“A very enjoyable week-end”

Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
Reviewed 10 October 2010

We found this a very nice, friendly hotel. The allocation of rooms was a bit chaotic, and Reception needs tighter management, but we were a fairly large party of friends, and I have no doubt it would be better for individual clents. The breakfasts were the best Hotel breakfasts I have experienced in England, with an excellent selection of fruit juices and fruit, delicious sausages, very good potato rosti, and quite the best croissants I have had outside France. The Beef and Pork Tenderloin at dinner were very tender and had excellent flavour, and the Fruit Salad was the prettiest I have ever seen.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
WhiteHartManager, General Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2010

Many thanks for posting your comments. We appreciate all feedback and the team and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Salisbury White Hart. Kind regards, Olivia O'Sullivan

Reviewed 5 October 2010

I stayed at the Mercure White Hart for 4 nights at the end of September, with my mum and my 3 young children. We had chosen this hotel as it was about central to the attractions we wanted to visit in Wiltshire, and it is a hotel that the company my mum works for uses for their clients, and was recommended.

Upon arrival check in was quick and easy, receptionist was very friendly and we were offered help to our rooms with the bags. I was a little disappointed that our rooms were on the top floor, and seemed to be the furthest possible from the hotel entrance - I thought maybe because of having one toddler, and one baby they may have considered giving a room closer to the hotels amenities, especially as there is no lift, however we just about managed!

The rooms themselves were a nice size, clean, nicely decorated and the cots beds we requested were ready and waiting as promised. The TV had several satelite channels, a mini fridge stocked with goodies, the bed was very comfy and the tea/coffee/hot chocolate supplies were re-stocked daily. The one issue I did have, is that I wasnt able to turn the heater down or off in my room, and it was a little warm upon arrival, however I asked at reception, and was told as soon as the maintenance man was in the next morning, it would be resolved, and sure enough, it was when I returned from breakfast.

Now to the breakfasts - simply fantastic! Lots of choice, plenty of food, very tasty and the service is great. Each morning we were greeted straight away, provided with 2 highchairs, shown to a table and then had tea, coffee and toast brought to us. They provide a selection of cereals, fresh fruit, cheese, yoghurts, rolls, croissants and the usual hot food you would find in a full english. It was all delicious, we all thoroughly enjoyed it.

We didnt use the hotel restaurant for an evening meal, so I cant comment on the quality, however the menu looked rather nice. Same can be said for the room service, although again, I didnt use that personally.

Only other downside, is that to use the hotel parking, you have to pay £5 a day, and this is something I havent had to pay for at other hotels. Location wise, the hotel is in a great place, it only takes 5 minutes to walk right into the town centre, where I highly recommend visiting the Salisbury Chocolate Bar and Patisserie!

All in all, I would definately consider returning to this hotel if we were visiting the area again, we had a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
WhiteHartManager, General Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2010

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your thoughts on here. I have shared your comments with the team who value all feedback especially positive. I’m glad you enjoyed your visit, and I hope we can welcome you back to theMercure Salisbury White Hart very soon. Kind regards, Olivia O'Sullivan

Reviewed 3 October 2010

Squires Restaurant for Sunday lunch? Give it a miss! Lovely setting, disappointing lack of main course choices, not at all well cooked and only mediocre warm. We won't be eating there again.

I would recommend the hotel but certainly not the restaurant.

Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
WhiteHartManager, General Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2010

I’m very grateful that you could take time to leave us your thoughts and write a review. Disappointing to see your comments regarding lunch. We generally run Carvery at lunchtime in our restaurant with full A La Carte in our lounge. We can of course offer the A La Carte in the restaurant if the choices are not suitable for your party. The Chef chooses to cook the red meat medium and if our guests would rather it well done we can always accommodate. Contact me at any time on 01722 327476 or email me at h6616-gm@accor.com if you’d like to discuss things further. I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope to see you again in the very near future. Kind regards, Olivia O'Sullivan

Reviewed 3 October 2010

Travelled with a small group of friends visiting the Salisbury area - a delightful city and stayed at the White Hart. The hotel staff seem a bit disorganised - reception was not that helpful. Two couples in the group were assured they had Executive rooms which they had paid extra - then found out they weren't. We hd an exec room, but quite frankly prob not worth the extra we paid for it. Yes it had a fourposter bed - but so what - would have much preferred a larger bed and no four posts. Hopefully the days of having a canopy over the bed to stop the bugs falling on you are long past! One evening ordered sandwiches for the group after visiting the local theatre - but they never materialised despite reception being checked with before we went out. Exorbitant wifi charges and also car park fees. Breakfast mixed - in theory a good buffet or a la carte but they seem to run out of things rather early. Food fair otherwise but can be pricey. Has nice potential - could prob be the best hotel in Salisbury with tighter management, but isn't!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends

I’m so sorry that you were disappointed by your experience staying with us at Mercure Salisbury White Hart. Our executive rooms carry a £20 additional charge per night, for this you get upgraded amenities in the bathroom, a large room which is either a four poster or Queen size bed, complimentary water and bathrobes and slippers. Our executive rooms generally are more spacious and comfortable than standard rooms. We have photos of our rooms on most websites. I appreciate the feedback and rest assured that we take all comments very seriously. We are looking into the your other comments, but feel free to contact me on 01722 327476 or email me on h6616-gm@accor.com to discuss this further. Kind regards, Olivia O'Sullivan

Reviewed 26 September 2010

The hotel is a beautiful old building with a lovely garden at the back which leads you through to the hotel rear entrance. The receptionist was friendly and helpful on arrival. Our room was very clean and well furnished. Unfortunately we only had a view over the back of the building but as we were only there a couple of nights it did not really matter. The bathroom was spotless and had a good selection of nice cosmetics. It was a little small but again this did not matter for our stay. The room had air conditioning and a small flat screen tv. It was quiet, peaceful and comfortable. The breakfasts were excellent with a good range of cooked and cold food. The service was very good. The hotel bar was very quiet and did not have much atmosphere but we were there mid week and only stayed in the bar area for one drink before going to bed. Salisbury is a lovely city with many bars and resturants to discover so we did not eat any evening meals at the hotel. The staff throughout our stay were friendly and helpful. we would definately stay again.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple

My team and I very much appreciate your kind words, and we’re glad to have been a part of your visit. . We look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Salisbury White Hart . Kind regards, Olivia O'Sullivan

Reviewed 14 September 2010

I stayed overnight in the Mercure White Hart Salisbury. The room was a little little bit small and pokey, but OK. The cooked breakfast was fine, but the remainder of the breakfast buffet was a wee bit uninspiring. Overall, the hotel was OK.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank ColonialDavid
WhiteHartManager, General Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2010

Many thanks for your comments. We appreciate all feedback. All of our rooms are different shapes and sizes due to the fact that it is a 17th century building. In the meantime, I hope we can welcome you back to the Mercure Salisbury White Hart very soon. If there is anything further I can help you with please feel free to contact me on 01722 327476 or by email h6616-gm@accor.com. Kind regards, Olivia O'Sullivan, General Manager

Reviewed 12 September 2010

I've stayed at the White Hart several times as it is conveniently located if you're going out for the night in Salisbury. I'd say it was one of the better hotels in Salisbury, although unfortunately I was rather disappointed with my most recent stay.

Overall, the hotel rooms are clean and comfortable, and the staff helpful. However, the breakfast is pretty average. What has now deterred me from staying there again in future was that we ordered room service breakfast during our latest stay, and it turned up late and with some items missing. What was worse though, was instead of my vegetarian sausages, I had been given pork sausages. I was on the verge of eating one when thankfully I realised it didn't smell right. I was also disappointed to see that the hotel now charges for parking whereas it used to be free.

You can get some good deals for the White Hart, and it's definitely in a good location. However, I would say it's a good 3 star rather than a 4 star, and I'd recommend choosing your own breakfast!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank clairerose1977

I’m so sorry that you were disappointed by your experience staying with us at Mercure Salisbury White Hart. I have spoken to the team regarding your experience with breakfast and highlighted your comments. I appreciate the feedback and rest assured that we take all comments very seriously. I would hate to think that this would prevent you from staying with us in future. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel at 01722 327476 or email me directly on h6616-gm@accor.com to discuss this further. Kind regards and sincere apologies, Olivia O'Sullivan, General Manager.