“Decent stay in well worn hotel”

BEST WESTERN Red Lion Hotel
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
London, United Kingdom
“Decent stay in well worn hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

The service is quick and the room was large. Food was good. The hotel needs updating but the bathroom was modern and very nice. It was clean. It made traveling with kids easy. Parking behind the hotel was close by and easy access. Stonehenge wasn't far. City center.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank suze_p123

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Mt Martha, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2012

Character filled hotel and great location

Downside! Rooms need renovating, hard beds and no parking! Could park around the back in a council car park.

Nice touch with a soft teddy lion on the beds

• Stayed January 2012
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

Try it I liked it close to cathedral and town centre, good close parking outside only after 6 pm it's free

• Stayed January 2012
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

Comfortable double room with full breakfast for two, costing £50, via hotel web site. They also gave us voucher for £1 each off a drink in the bar. Meal in the restaurant was excellent and good value.

Staff really are friendly and helpful.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2011

I stayed in Salisbury on business recently and The Red Lion hotel was recommended to me. I am a bit confused in writing this review as I have nothing negative to say about the hotel but I just can't work up how it cost £250 a night for a room and breakfast considering places like the Four Seasons just up the road in Hampshire can charge less.

The rooms were very comfortable but fussy. I had dark red walls, a four poster bed, lots of drapes etc. it was very dark and spooky. It barely had any room for working/desk space given the size.

I met my colleague in the bar. A bit of an odd place again. No one in it. It felt a bit like a working men's club bar area.

The staff throughout the stay were very friendly and faultless.

Breakfast was superb. Great service (like the bar) and speedy. Fresh hot English breakfast and buffet continental was available. Could not fault the breakfast and in fact, was one of the best I have had in a hotel.

So - I like the Red Lion, but it just wasn't my taste - and most of all, £250 a night for the room? I left happy but most of all, because I was not paying.

Room Tip: Not sure. Ask?
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2011

After spending nearly 5 months tooing and froming from the Red Lion, I can categorically say that it is the most incredible hotel I have ever stayed at. The staff are the politest, most helpful people I have ever met and every room is furnished to the highest standard. I genuinely can't recommend this hotel highly enough...

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the old part of the hotel, they are the same price, but MUCH nicer.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Minnesota City, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2011

I've stayed at this charming and ancient hotel at least a dozen times since the late 80s and have also recommended it to several friends over the years. Everyone I've sent here has thanked me for the recommendation but it's definitely a hotel with 'character'.

The lack of easy parking can be annoying but is also to be expected in this medieval city. Two of my stays at this hotel were with my handicapped mother and the hotel staff could not have been more gracious in allowing me to park in their 'special' area and gave us a room which only required a minimal amount of steps. (I don't believe any of the rooms at the Red Lion are really 'handicapped accessible' but, heh, it's an ancient building so we coped.)

I've always had rooms in the 'historic' section and often overlooked the lovely courtyard. Each room was different and the hotel can be a bit of a maze to navigate but that's part of the charm. I especially enjoy noticing how modern plumbing and a tiny elevator have been fitted into the centuries-old building. Sometimes trying to shoehorn modern facilities into an old building makes for some creative use of space but it works. Years ago I learned to travel with a pair of earplugs so being kept awake by noise has never been a problem. (I actually use them more on airplanes than in hotel rooms but it's comforting to know that, if things get noisy, you have a sound muffler available.)

I never understood the phrase until I first stayed at the Red Lion but the ancient beams throughout the historic section and the clock in the entrance area are 'black with age'. It's not dirt or paint but, instead, it's the reaction of the wood to centuries of exposure to air and woodsmoke. I think these are some of the reasons to choose the Red Lion but, if you must have the most modern facilities, the Red Lion is not the hotel for you. Those who appreciate an historic hotel with lots of atmosphere and a friendly staff will find the Red Lion a delightful base to explore the many fascinating sites in and around Salisbury. I'm sure I'll be returning here the next time I'm in the area.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank chartravels
stuartearp, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Red Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 12 December 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the hotel.

I very much appreciate your comments on the hotel, I will pass on your feedback to the team and we hope to see you again soon.

Regards