the right venue for our wedding breakfast & reception. With only 4 1/2 months to organize at no point did I feel stressed or that anything was too much trouble. Many visits with the mums friends and grandmother were always greeted with Sarah's professional and friendly service.
We had excellent service able to view rooms, tea & biscuits on visits, wedding tasting meal and the food on the day was outstanding. We had many guests (with and without children) who stayed all complimenting us on what an excellent choice of venue for our special day and service from staff. I wish I had made note of some of their names.
The flowers, table plans, master of ceremonies was all left in Sarah's hands and she came up trumps!
Thank you to everyone for making our day memorable and stress free.
Sarah & Paul Bailey (Mr & Mrs)

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Dear SarahlouB78

Thank you for your kind words when posting your review in complimenting both Sarah Archer and the hotel team in making your wedding day a day to remember.

We take pride in ensuring that from the moment of the initial enquiry until the big day itself that we offer a relaxed and professional service so that all the stress and strain of the organisation of such an important event are removed.

Your comments will serve as a great source of encouragement for the entire team to strive to provide great service to all of our customers.

Once again thank you for your kind words and we look forward in being of service in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2012

I would have ranked the Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel as "average" except for two very pleasant staff members, Megan and the kind woman with the long braid who served us breakfast (I am sorry, I have forgotten her name).

The room was decent (although the box spring was broken in one place) and clean. It was a comfortable space to rest our heads and unwind after visiting Stonehenge. And the breakfast was quite tasty and abundant. However, most of the staff was unfriendly, and quite frankly seemed unhappy in their jobs.

When we first arrived to leave our bags at around 11am on the morning of September 30th, the older woman with the dark hair did not want to help us. I had a question to ask and I said several times "Excuse me, excuse me?". She glanced at me, and then turned back away again, pretending that she had not seen me. When I finally said it again very loudly, she helped but it seemed like an imposition. I am not one to be paranoid, but I could not help but wonder if she was homophobic or racist or both. She was quite friendly to the white man before us, but my partner and I, an interracial same-sex couple, received far less friendly treatment (it was clear that we were a couple).

Another rude staff member was the woman with short-ish blonde hair who served breakfast and later tea and drinks on Monday October 1st. When my partner and I were using the Internet in the back hall together, I had to sit on the floor because there was only one chair. This was quite uncomfortable due to my bad back, so when she passed by I asked if there was a chair that I could possibly use. She looked very irritated and abruptly told me that no, there were only big chairs in the waiting room. I cannot believe that there is no smaller chair anywhere at all. Her attitude was very negative and unhelpful. I continued to sit on the floor, which is quite crazy to have to do in a nice hotel. I noticed that she was glum as well during breakfast. I used to work for a number of years in the service industry so I know it can be difficult. But you are never supposed to show that to customers. And in this economy, anyone with a steady job should be a bit more grateful.

The two standouts were Megan and the kind woman who helped us with breakfast. Megan was very cheerful, polite, and professional. Any question I had was answered thoroughly and with a smile. When I reported about the broken box spring, she was very attentive and apologetic. Her demeanor and attitude were consistently professional and pleasant. She looked quite young but she behaved very maturely. She seemed to enjoy her job. At breakfast, our kind server was very patient and helpful with my dietary restrictions (I have Coeliac disease). She made certain that I had a nice, safe breakfast. Not once did I feel like it was an imposition. I greatly appreciated that.

If all of the staff were as polite, professional, and helpful as these two women the Mercure White Hart would be a better hotel.

Better staff training is needed.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jamie M
WhiteHartManager, General Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, 11 October 2012
Dear Jamie M

Thank you for taking the time in letting us know about your stay with us at the White Hart in Salisbury.

I was very pleased to read your general comments about the hotel including the quality of breakfast as well as the great customer service provided by Megan and Andrea, the members of the team mentioned, as this is the service we strive to deliver and I have come to expect.

However I was concerned to read the comments regarding 2 more of our employees, as I take such feedback very seriously and will be investigating the specific comments relating to both employess and taking the appropriate action.

You have my personal assurances that we will be taking the necessary action to enable us to deliver more consistent standards in the future, however in the meantime if you wish to discuss further do not hesitate in contacting me direct at the hotel.

Kind Regards

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2012

We have stayed at The Mecure a few times before, so when we were planning a trip to Salisbury automatically booked this hotel. The room that we were given was so tiny and was classed as a Premier room. It was dusty and the inside of the bathroom door was filthy. There was a wedding that Saturday which I appreciate hotels do have, however, this one took over the entire hotel. I couldnt get in or out of the main door and trying to get to the stairs was hard work. If a hotel is going to hold weddings, perhaps it may be an idea not to hold them by the front door where guests are trying to get in and out. We stayed for 2 nights and on the second day housekeeping didnt give us any clean glasses and didnt really clean the room. Still dusty and still with a filthy bathroom door. In 2012 most hotels give you free wi fi but not his one and then as a leaving gesture we had to pay £10 for the car park. There is no way that this should be a 4 star hotel. Wont be staying here again thanks.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
WhiteHartManager, General Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, 9 October 2012
Dear Blackandwhitecats

Thank you for your feedback, however I was very disappointed that your stay was marred by the cleanliness of the hotel, and I take such feedback seriously.

These comments have been shared with the Housekeeping team and management at the hotel who wish to be associated with my apologies. We have a process of both self checking and supervision and will be personally overseeing this procedure over the coming weeks to ensure that the expected standards are met.

Once again thank you for your review and if possible ask that you contact me direct with the details of the room so that I may take the necessary action.