“Nice...but overpriced.”

Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
Reviewed 19 May 2014

On arrival from the Car Park the hotel looks quite grim, but walking through the rear garden and the newly decorated hall and reception creates a pleasant surprise. Reception staff very friendly, welcoming, and helpful! I think the hotel has recently been refurbished and it has a nice feel to it. rooms are a little small, and the beds are tiny. Our double bed was only a 4ft 6 which is the size of a standard single in most hotels these days. Room was well appointed and clean. unfortunately no air-conditioning and over a hot weekend the room was uncomfortably warm. Having all the windows open then subjected us to the all the very busy road noise, and people coming home from pubs & clubs to all hours. I know its rarely hot here and on a colder winters day the noise and heat would not be an issue, but its a consideration when booking. Breakfast was very average. Would I return? during winter....probably and I guess it would be cheaper too.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
WhiteHartManager, General Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Dear Nic L

Thank for choosing the Mercure Salisbury, White Hart Hotel and taking the time to let us know about your stay.

I was pleased to read that the Reception team were very friendly and helpful during your stay and that the recent refurbishment of the lobby carpet was appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the Winter months.

Mark Postlethwaite, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,026)

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Hotel is in an excellent position and the parking facility was good (extra payment). Very pleasant staff on reception, nice room and excellent breakfast. Overall a lovely stay and would book again. Just one small criticism - please change the pillows, they were thin and lumpy and having no protector under the pillowcase is just a no-no to me!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Neth2005

Dear ji 16480

Thank you for taking the time to post your remarks and for choosing the Mercure Salisbury, White Hart Hotel.

The hotel is ideally located in the heart of the city and I was pleased to read that this along with the on site car parking facility was appreciated.

I was further pleased to read that both the accommodation and breakfast were enjoyed during your visit and will be reviewing the pillows with the Housekeeping Department and address accordingly.

I hope we have the opportunity in welcoming you back in the future.

KInd Regards

Reviewed 10 May 2014

We enjoyed a very pleasant overnight stay at this hotel recently. The hotel is very clean and tidy. The staff and friendly, professional and helpful. The hotel has a very spacious lounge/bar area in the main reception in which to spend time. It has an excellent car park and although you have to pay £6 per day, this is good value and customers are allowed to leave cars after checking out for as long as needed for the day. Breakfast was mainly self service but was very good quality and there was a wide variety of hot and cold food available. We were in their standard double room and were surprised to be presented with a spacious room with four-poster bed. The room facilities were excellent with a free wifi, safe, fridge/minibar, tea/coffee making facilities, comfortable bed and great shower. We were extremely happy with our stay at the White Hart Hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dean H

Dear Dean H

Thank you for choosing the Mercure Salisbury, White Hart for your most recent stay in the area.

I was pleased to read that the hotel was everything you expected and that the staff were friendly, proffesional and helpful throughout your stay, I have shared this with the team and I am sure this will serve as great motivation for all the staff.

I was also pleased to note that the facilities at the hotel were appreciated including the complimentary WIFI and bedroom facilities and that the on site car park was utilsed whilst exploring the city.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future and been of service once again.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

We often stay here on company trips, and it is a little pearl of a hotel in the middle of Salisbury. The staff are always friendly and can't do enough for you. The breakfast is great, although I do miss the buffet. The rooms are comfortable and very clean, and I can recommend this to anyone traveling to Salisbury. I shall be back!

Room Tip: Most rooms on second floor are great
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Natasja S

Dear Natasja S

Thank you for choosing the Mercure Salisbury, White Hart Hotel for your business trips to the area and for your kind words.

I was pleased to read that the staff are always friendly when you stay and that you enjoy a great breakfast in the morning.

I am further gladdened that you will be returning in the future on your next business trip and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Booked through Hotels.com via Easyfundraisisng for the donation to charity ....BUT do hotels set aside pokey rooms for such reservations? I think they might.
A back bedroom, with a small window.
Room service errors. Firstly the woman on reception who took the orderwrong water, no glass, no condiments - but given a fair refund and DELICIOUS CHEESE FONDUE - compliments to the chef.
A long wait for a cooked breakfast - even if it is cooked to order, when there are only 3 or 4 tables surely it should arrive fairly quickly? The tomatoes were different from those in the picture and hardly cooked ... not an efficient kitchen that morning.
On checking out, however, we were overcharged by £32.00 with THREE errors. My partner admitted that if he'd checked out he wouldn't have noticed ... The receptionist corrected the error but intimated it was our fault in part - the Manager apologised and hoped we'd return. Not sure about that - except to eat the fondue.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Travelling_Trainers
WhiteHartManager, General Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Dear Travelling_Trainers

Thank you for taking the time in posting your remarks following your recent stay with us.

I was disappointed to read of your experience and you have my personal assurance that all the necessary steps are been taken to address your concerns, however I was pleased with the timely response to the issues with the room service by the Restaurant team.

During my investigation the additional charges were for breakfast which when booked with the front desk were carried over for the 2 nights of your stay, rather than the one taken. The car parking was added due to the car being registered with us and have requested that the Reception team confirm with guests when this is completed that the car is parked in our car park to prevent future concerns.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention and for your complimentary remarks about the fondue.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Stayed at this hotel for one night, having booked way back in February, to attend a concert at the City Hall & not have to worry about driving home afterwards!

What a lovely hotel - all the staff were friendly, helpful & efficient, there is a large car park at the rear, its easy to find & the room was clean & comfortable. There's also a very pleasant bar & lounge & a delightful garden.

Car parking costs £6 overnight (although I wasn't forewarned of this) but is worth it as the hotel is convenient for the City Hall, Railway Station etc.

Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Grasmi909

Dear Grasmi909

Thank you for choosing the Mercure Salisbury, White Hart Hotel and for taking the time in letting us know about your stay.

I was very pleased to read that the staff were friendly, helpful and efficient during your stay and that you found the accommodation to be both clean and comfortable.

We look forward in welcoming you back in the future when next attending a concert at City Hall or visiting Salisbury.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

After the last review I wrote about our bad experience with the christmas eve dinner. I had a response from the General Manager, and he kindly offered us a complimentary dinner for 4. We redeemed that at the end of March for my birthday, and what a difference....if it had been as good as that previously, I would have been a very happy bunny. We have eaten there a couple of times before and were pleased with it, and that is why we where so disappointed at christmas. Anyway, the food this time was very nice indeed, and the atmosphere in the restaurant....so much better. I would like to make a special mention to the waiter who looked after us, Alex, he was brilliant, helpful, attentive and a good sense of humour. Thank you

Lynne Brook

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Lynne B

Thank you for letting us know about your return to the hotel and for accepting the gesture following your previous experience at Christmas.

I was very pleased to read that you chose us to celebrate your birthday and that both the food and service was to the levels expected and experienced in the past. I was further pleased to note that Alex was worthy of mention and was both helpful and attentive, I have shared this with the team and I am sure will serve as great motivation for them all.

I hope we have restored your faith with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.