“Lovely historic hotel very close to Salisbury Cathedral”

Best Western Red Lion Hotel
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
Reviewed 9 December 2011

I've stayed at this charming and ancient hotel at least a dozen times since the late 80s and have also recommended it to several friends over the years. Everyone I've sent here has thanked me for the recommendation but it's definitely a hotel with 'character'.

The lack of easy parking can be annoying but is also to be expected in this medieval city. Two of my stays at this hotel were with my handicapped mother and the hotel staff could not have been more gracious in allowing me to park in their 'special' area and gave us a room which only required a minimal amount of steps. (I don't believe any of the rooms at the Red Lion are really 'handicapped accessible' but, heh, it's an ancient building so we coped.)

I've always had rooms in the 'historic' section and often overlooked the lovely courtyard. Each room was different and the hotel can be a bit of a maze to navigate but that's part of the charm. I especially enjoy noticing how modern plumbing and a tiny elevator have been fitted into the centuries-old building. Sometimes trying to shoehorn modern facilities into an old building makes for some creative use of space but it works. Years ago I learned to travel with a pair of earplugs so being kept awake by noise has never been a problem. (I actually use them more on airplanes than in hotel rooms but it's comforting to know that, if things get noisy, you have a sound muffler available.)

I never understood the phrase until I first stayed at the Red Lion but the ancient beams throughout the historic section and the clock in the entrance area are 'black with age'. It's not dirt or paint but, instead, it's the reaction of the wood to centuries of exposure to air and woodsmoke. I think these are some of the reasons to choose the Red Lion but, if you must have the most modern facilities, the Red Lion is not the hotel for you. Those who appreciate an historic hotel with lots of atmosphere and a friendly staff will find the Red Lion a delightful base to explore the many fascinating sites in and around Salisbury. I'm sure I'll be returning here the next time I'm in the area.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank chartravels
stuartearp, General Manager at Best Western Red Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the hotel.

I very much appreciate your comments on the hotel, I will pass on your feedback to the team and we hope to see you again soon.

Regards

Write a ReviewReviews (1,032)

Reviewed 9 December 2011

The Red Lion is an 800 year old coaching inn which has been extended time and again. Located 30 seconds walk from the main market square. It is beautifully decorated, on walking in, you feel as though you have gone back to the luxury and opulence of yesteryear. The staff are extremely helpful and you can see are genuinely proud of the team and the service they provide. The kitchen produced, during my stay, some of the best food i have ever eaten at reasonable prices with fast service. Slight criticisms are the noise levels at night from the surrounding clubs and the lack of parking facilities (charged at an extra £5 per day).

• Stayed: November 2011

Reviewed 4 December 2011

I first stayed at the Red Lion when I moved to Salisbury over 30 years ago, and have stayed there many times in the intervening years including one stay of two weeks. I have also regularly used the bar, restaurant and function rooms. It remains what it has always been, a secret gem.

Last night my wife and I met her parents, who were staying there, for a meal. We chose to eat in the bar rather than the restaurant, and enjoyed an excellent meal at a reasonable price.

One of the words that keeps recurring in other reviews is 'quirky', and yes, it is. The building has been added to and extended over the course of several hundred years, so don't expect a Hilton-style homogeneous hostelry. Every room is different, some better than others, but all full of character. The place is full of unique antiques, including an amazing clock in reception. The courtyard is a picturesque haven in the city centre.

The overall impression is of welcoming warmth. The staff range from highly professional to keenly cack-handed, but all do their best.

Parking is a big problem, but that's Salisbury. The local Council is hell-bent on ridding the city of all cars whether belonging to visitors or residents, and employs a combination of exorbitant parking charges, completely demented traffic management and an army of rapacious traffic wardens who work seven days a week until late in the evening - be warned! The Red Lion can hardly be blamed for that.

The place is not perfect, but where is? If you want a corporate standard hotel where you know exactly what to expect a Holiday Inn, a Travelodge and a Premier Inn are all within eight miles. If you want a familiar menu in familiar surroundings, Salisbury has ASK, Cote, Prezzo and Strada to choose from - all very good, but if you want something a little different you could do far worse than the Red Lion.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 3 December 2011

Loads of character and a quirky layout. Room was very good and bed better than many hotels in my experience. Staff most helpful and polite. Good breakfast and coffee.Great location near the centre of Salisbury. The only real downside is the parking which is extremely limited at the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I will pass on your kind comments about the staff. It is always great to recieve good feedback and I thank you for this.

We are at the moment in advanced talks with the council to try and solve this issue with parking.

Reviewed 24 November 2011

once again a fantastic stay.Have been a few times now and never get tired of this beautiful place. Such a hidden gem even though your on a main busy street once you walk through those gates you could be anywhere. friendly polite staff as always no request to big or small.Thank you again for a fantastic stay see you again very soon.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel.

I will pass on your kind comments to the team, it is always great to see returning guests.We hope to see you staying again soon.

Reviewed 21 November 2011

We only stayed here one night whilst visiting Salisbury but wish we'd had more time. Absolutely loved the quirky character. We were offered a room upgrade which we declined. Our room overlooked a quiet courtyard and the decor was fine and clean. The pillows and beds were perfect. The staff in the bar where we also ate were very friendly. We wonder how many visitors missed the dummy/face in the attic window overlooking the courtyard, it was very spooky.

Only downside of this hotel was the lack of car parking but there is a public car park behind it so no problems there and given the price of the room we couldn't really complain, especially if compared with the Best Western in Bath which charges over twice the room rate when the car park is a mile away.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 November 2011

Please see my photos and judge for yourself. Some others have been taken by other guests before me yet the management have taken no action to resolve the issues but have still rented out the rooms. If you want quality and cleanliness try the Lazy Cow hotel a few hundred yards away. Judge for yourself if this is acceptable.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Justincdf
stuartearp, General Manager at Best Western Red Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2011

Dear Guest,

I was sorry to read your review with photos on our hotel from your stay.

You are correct that I have had a recent complaint from this room. it was booked oos until January when it will be fully refurbished. I am sorry that some how this room was allocated to you and apologies for the poor repair.

As you must have read from other reviews this is not a true reflection of the rooms at the hotel and if you wish to contact myself directly at the hotel I will of course give you a full refund.