“You have to stay here, even if for one night.”

Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
Reviewed 12 August 2010

We stayed here while visiting Salisbury and Stonehenge, and would definitely go back time and again. The building is old, lovingly kept up and modernized. A grand hotel in a grand tradition. Everyone was friendly, helpful and made sure that we were comfortable. Breakfast was included and it was plentiful and fresh. Quite affordable even in these belt-tightening times. A must if you're in the area.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
WhiteHartManager, General Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2010

Many thanks for the positive comments, I’m delighted we were able to make your stay with us so enjoyable. I hope we can welcome you back to the Mercure Salisbury White Hart again very soon. Kind regards, Olivia O'Sullivan, General Manager

Reviewed 25 July 2010

There's a letter from Charles Dickens posted outside the restaurant. He was writing to his wife from the White Hart and while he doesn't mention any problems, things have clearly become worse over the last 150+ years.

I arrived on a Sunday afternoon to learn that my room was not ready. I was told "it shall be ready in 15 minutes, they are working on it now" no less than 3 times over the course of an hour and a half. I gave up, checked my bags and went for a walk and some dinner. When I returned four or five hours later, my room was finally ready.

The room was extremely small by US standards - this was not unexpected given the age of the property. What was not expected nor appreciated was the the A/C unit that failed for the entire first floor on the first night. When a colleague and I both complained, we were told that no one was available to fix it until the following day. Without A/C, I was compelled to leave the window open - this might have been OK if it were not July. The open window let in a nice breeze, but it also led to be awakened by a bit of street theater around 1AM. I listened as an inebriated woman shouted at her boyfriend while he pleaded with her to "be reasonable". To be sure, it had some entertainment value - but certainly less so at such an obscene hour.

The A/C unit was fixed as promised, but this did nothing for the bed. It remained lumpy and uncomfortable throughout the stay.

WiFi service in the hotel (which was slow and intermittent) is an astonishing 14GBP per day, or 7 GBP for two hours. Wired service does not exist. The staff at the front desk was also astonishing in their inability to accomplish simple tasks - my wife called from the US and after 3 or 4 attempts someone finally answered the phone. When she asked to be transferred to my room, she was told to call back because the person who answered didn't know how to do that.

The food in the restaurant (I had breakfast each morning) was a singular bright spot - the service was quick and cheery and the food was good. Maybe that's the part that Dickens liked.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank gcmanke2
WhiteHartManager, General Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2010

I’m so sorry that you were disappointed by your experience staying with us at Mercure Salisbury White Hart. The bedroom you stayed in was a single room and has been completely refurbished last year. I appreciate the feedback and rest assured that we take all comments very seriously. We are looking into the matter, but feel free to contact me on 01722327476 or email me on h6616-gm@accor.com to discuss this further. I'm delighted you enjoyed breakfast and will pass your comments onto the team. Kind regards, Olivia O'Sullivan.

Reviewed 20 July 2010

Stayed here for 3 nights last weekend. The rooms are tired and bathroom small with a shower over the bath and no thermostat. Husband managed to burn his back when turning the shower off. As he pointed out, it could have been a child. Breakfast was average at best and as we had a room only rate, we ate breakfast out on our second and third morning.

On the plus side, the staff were friendly and helpful and the bed was amazing. Large, comfortable and hard to leave! The location is also great, a short walk to the centre of the city and several bars & restaurants even nearer

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for the review. I am disappointed to hear about the thermostat but would welcome further information on this so I can ensure that it is corrected immediately. We always welcome feedback and my team and I are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Mercure White Hart in Salisbury. Contact me at any time on 01722 327 476 or email me at h6616-gm@accor.com if you’d like to discuss things further. I hope we can be part of your future travel plans. Kind regards, Olivia O'Sullivan

Reviewed 19 July 2010

This is a pleasant and historical hotel which is only a few steps to the gate which leads to Salisbury Cathedral and equally only a few steps to city centre shopping and restaurants. There is a secure car park to the back of the hotel which hotel guests must pay for but is very reasonable. The hotel doesn't have a lift which is a disadvantage (it's a listed building which must have prevented the installation of a lift) but a member of staff cheerfully took my case up to the 2nd floor. Beautiful quiet courtyard garden which was a nice oasis when the streets were very busy with tourists.

Nice room although some might want to request a quieter room at the back - ask in advance. No air-conditioning but a quiet and effective fan was available and kept the room very comfortable on a hot night. Very comfortable bed. The room was only let down by the tiles in the bathroom - the floor and wall tiles really needed replacing as the grouting was discouloured with use. Not the standard you'd expect in this quality of hotel. Perhaps the bathroom is already on a to-do list for refurbishment....

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your thoughts on here. I’m glad you enjoyed your visit, and I hope we can welcome you back to Mercure White Hart in Salisbury very soon. With regards to the bathroom, you are exactly right. We have hired a painter and decorator specifically this year to carry on with our ongoing refurbishement plan and your bathroom is on his list. Contact me at any time on 01722 327 476 or email me at h6616-gm@accor.com if you’d like to discuss things further. Kind regards, Olivia O'Sullivan

Reviewed 30 June 2010

I have just read the review from LJMenzis and could not disagree more! Please do not let this deter you from booking the White Hart.

We had not booked accommodation and arrived late afternoon with nowhere to stay. Opted for the White Hart mainly because it was central and generally you can't go far wrong with a Mercure. Well, were we pleased with our choice!

We were offered a significant discount on the tariff and had a superb. very, very spacious room with a wonderfully comfortable king size bed. The whole room was squeaky clean and crisp cotton bedding was very welcoming. Our room had the usual facilities including additional sofa, coffee table, big screen TV, desk etc. The bathroom was much more than adequate with quality toiletries and a good powerful shower. The floor was a bit uneven, sloping in places, but then what do you expect from an almost 400 year old building!

The White Hart is a very historical building dating back to the 17th century and packed full of interesting features. The only problem we found was that our room was on the 2nd floor and as this is a listed building, with strict regulations, there is no lift. But, this was not a problem because our bags were taken up for us.

Breakfast was very good indeed. Plenty of choice, excellent service and nothing was too much trouble.

We will most definitely be back.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pauline53
WhiteHartManager, General Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2010

Many thanks for the positive comments, I’m happy we were able to make your stay with us so enjoyable. I hope we can welcome you back to the Mercure Salisbury White Hart again very soon. Kind regards, Olivia O'Sullivan

Reviewed 25 June 2010

There is no way that I would reccommend this hotel to anyone. The price does not reflect the dated and dirty rooms. Beds and towels had not been changed from the previous stay. The staff were rude and dismissive and I had to ask for help getting my suitcase up the 2 flights of stairs to the second floor. There are no lifts to assit. Paint is coming off the walls and parts of the hallways are falling apart. Chairs in the rooms and in the hallways were dirty. Glasses in room had lipstick marks and dirty. No aircon to cool the rooms which became so hot they were unlivable. I would reccommend the City Lodge which was less that half the price but was very clean and bathroom was twice the size of the Mercure.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank LJMENZIES

I’m sorry we failed to live up to your expectations. The team and I at Mercure White Hart in Salisbury appreciate your feedback, though, and we are addressing the issues. I think most issues have been dealt with through direct correspondance with you previously and during your stay, however, if there is anything further you wish to discuss please feel free to call me on 01722 327 476 or email me on h6616-gm@accor.com to discuss further. Kind regards, Olivia O'Sullivan, General Manager

Reviewed 25 April 2010

Stayed for the one night whilst visiting friends in Salisbury. A huge plus side was the secure car park attached to the hotel. Salisbury is a really expensive place to park the car and a hotel car park is worth at least £10 a day. The reception staff were friendly and efficient. The bedroom was totally amazing and the bed was so comfortable. The best night's sleep we have had in ages! Decor was fresh, modern and clean as was the bathroom. The hotel bar prices were average for a hotel of this standard. We only booked for B&B but the breakfast was one of the best we have eaten. Coffee and fruitjuice could have been better but that is only a small criticism. The waiting staff could not have been more helpful. This hotel is convieniently placed for shopping in Salisbury. Minutes away from the centre but without the noise of most cities. We will be returning to Salisbury and this is the hotel we will be staying at again.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple

I’m very grateful that you could take time to leave us your thoughts and write a review. I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, I have shared your comments with the team and since your stay we have changed our coffee and orange juice offering. We hope to see you again in the very near future. Kind regards, Olivia O'Sullivan.