“Consider carefully before you book”

BEST WESTERN Red Lion Hotel
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
Bristol, England
“Consider carefully before you book”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012 via mobile

Very central but very noisey. Decor in rooms dated. Limited food choices and overpriced, food is average at best. The initial room given to me was up two steep flight of stairs and I was not made aware there was no lift available. The room did not have an en-suite as such, separate wc and bathroom in a corridor again, I was not made aware of this at the time of booking. The room was in fact a self contained flat with shabby decor and not what I was expecting for the rate charged. I was concerned around access, my personal safety (as there were separate locked doors leading off the corridor) and emergency exits.

I complained and the reception staff, although initially stating the hotel was full did find me an alternative room. I did not think I was offered value for money and made a formal written complaint. I did receive a very swift written response but it had numerous spelling errors and addressed the response to my husband who has never stayed at the hotel. Following the hotel response I have sent full details to The AA to investigate my comments further. If you are considering booking this hotel I suggest that you fully research the room you are booking and check there is lift access if this is required.

I would also recommend you to research other alternatives and would suggest considering hotels rated above this one on Tripadvisor. I have stayed at several and agree that the hotel currently rated as no. 2 is better quality and excellent value for money.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank BristolKemps
stuartearp, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Red Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2012
Dear Guest

Dear Guest

Thank you for feedback on your stay at the hotel. All comments are looked at and responded too. Which is why I am disappointed with your comments having answered all your questions by email as requested.
Unfortunately I do not have space to post my emailed response to you here, but can say that the hotel meets ALL safety and fire regulations in regard to flights of stairs and escape routes, in case of emergencies. Also 2 months ago passed our AA INSPECTION who found no issues with any bedrooms or staircases in the hotel.
I am sorry you felt that you could not accept my offer of a preferential rate on a return visit

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Luton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

The staff were sweet and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble and everything was done with real care and attention. The food was very good, the whole hotel was very clean and full of character. The courtyard was totally wonderful and heaven on a hot day. I could not find fault with anything. This is a really excellent hotel and I look forward to a return visit. It has great character, great service, and great facilities.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

I needed to change rooms upon arrival to accommodate my son. The staff made it happen effortlessly, and gave us a stellar room with an attached sitting room. Everyone was friendly and helpful. Everywhere you looked, there was a manager keeping a steadying hand and making sure everything ran like clockwork. The food was lovely at dinner, and the afternoon tea was to die for. They held our bags after checkout so that we could tour the Cathedral. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. Excellent value for the money.

Staffordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

My husband took me at the weekend to celebrate our wedding anniversary having visited a couple of years ago and the food we were served up in the restaurant was lovely and the service first class so I was surprised to read some of the other comments. We would certainly return again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Tamworth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

Could i just say that my stay at the red lion, was a fantastic experience, the hotel was beautiful the rooms very impressive the staff very friendly and always with a smile. What can i say about the food other than brilliant. The new menu was absolutely lovely.

Salisbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

The quality of the food used to be amazing, i do still enojoy it, but not so much since the new head chef took over.

Its a very quiet place to be able to sit and relax, child friendly - aslong as you can keep them under control that is!

Lovely staff, slightly overpriced when it comes to the alcohol side of things.

visit here regulary for lunch dates with my mother, but i occasionaly have business meetings here aswell, caters to all needs and very efficient when it comes to holding functions.

Lockhart, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

We stayed for three nights in July and enjoyed the experience very much, as far as the courtyard, the uniquely decorated rooms, and the general atmosphere and ambiance. Sure, it's a creaky old building that's not the most soundproof in the world but I'm not sure what else someone would expect when booking a stay in a historic English hotel that's close to 1,000 years old.

Staff were very friendly and it's just a short walk from the bus station and close enough to Salisbury Cathedral and shopping.

Our only major complaint was the food, as breakfast was pretty abysmal and very overpriced given the mouse-size portions. Greengages Cafe is just around the corner and a far better choice for both breakfast and dinner.

We'd definitely stay here again and don't be put off by some of the more negative reviews; if you're expecting a "modern" Best Western you might be disappointed but if you're looking for a bed and breakfast style experience you'll likely be very happy staying here.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple