“Forget those unfavorable reviews!”

Legacy Rose & Crown Hotel
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
Reviewed 9 June 2008

Forget those earlier unfavorable reviews. I stayed at the Rose and Crown for three nights in May 2008 as part of an Elderhostel program and, believe me, this is a great place. The owners, Legacy Hotels, have spent $2,000,000 in the last few months to upgrade and refurbish this hotel and the results are wonderful -- modern, comfortable rooms, bathrooms with all the mod cons, including a wonderful shower, excellent meals, and very friendly staff. Add to that the location on the banks of the River Avon with views of the cathedral tower and the lovely garden bordering the river and you can't go wrong. Wish I could have stayed longer!

• Stayed: May 2008

Reviewed 26 April 2008

We had our silver wedding celebration here. A restaurant with wonderful setting. Excellent food at a very reasonable price. The staff made us feel welcome even though they were very busy.

Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed 9 April 2008

Unable to write a review about the accomodation, at the Rose and Corwn, it may have been good, bad or indifferent, but I will never know .

Between them, Expedia and the Rose and Crown managed to loose my booking ...... just what you want to hear after 2 hours on the M27

All I would say is the renovations are still underway - dirty great skip in the car park entrance building rubbish piled up out side and in. The reception consisted of a tiny over loaded table in the hall, no wonder they lost my booking - chaos.

To his credit the chap on reception phoned round the local hotels to get us a room - we ended up at the Grasmere Hotel - ok if you are 90+ and want to die in a shrouded room laying in a hideous four poster bed - but thats a different review I just can't be bother to write.

There's no place like home...

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank babyeaglechick
Reviewed 21 March 2008

I was booked in to the Rose and Crown as my hotel of choice was full. I can't remember the last time that I was so shocked and angry at the state of a hotel or the service received.

The Hotel was in the midst of being refurbished. By the time YOU stay here it will be finished and looking very pleasant. I stayed while the work was going on.

The hotel said during booking that "the room was being refurbished" but neglected to mention that there would be significant disruption due to works.

The corridors were full of bits of carpet, tools, builders, decorators, desks and so on. The morning and afternoon trip in and out of my room was a veritable obstacle course of trip hazards.

Due to the carpet laying and painting, the hotel reeked of solvents, leaving me with a sore throat and headache.

In fairness, the room I was allocated had been refurbished, and to quite a high standard. It was on the ground floor with a door leading on to the garden. You could stand on the doorstep, and observe the blizzard of cigarette butts that had been deposited there, while viewing the sublime view of the catherdral and the river.

Personally, I think the rooms were pleasant and simple. However, given the historical exterior of the hotel, some of the rooms lack any history or character and could (apart from the view) be a modern, minimal hotel anywhere. However, they are clean and well proportioned.

At the time there were still some teething problems - TV not tuned properly, sink wouldn't drain, cold tap gave hot water... but these are small problems.

The bigger problem was that, given the level of works going on, the hotel shouldn't have been letting rooms. But - probably on the direction of head office - they had decided to anyway, and because of the amount of work, it was fairly unpleasant.

I spoke to the manager after my second day there, who asserted that the hotel was in a fine state to let rooms, that as a guest I was paying for the room, not the corridors, that the state they were in was acceptable and safe, that nothing in the hotel was unsafe or hazardrous, that the rooms were lovely, and at this stage couldn't have been less helpful. This disucssion was punctuated by asides from one of the decorators, who asserted that it was all safe, that it was up to guests to look out for hazards, and that it wasn't there responsibilty to warn guests of hazards such as a corridor covered in carpet glue!

For what it's worth, the breakfast was not very nice, the evening meal was really not very nice and the the whole experience was depressing.

Having had enough, I moved to another hotel.

It will be lovely there when the works are done, but thanks to this experience I personally will NEVER stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank MollyZero
Reviewed 29 January 2008

I was booked in here for a single night stay by my company as my preferred hotel was full.
I arrived around 9pm having worked all day & having had a 3.5 hr drive south to get here. After a long walk from the car to the room, I finally found the entrance to reception (why on earth is it not better signposted - it's on the side not the front!)
Reception was pleasant and they had my reservation so I trekked the corridors to my room, dumped my bags & headed back downstairs for some dinner.
Hmm ... apparently the restaurant closes at 9, and if it's quiet they close early (as they did tonight). All they could offer me for a main meal of the day after travelling for hours was a sandwich - with a £5 room sevrice fee on top of the already inflated price.
Luckily a supermarket wasn't too far & I managed to get some snacks there at sensible prices. However I didn't appreciate having to go out & hunt for food after a long day at work.
Like others have said, this is a hotel with 5 star potential but it is badly let down by its rooms in poor state of repair. As a single female I didn't appreciate being given a room which had an insecure window opening onto a flat roof. The bathroom window had a broken catch - it couldn't be opened or closed from it's slightly ajar position - there were no curtains (luckily it was frosted glass) & the windows were filthy - mould/grime. Ugh!

This hotel is most definitely not geared up for business travellers & I will not be staying again - for business or pleasure & have advised our travel bookers not to use it.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 November 2007

I was born in Salisbury and know this hotel well. I am now 41 years old with two children and moved away 20 years ago. I came back for a family weekend and stayed here. It has lost some character due to Legacy, I don't mean this as a critisisim but its what happens when a family hotel is taken over by a major chain. My room was on the ground floor and had double glazed windows that opened out into a small garden that went down to a river. I had a close view of Salisbury cathedral and in the morning ducks walked into the room looking for food! My children went crazy with excitement! Staff were nice and friendly and the food in the restaurant was good for adults and children alike.
If you are coming to Salisbury I would say give it go if you can get the special rooms by the river. Otherwise go for the premier travel inn which is very good value for money.

Stayed: November 2007
1  Thank swissrolls69
Reviewed 5 October 2007

I booked two rooms here. It was rather expensive (£432 for a two night stay) but I figured it was worth it for the unique nature of the hotel and as a special treat for my recently bereaved Mum. The exterior met all expectations as we arrived, but then the story changed. The bottom line is that this is a hotel with 5 star potential and 5 star prices. However, with wallpaper hanging off in both rooms, cold water non existent in one bath, and water pressure ridiculously low in the other sink and greenery growing through closed windows, credit card fees with each transaction and a £5 tray charge for room service I felt seriously ripped off. On my return I found reviews referring to the tired state of the decor dating back to June - three months later and no sign of any work starting. There were a total of about 8 members of staff visible, all very pleasant but overworked, and very few of those had english as a first language. A lot of work needs to be done and the prices need to come down. I for one will not be rushing back.

Stayed: September 2007