“Olde worlde charm but tired bedrooms and street noise...”

Best Western Red Lion Hotel
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
Reviewed 28 October 2011

I stayed at this hotel recently for a weekend.

The hotel is very central within Salisbury, and has an historic, olde worlde charm: parts of the building date back to the 16th-18th centuries, albeit much altered in the 19th and 20th. Many of the furnishings have been chosen to complement the character of the building. Perhaps the nicest feature is the central courtyard, overgrown with Virginia Creeper, which provides a tranquil and picturesque haven from the city outside.

The bedroom was in a modern extension. It was reasonably well equipped and spacious, but the attempt to chintz it up made it feel claustrophobic: both the curtains (which ran along the length of one wall) and the large padded headboard which ran across the twin beds was in a chintz patterned fabric with a black background. Hideous. A silk and plastic orchid (why?) in one corner was covered in thick dust; the shower faucet wasn't working properly; and most bizarrely next to the toilet was a decoy duck chained to the floor.

The killer was the lack of air conditioning: given how central it is, there was a lot of street noise on Friday and Saturday from 11pm until 3am outside, so leaving the windows open was impossible. (The fact rooms come with a supply of ear plugs should be a warning to light sleepers.) Some rooms apparently have fans, but mine didn't, and with a night-time temperature in the high 60s outside it was unpleasantly stuffy in the room.

Redeeming features were the excellent breakfast (freshly cooked to order) and friendly staff.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank DMJ1962
stuartearp, General Manager at Best Western Red Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2011

Dear Guest

Firstly let me thank you for taking the time to review the Red Lion Hotel. Your feedback is critical to help move our business forward.

The rooms are all individually decorated by the owners wife and in general have excellent feedback on the decor and the finner touches giving to each room. I was sorry that on this ocassion the room did not meet with your satisfaction.

As a city centre hotel we do have a little noise from outside over the weekend and only supply ear plugs to aid the guests sleep nand comfort.

Thank you for your kind words on our breafast and staff, we hope to see you again

Reviewed 24 October 2011

Although the room was well equipped and comfortable we were glad of the fan that we found in the wardrobe. It was a room with a smallish window overlooking a tiny courtyard belonging to houses other than the hotel. Since it is such an historic building problems like this are likely to occur. Having said this, all the staff were very pleasant and helpful. We needed help with our luggage due to a health glitch and this was given on a busy Saturday morning with kindness. There is only car parking in the very small secure hotel for disabled drivers, but since our car was very full of luggage from a painting trip and there was one available space we were able to park there. Otherwise the public car park is very close and being centrally situated the hotel is conveniet for exploring the beautiful city We enjoyed a well presented dinner and a very good breakfast, both with plenty of choice.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PatnPeter
stuartearp, General Manager at Best Western Red Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for finding the time to complete your feedback regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 01722 323334.

Reviewed 24 October 2011

Stayed at The Red Lion 21/22 October. Absolutely lovely olde worlde place with excellent staff. Have never slept in such a comfortable bed and had two nights wonderful sleep. Breakfast delightful. Would highly recommend

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 21 October 2011

Food Excelliant - staff friendly and chatty. Only one problem the noice from the traffice outside our room - but they did have free ear-plug.

Highly recommended

Room Tip: Book a quite room on a Friday or Saturday night - It does get noisy - but the food is worth it
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 October 2011

Despite asking for a quiet room, this room is much too close to adjoining rooms. The adjoining room's doors are immediately next to this room's door so when my next door neighbour returned at 1am slamming the door several times, I was rudely awoken. During my second night I had a major snorer next door and was amazed that I could still hear him through the wall despite tuning my TV on at 3 am! Not good when you're on a business trip! My colleagues who were in cheaper rooms seemed reasonably happy with their rooms but I could honestly not say that my room was worth the £110 per night, the decor is exremely tired, the bathroom window and shower mouldy and not to mention the shower head that is held up with gardeners tie-wire! I would not return to this hotel in a hurry.

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the hotel and for the added phots to go with it.

I was sorry to to read your comments on the closness of the doors but it is a 13 century hotel and is a little different to purpose built hotels.

I agree with the state of the bathroom as this was noticed and is this week off for refurb to right the issues that were raised during your stay.

Should you wish to return soon, please donot hesitate to contact myself directly.

Reviewed 17 October 2011

We stayed here for four nights while looking for a permanent base in Salisbury for my son who has moved to the area to work. Very good choice. A very old but quirky building full of character and charm. The courtyard is a lovely place to sit and relax. All the staff we came into contact with delivered a good standard of service - friendly and polite at all times. Accommodation was clean and comfortable and I have now found a base to return to when I am visiting.

Room Tip: We had an inner room in the building just past the entrance which I imagine is much quieter than fro...
Reviewed 16 October 2011

Stayed at the beginning of October whilst on business in area, was lucky enough to get one of the four poster rooms that was nice and quiet at the back of the hotel.
What really stood out was the friendly staff that made the stay a real pleasure and the excellent meal that we had in the restaurant in the evening. The breakfast the next morning was also spot on and I will have no hesitation in staying there again when in the area if nothing else so that I can try something else from the excellent restaurant menu.