“Terrible Experience”

Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
Reviewed 25 June 2010

There is no way that I would reccommend this hotel to anyone. The price does not reflect the dated and dirty rooms. Beds and towels had not been changed from the previous stay. The staff were rude and dismissive and I had to ask for help getting my suitcase up the 2 flights of stairs to the second floor. There are no lifts to assit. Paint is coming off the walls and parts of the hallways are falling apart. Chairs in the rooms and in the hallways were dirty. Glasses in room had lipstick marks and dirty. No aircon to cool the rooms which became so hot they were unlivable. I would reccommend the City Lodge which was less that half the price but was very clean and bathroom was twice the size of the Mercure.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank LJMENZIES
WhiteHartManager, General Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2010

I’m sorry we failed to live up to your expectations. The team and I at Mercure White Hart in Salisbury appreciate your feedback, though, and we are addressing the issues. I think most issues have been dealt with through direct correspondance with you previously and during your stay, however, if there is anything further you wish to discuss please feel free to call me on 01722 327 476 or email me on h6616-gm@accor.com to discuss further. Kind regards, Olivia O'Sullivan, General Manager

Reviewed 25 April 2010

Stayed for the one night whilst visiting friends in Salisbury. A huge plus side was the secure car park attached to the hotel. Salisbury is a really expensive place to park the car and a hotel car park is worth at least £10 a day. The reception staff were friendly and efficient. The bedroom was totally amazing and the bed was so comfortable. The best night's sleep we have had in ages! Decor was fresh, modern and clean as was the bathroom. The hotel bar prices were average for a hotel of this standard. We only booked for B&B but the breakfast was one of the best we have eaten. Coffee and fruitjuice could have been better but that is only a small criticism. The waiting staff could not have been more helpful. This hotel is convieniently placed for shopping in Salisbury. Minutes away from the centre but without the noise of most cities. We will be returning to Salisbury and this is the hotel we will be staying at again.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple

I’m very grateful that you could take time to leave us your thoughts and write a review. I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, I have shared your comments with the team and since your stay we have changed our coffee and orange juice offering. We hope to see you again in the very near future. Kind regards, Olivia O'Sullivan.

Reviewed 10 April 2010

Stayed at the White Hart Hotel last night (09-4.-2010) with my husband as we wanted to visit Salisbury. Easy to park at hotel. We were upgraded to a suite with 4 poster bed overlooking main street. The room was brilliant, well furnished and very clean. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The food was brillaint, well presented with a good selection of dishes to choose from. I would definatley return to the hotel. I enjoyed Salisbury, lots to see, the Cathedral was well worth a visit.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 March 2010

Salisbury is an attractive English county town with a great history. The White Hart is one of two traditional hotels in the centre and is particularly handy for the Cathedral, which the rooms at the front overlook. These old rooms are now rather shabby, and in the case of ours, not up to standards of modern hotel-keeping (problems with bathroom space and fittings, cleanliness, TV quality) . I wonder how long it will take them to find where I wrote 'clean me' in the dust! Good breakfast including eggs benedict and smoked haddock; weak coffee. Good reception and check-out. Good bed but did find a hole in the sheet, so the problems seem to be confined to housekeeping.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel
1  Thank loungelizard18

Many thanks for your comments. We appreciate all feedback and are glad you enjoyed your stay. I have looked into the points you raised personally, since your comments, we have upgraded all TV's to flat screen, we have also rewired the hotel so our TV reception is exceptional now. All the rooms on the second floor are currently going through soft refurbishment. I hope we can welcome you back to the Mercure White Hart in Salisbury very soon. Kind regards, Olivia O'Sullivan

Reviewed 21 February 2010

This was my second visit to The White Hart. I went with my friend to celebrate my belated Birthday. We had a fabulous weekend in this hotel, it is has a great atmosphere with a beautiful log fire burning in the reception area. The rooms are clean, well decorated and the beds are very comfortable. The breakfast is self service but excellent and the staff are friendly and very helpful. We will definately be returning next year.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 January 2010

This was our second visit to this hotel and we took advantage of the great value two day package which included breakfasts and evening meals. The hotel looked beautiful with festive decoration and open log fires. We had a lovely big room at the front of the hotel which had a four poster bed and great size bathroom. Great evening meal which seemed to be followed immediately by a huge breakfast with all anyone could possible want. Then we hit the shops which are a short stroll away - taking advantage of the sales and then getting back loaded with shopping to slump in a comfortable sofa near to the fire with drinks brought to our table. Bliss. We had another lovely evening meal but didn't take advantage of the festive disco as it was absolutely packed and very hot so we had a few drinks in the bar before and after a bracing walk around Salisbury to see the nightlights. Another huge breakfast, then home and back to reality.

• Stayed: December 2009
Reviewed 2 January 2010

I was a little apprehensive due to the low price of 69 pounds and the fact that it is part of a chain, but as soon as I walked in, I felt comfortable, relaxed and reassured. The staff were helpful and friendly, the reception area had comfortable seating and was like a cosy living room. The coffee came with big, quality biscuits. The hotel was warm and cosy and pleasantly decorated. Having stayed in many hotels, it was a bargain at that price. The room was plenty big enough and nicely furnished. Bed comfortable and furniture good. The TV was a bit old, but I didn't really mind. The toiletries were a bit crappy, but the towels were gorgeously thick and plush. Breakfast was included and was of a very decent standard. Quality sausages, hot food was served hot and the staff were very attentive, prompt and helpful. There was plenty of everything and we were more than satisfied. Parking was also included and the location was very convenient for shops, cinema, restaurants and the cathedral. Would definitely choose to stay here should I ever return to Salisbury. Very nicely done and very reasonably priced. Minor grumble that the bar didn't serve simple cocktails e.g. mojitos.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple