“Excellent Hotel with great staff”

Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
Telford
“Excellent Hotel with great staff”
Reviewed 12 September 2010

This was my third stay at the White Hart and once again it was very good , the location cannot be beaten , the rooms are large and comfortable with excellent amenities this combined with on site car parking makes for a great stay.
On my prevoius stays I have always found the staff to be friendly and polite and once again this proved to be the case , from reception to housekeeping nothing seems to be to much trouble.

• Stayed September 2010
WhiteHartManager, General Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, 16 September 2010
I’m very grateful that you could take time to leave us your thoughts and write a review. My team and I very much appreciate your kind words, and we’re glad to have been a part of your visit. Kind regards, Olivia O'Sullivan, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed 23 August 2010

The hotel was conveniently located and the rooms were very modern and well kept. Our only real complaint was that the noise level from all of the motorcycles, cars, and trucks passing by at all hours was ghastly. The windows are double paned, but it doesn't do much good. We found ourselves having to sleep with pillows over our heads. Needless to say when you roll over or change your position during sleep you are awoken again and again by noise as the pillow falls off the top of your head. When we asked to be moved to an interior room we were told there were none available. Word to the wise, book an interior room or be prepared to wear ear plugs and pillows all night.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for taking the time to comment. We appreciate all feedback. Due to our excellent location in the centre of the city some of our front facing rooms can be noisy. We are currently fitting and testing secondary glazing in these rooms which we hope will add to our guests comfort. If you’d like to talk about the matter further, please feel free to call me on 01722 327476 or email me on h6616-gm@accor.com. Kind regards, Olivia O'Sullivan, General Manager
Uppingham, Rutland, UK
Reviewed 16 August 2010

We stayed here on a Thursday night with friends and family after Salisbury races. The rooms were clean and comfortable, the bed reasonably sized and comfy and the linens and towels were white and crisp. The hotel was quiet and a lacking in atmosphere but perfect for our needs. You could say it was a little shabby and rough around the edges but in the main the fundamentals were there and we slept well. Breakfast was OK. Presentation of my poached eggs was a little lacking (swimming in water in the middle of a plate with black vinegar attached to the side), but they tasted nice and the service was efficient and friendly. Coffee was good in the bar with a lovely homemade biscuit and again good efficient service.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
New Jersey
Reviewed 12 August 2010

We stayed here while visiting Salisbury and Stonehenge, and would definitely go back time and again. The building is old, lovingly kept up and modernized. A grand hotel in a grand tradition. Everyone was friendly, helpful and made sure that we were comfortable. Breakfast was included and it was plentiful and fresh. Quite affordable even in these belt-tightening times. A must if you're in the area.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for the positive comments, I’m delighted we were able to make your stay with us so enjoyable. I hope we can welcome you back to the Mercure Salisbury White Hart again very soon. Kind regards, Olivia O'Sullivan, General Manager
Bedford, Indiana
Reviewed 25 July 2010

There's a letter from Charles Dickens posted outside the restaurant. He was writing to his wife from the White Hart and while he doesn't mention any problems, things have clearly become worse over the last 150+ years.

I arrived on a Sunday afternoon to learn that my room was not ready. I was told "it shall be ready in 15 minutes, they are working on it now" no less than 3 times over the course of an hour and a half. I gave up, checked my bags and went for a walk and some dinner. When I returned four or five hours later, my room was finally ready.

The room was extremely small by US standards - this was not unexpected given the age of the property. What was not expected nor appreciated was the the A/C unit that failed for the entire first floor on the first night. When a colleague and I both complained, we were told that no one was available to fix it until the following day. Without A/C, I was compelled to leave the window open - this might have been OK if it were not July. The open window let in a nice breeze, but it also led to be awakened by a bit of street theater around 1AM. I listened as an inebriated woman shouted at her boyfriend while he pleaded with her to "be reasonable". To be sure, it had some entertainment value - but certainly less so at such an obscene hour.

The A/C unit was fixed as promised, but this did nothing for the bed. It remained lumpy and uncomfortable throughout the stay.

WiFi service in the hotel (which was slow and intermittent) is an astonishing 14GBP per day, or 7 GBP for two hours. Wired service does not exist. The staff at the front desk was also astonishing in their inability to accomplish simple tasks - my wife called from the US and after 3 or 4 attempts someone finally answered the phone. When she asked to be transferred to my room, she was told to call back because the person who answered didn't know how to do that.

The food in the restaurant (I had breakfast each morning) was a singular bright spot - the service was quick and cheery and the food was good. Maybe that's the part that Dickens liked.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank gcmanke2
WhiteHartManager, General Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2010
I’m so sorry that you were disappointed by your experience staying with us at Mercure Salisbury White Hart. The bedroom you stayed in was a single room and has been completely refurbished last year. I appreciate the feedback and rest assured that we take all comments very seriously. We are looking into the matter, but feel free to contact me on 01722327476 or email me on h6616-gm@accor.com to discuss this further. I'm delighted you enjoyed breakfast and will pass your comments onto the team. Kind regards, Olivia O'Sullivan.
Merseyside
Reviewed 20 July 2010

Stayed here for 3 nights last weekend. The rooms are tired and bathroom small with a shower over the bath and no thermostat. Husband managed to burn his back when turning the shower off. As he pointed out, it could have been a child. Breakfast was average at best and as we had a room only rate, we ate breakfast out on our second and third morning.

On the plus side, the staff were friendly and helpful and the bed was amazing. Large, comfortable and hard to leave! The location is also great, a short walk to the centre of the city and several bars & restaurants even nearer

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for the review. I am disappointed to hear about the thermostat but would welcome further information on this so I can ensure that it is corrected immediately. We always welcome feedback and my team and I are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Mercure White Hart in Salisbury. Contact me at any time on 01722 327 476 or email me at h6616-gm@accor.com if you’d like to discuss things further. I hope we can be part of your future travel plans. Kind regards, Olivia O'Sullivan
liverpool
Reviewed 19 July 2010

This is a pleasant and historical hotel which is only a few steps to the gate which leads to Salisbury Cathedral and equally only a few steps to city centre shopping and restaurants. There is a secure car park to the back of the hotel which hotel guests must pay for but is very reasonable. The hotel doesn't have a lift which is a disadvantage (it's a listed building which must have prevented the installation of a lift) but a member of staff cheerfully took my case up to the 2nd floor. Beautiful quiet courtyard garden which was a nice oasis when the streets were very busy with tourists.

Nice room although some might want to request a quieter room at the back - ask in advance. No air-conditioning but a quiet and effective fan was available and kept the room very comfortable on a hot night. Very comfortable bed. The room was only let down by the tiles in the bathroom - the floor and wall tiles really needed replacing as the grouting was discouloured with use. Not the standard you'd expect in this quality of hotel. Perhaps the bathroom is already on a to-do list for refurbishment....

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your thoughts on here. I’m glad you enjoyed your visit, and I hope we can welcome you back to Mercure White Hart in Salisbury very soon. With regards to the bathroom, you are exactly right. We have hired a painter and decorator specifically this year to carry on with our ongoing refurbishement plan and your bathroom is on his list. Contact me at any time on 01722 327 476 or email me at h6616-gm@accor.com if you’d like to discuss things further. Kind regards, Olivia O'Sullivan