“Nice but expensive”

Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
Chester, United Kingdom
“Nice but expensive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

Single room, B&B cost £109. Room was a decent size for a single and the bed was very comfy. There is some traffic noise as you would expect from a city centre location but secondary double glazing has been fitted. This is an old building so no air con but a fan is provided. Staff very polite & helpful. Room very clean. Very nice bathroom. On the down side, had to wedge a piece of card in the door to stop it rattling in the wind (I had the window open) and some of the stair carpet is threadbare. Breakfast very good. Desk & chair not good for using a laptop.

Summary: a bit pricey bit I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
WhiteHartManager, General Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, 22 March 2014
Dear Drooper901

Thank you for choosing the Mercure Salisbury, White Hart Hotel and for taking the time in letting us know about your stay with us.

I have shared your positive review with the team especially relating to the very polite and helpful attitude with all of our guests and I am sure that this will continue to serve as great motivation and a reminder that all their hard work is appreciated.

I have noted your concerns regarding the door and have shared with the maintenance department to remedy and hope that this did not cause any inconvenience to your stay. Once again thank you for your review and hope that we have the opportunity in welcoming you back in the future.

Mark Postlethwaite, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Salisbury UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

My wife and I dine regularly at the Mecure Restaurant. We find the best time is Sunday evening when it is quiet and the service is excellent. The meals are consistently good and, with a Tastecard, we receive 50% off the bill.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Morgan712

Thank you for posting your review and for your loyalty of the Squires Restaurant at the Mercure Salisbury, White Hart.

I was very pleased to read that you continue to enjoy your visits on Sunday evenings and enjoy excellent service, and I hope that we will continue to be of service when dining out in the city.

Whitstable
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

Located in the centre of Salisbury, the White Hart Hotel is in a beautiful old building with a more modern wing at the back. It was a bit like the Curate's Egg, good - even excellent - in parts but not at all good in other parts.

The decor appeared a bit drab in places and could do with touch up, and in some of the corridors the floorboards creaked terribly: just a few screws would have resolved the problem. There were a few faults in my room which were reported to reception, but these were not rectified, even on a weekday.

The restaurant was a disaster. The atmosphere was bland and, while the hotel aims at a predominantly middle-aged middle class clientele, whenever I was in there, there was piped music of the kind one would expect to hear on Radio 1, aimed at young people under 25.

On the positive side the bar staff were always very helpful. It is a pity that they do not offer a real ale, but I was given a very logical explanation, and there are plenty of pubs in the vicinity offering real ale.

I wanted to check in early as I had to go out for the afternoon. Having telephoned a couple of days beforehand and been very courteously advised to ring in the morning of my arrival, I did so. The reply was that the receptionist would speak to the housekeeper and it should be possible to check in at the earlier time. When I got there, my room was ready.

There was reason to go to reception several times during my stay. Without exception, all the staff there were nothing short of excellent. For example, the TV remote control was not working properly: only a few minutes after I had returned to my room there was a knock on the door, and receptionist had a new one for me.

VERY POSITIVE: as soon as the general manager read my comments in the questionnaire I was sent after my departure, he sent me an e-mail asking for further details of my concerns. Clearly he takes the criticisms seriously as he e-mailed me later that day saying what action he was taking to deal with the problems.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Frank D
WhiteHartManager, General Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Dear Frank D

Thank you for taking the time to post your remarks following your recent stay with us at the Mercure Salisbury, White Hart Hotel.

I have shared your comments with the relevant staff members and I am sure this will serve as great motivation for the entire team, and reflects the attitude we have to customer care.

Once again we appreciate your comments and rest assured I will continue to monitor in the future and hope that we have the opportunity in welcoming you back to the hotel when next visiting Salisbury.

Truro, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

This was an evening with my 40 year-old son to visit old haunts in Salisbury, have a few beers and a meal out, therefore we did not eat in the hotel but did have a few drinks there. My room was clean, quite large, pleasant but a bit dark. The basin in the bathroom was very slow to clear and the bath hot water tap so slow that I ended up boiling the kettle a few times to get enough hot water for a bath. Breakfast was very good with an excellent choice. I found the staff very good, the bar and lounge area most pleasant for snacks, tea etc but the room disappointing. Overall I would say the hotel is average and a little overpriced.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Martin S
WhiteHartManager, General Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Martin S

Thank you for choosing the Mercure Salisbury, White Hart and for letting us know about your recent stay.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed a good breakfast with an excellent choice of food and that you were looked after well by the very good staff we employ.

However I have noted your concerns relating to the bathroom ameneties and will review with the maintenance team and remedy accordingly.

I hope we have the opportunity in welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next visiting the area.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

I have recently spent a night here and I found the room to be big, clean and cosy!

We asked if we could have a menu for the dinner than evening, When we arrived back at the hotel there was a menu placed on our bed!

The reception staff were very friendly and helpfull.

Only down side was the bed was slighty hard and not very long so my feet were of the edge.

Lauren Currey

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
WhiteHartManager, General Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Dear Lauren Currey

Thank you for choosing the Mercure Salisbury, White Hart Hotel and for letting us know about your stay.

I was pleased to read that the accommodation was clean and cosy and very happy to note that the Reception staff were very friendly and helpful throughout your stay and I am sure that this will serve as great motivation not only for them but for the entire team.

Once again thank you for your kind words and hope we have the opportunity in welcoming you back in the future.

Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

We stayed one night at the White Hart Hotel. The room was a decent size and very quiet. It was perfect for us since we were severely jet lagged. It is very well situated- an easy walk to Salisbury Cathedral and all the local shops. The hotel was very charming, but we felt a little out of place. We were celebrating our 30th birthdays and felt like the youngest people there by about 30 years. (Though we did see another younger couple checking in as we were leaving).

The staff were friendly and helpful and baggage storage after check-out was free.

The front door is a revolving door, it was a little difficult to get through the door with bags, if there's another door we never found it.

I would absolutely stay here again.

2 Thank singandstuff
Dear singandstuff

Thank you for choosing the Mercure Salisbury, White Hart for your Birthday celebrations and for taking the time in letting us know about your stay.

I was very pleased to read that the staff were friendly and helpful during your visit and that you would happily stay again with us.

Once again thank you for your kind words and we look forward in welcoming you back when next visiting the area.

london uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

I was sent here due to the hotel of my choice being fully booked. I read the reviews about the rooms being noisy and the hotel needing an update and hence i chose another hotel near by. The hotel does need a bit of modernisation but then it might lose some of its old fashioned charm. The staff were brilliant. I had no problems there. In fact, they might be at the top of my list of hotel staff. Very professional and eager to help. It was the creaky floor boards that kept us awake. The beds were comfortable and the rooms very clean. Tea and coffee in the rooms and we found an ironing board, iron and hair drier. Breakfast was very good, very good. The john smiths was up there with some of the best i have tasted in the country. Would i stay here again? Only if the problem of the creaky floor boards are fixed. We really did not sleep much because of the people in the room above us. To the staff a big thank you.

Room Tip: Good hotel all in all. Just watch out for the creaky floor boards