“Excellent stay”

Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
Wigan, United Kingdom
“Excellent stay”
Reviewed 24 October 2011

Stayed at The Red Lion 21/22 October. Absolutely lovely olde worlde place with excellent staff. Have never slept in such a comfortable bed and had two nights wonderful sleep. Breakfast delightful. Would highly recommend

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
stuartearp, General Manager at Best Western Red Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 25 October 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for finding the time to complete your feedback regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 01722 323334.

Thank you again for taking the time to complete your feedback

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Cambridge UK
Reviewed 21 October 2011

Food Excelliant - staff friendly and chatty. Only one problem the noice from the traffice outside our room - but they did have free ear-plug.

Highly recommended

Room Tip: Book a quite room on a Friday or Saturday night - It does get noisy - but the food is worth it
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you again for taking the time to complete your feedback
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2011

Despite asking for a quiet room, this room is much too close to adjoining rooms. The adjoining room's doors are immediately next to this room's door so when my next door neighbour returned at 1am slamming the door several times, I was rudely awoken. During my second night I had a major snorer next door and was amazed that I could still hear him through the wall despite tuning my TV on at 3 am! Not good when you're on a business trip! My colleagues who were in cheaper rooms seemed reasonably happy with their rooms but I could honestly not say that my room was worth the £110 per night, the decor is exremely tired, the bathroom window and shower mouldy and not to mention the shower head that is held up with gardeners tie-wire! I would not return to this hotel in a hurry.

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the hotel and for the added phots to go with it.

I was sorry to to read your comments on the closness of the doors but it is a 13 century hotel and is a little different to purpose built hotels.

I agree with the state of the bathroom as this was noticed and is this week off for refurb to right the issues that were raised during your stay.

Should you wish to return soon, please donot hesitate to contact myself directly.
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2011

We stayed here for four nights while looking for a permanent base in Salisbury for my son who has moved to the area to work. Very good choice. A very old but quirky building full of character and charm. The courtyard is a lovely place to sit and relax. All the staff we came into contact with delivered a good standard of service - friendly and polite at all times. Accommodation was clean and comfortable and I have now found a base to return to when I am visiting.

Room Tip: We had an inner room in the building just past the entrance which I imagine is much quieter than fro...
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2011

Stayed at the beginning of October whilst on business in area, was lucky enough to get one of the four poster rooms that was nice and quiet at the back of the hotel.
What really stood out was the friendly staff that made the stay a real pleasure and the excellent meal that we had in the restaurant in the evening. The breakfast the next morning was also spot on and I will have no hesitation in staying there again when in the area if nothing else so that I can try something else from the excellent restaurant menu.

prague
Reviewed 7 October 2011

The best part of the Red Lion is the front entrance with the little garden restaurant, very sweet and neat.

The room was small, had everything what we needed, but....it was too noisy, because of traffic outside.Glad it was not too hot and we could close the window. (end of Sept 2011). I recommend to pay extra money and request a quite room. Friendly service people as ell as at the reception as in the restaurant. The location is perfect, because it is downtown and everything is in walking distance.

Room Tip: Pay extra money for quite room!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 12 September 2011

This was a stepping-off point for a quick one week trip my son and I took to this summer.

The hotel is a charming old building, loaded with interesting old furniture and bric a brac.
An arched entrance gives on to a cobbled courtyard with tables and chairs for fair weather dining.

The rooms a smallish, but comfortable, well appointed and impeccably clean. My son and I had to share a king size bed, but we didn't mind. Don't expect the new, somewhat sterile "Best Western Standard" in the rooms. What you get is old English quirky charm.

Dinner was very good and breakfast substantial. The staff were all very gracious.

You can't ask for a better location -just five minutes walk from the cathedral close and forty five minutes by car from Stonehenge.

Good value and a real experience.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
stuartearp, General Manager at Best Western Red Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 30 September 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments on the hotel, I will pass on your comments to the team and look forward to welcoming you back to the Red Lion Hotel soon.