“no room at the inn”

Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
Sussex
“no room at the inn”
Reviewed 9 April 2008

Unable to write a review about the accomodation, at the Rose and Corwn, it may have been good, bad or indifferent, but I will never know .

Between them, Expedia and the Rose and Crown managed to loose my booking ...... just what you want to hear after 2 hours on the M27

All I would say is the renovations are still underway - dirty great skip in the car park entrance building rubbish piled up out side and in. The reception consisted of a tiny over loaded table in the hall, no wonder they lost my booking - chaos.

To his credit the chap on reception phoned round the local hotels to get us a room - we ended up at the Grasmere Hotel - ok if you are 90+ and want to die in a shrouded room laying in a hideous four poster bed - but thats a different review I just can't be bother to write.

There's no place like home...

• Liked — ?? no chance to find out
  • Disliked — the lack of it
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank babyeaglechick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
LONDON, UK
Reviewed 21 March 2008

I was booked in to the Rose and Crown as my hotel of choice was full. I can't remember the last time that I was so shocked and angry at the state of a hotel or the service received.

The Hotel was in the midst of being refurbished. By the time YOU stay here it will be finished and looking very pleasant. I stayed while the work was going on.

The hotel said during booking that "the room was being refurbished" but neglected to mention that there would be significant disruption due to works.

The corridors were full of bits of carpet, tools, builders, decorators, desks and so on. The morning and afternoon trip in and out of my room was a veritable obstacle course of trip hazards.

Due to the carpet laying and painting, the hotel reeked of solvents, leaving me with a sore throat and headache.

In fairness, the room I was allocated had been refurbished, and to quite a high standard. It was on the ground floor with a door leading on to the garden. You could stand on the doorstep, and observe the blizzard of cigarette butts that had been deposited there, while viewing the sublime view of the catherdral and the river.

Personally, I think the rooms were pleasant and simple. However, given the historical exterior of the hotel, some of the rooms lack any history or character and could (apart from the view) be a modern, minimal hotel anywhere. However, they are clean and well proportioned.

At the time there were still some teething problems - TV not tuned properly, sink wouldn't drain, cold tap gave hot water... but these are small problems.

The bigger problem was that, given the level of works going on, the hotel shouldn't have been letting rooms. But - probably on the direction of head office - they had decided to anyway, and because of the amount of work, it was fairly unpleasant.

I spoke to the manager after my second day there, who asserted that the hotel was in a fine state to let rooms, that as a guest I was paying for the room, not the corridors, that the state they were in was acceptable and safe, that nothing in the hotel was unsafe or hazardrous, that the rooms were lovely, and at this stage couldn't have been less helpful. This disucssion was punctuated by asides from one of the decorators, who asserted that it was all safe, that it was up to guests to look out for hazards, and that it wasn't there responsibilty to warn guests of hazards such as a corridor covered in carpet glue!

For what it's worth, the breakfast was not very nice, the evening meal was really not very nice and the the whole experience was depressing.

Having had enough, I moved to another hotel.

It will be lovely there when the works are done, but thanks to this experience I personally will NEVER stay at this hotel again.

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — the building works
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank MollyZero
UK
Reviewed 29 January 2008

I was booked in here for a single night stay by my company as my preferred hotel was full.
I arrived around 9pm having worked all day & having had a 3.5 hr drive south to get here. After a long walk from the car to the room, I finally found the entrance to reception (why on earth is it not better signposted - it's on the side not the front!)
Reception was pleasant and they had my reservation so I trekked the corridors to my room, dumped my bags & headed back downstairs for some dinner.
Hmm ... apparently the restaurant closes at 9, and if it's quiet they close early (as they did tonight). All they could offer me for a main meal of the day after travelling for hours was a sandwich - with a £5 room sevrice fee on top of the already inflated price.
Luckily a supermarket wasn't too far & I managed to get some snacks there at sensible prices. However I didn't appreciate having to go out & hunt for food after a long day at work.
Like others have said, this is a hotel with 5 star potential but it is badly let down by its rooms in poor state of repair. As a single female I didn't appreciate being given a room which had an insecure window opening onto a flat roof. The bathroom window had a broken catch - it couldn't be opened or closed from it's slightly ajar position - there were no curtains (luckily it was frosted glass) & the windows were filthy - mould/grime. Ugh!

This hotel is most definitely not geared up for business travellers & I will not be staying again - for business or pleasure & have advised our travel bookers not to use it.

• Liked — the bed was comfortable
  • Disliked — just about all of it - it was pretty horrible :(
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled on business
England
Reviewed 15 November 2007

I was born in Salisbury and know this hotel well. I am now 41 years old with two children and moved away 20 years ago. I came back for a family weekend and stayed here. It has lost some character due to Legacy, I don't mean this as a critisisim but its what happens when a family hotel is taken over by a major chain. My room was on the ground floor and had double glazed windows that opened out into a small garden that went down to a river. I had a close view of Salisbury cathedral and in the morning ducks walked into the room looking for food! My children went crazy with excitement! Staff were nice and friendly and the food in the restaurant was good for adults and children alike.
If you are coming to Salisbury I would say give it go if you can get the special rooms by the river. Otherwise go for the premier travel inn which is very good value for money.

Stayed November 2007
1 Thank swissrolls69
Horsham
Reviewed 5 October 2007

I booked two rooms here. It was rather expensive (£432 for a two night stay) but I figured it was worth it for the unique nature of the hotel and as a special treat for my recently bereaved Mum. The exterior met all expectations as we arrived, but then the story changed. The bottom line is that this is a hotel with 5 star potential and 5 star prices. However, with wallpaper hanging off in both rooms, cold water non existent in one bath, and water pressure ridiculously low in the other sink and greenery growing through closed windows, credit card fees with each transaction and a £5 tray charge for room service I felt seriously ripped off. On my return I found reviews referring to the tired state of the decor dating back to June - three months later and no sign of any work starting. There were a total of about 8 members of staff visible, all very pleasant but overworked, and very few of those had english as a first language. A lot of work needs to be done and the prices need to come down. I for one will not be rushing back.

Stayed September 2007
2 Thank Nikanjan
Ashford Middlesex
Reviewed 2 October 2007

Nice welcome for our fairly late arrival. The lovely setting and great location makes up a little for the tired interia. Rooms lack any attention to detail. Curtains insecure, carpets not vacumned, room musty, spare blankets in an untidy heap in the wardrobe. Well worn loo seat (a replacement would only cost a tenner after all) Bar area not very welcoming, one drink and we were off ! (most unusual) Good breakfast on both mornings. Nice place on the whole, just needs a bit of TLC management.

• Liked — Old english and location
  • Disliked — cleanliness of room
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with friends
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 1 October 2007

Happened into Salisbury during my tour through southern England. A friend of mine was originally a native of Salisbury and recommended this place above all others. For 60 pounds a night it was money well spent. After seeing the other reviews, I'm guessing my room is in the "new" portion of the place. The room was spacious, especially by British standards, and overlooked a beautiful garden that had a slow moving river behind it and sheep and goats at play in a pasture on the opposite bank. A several hundred year old stone bridge completed the scene. It was seriously like a postcard. The room also featured a modern, clean bathroom(which can be a hit or miss topic if you travel about England). Salisbury cathedral is a pleasant 10 minute walk away. Of course, there's the pub/bar area itself, which while a bit small, is also inviting. Exposed, handcut timbers help remind you the place is like 600 years old. The barkeep was pleasant so I had a pint of bitters and watched a rugby game over a plate of fish and chips - very British I suppose. The restaurant has a solarium section which overlooks the river up close. If I ever go to Salisbury again, I wouldnt even think of looking for a different place to stay.

• Liked — Great place at a great price
  • Disliked — too quiet
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled solo