“Room Okay But Breakfast Was A Shambles”

Best Western Red Lion Hotel
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
North West England, United Kingdom
“Room Okay But Breakfast Was A Shambles”
Reviewed 7 August 2012

We booked the Red Lion for a two night stay in Salisbury and were very happy with an online rate of £60 per night for the room plus £25 for breakfast for two so £85 per night. However when we got to check-in the receptionist said that it was £145 per night including breakfast, thankfully we had kept our booking confirmation. After several minutes she came back and said that yes their computer system did say it was £85.00 per night, however if we had not had confirmation, maybe the story would be different. Another concern for my husband was the hotel parking, they have a courtyward which takes about 8 cars at a cost of £15 per night. My husband was concerned that the hotel wished to retain the keys for the duration of our stay. This is because the courtyard is so small cars get blocked in and they need to move them. This is fine apart from the fact that there was a sign in the courtyard saying that any damage or loss of the car was not the hotels responsibility. This is made worse by the fact that at reception the keys are in an unlocked cupboard easily reached from the customer side of the desk and worse on the two occasions my husband went to ask for them, he was never asked for any form of identification to prove ownership. This needs looking at as I am not sure you would be covered by your car insurance should something happen.

The room and hotel itself are lovely, the room a little tired and dated but this is a very old hotel but it was large and clean, with an ironing board and iron and tea tray and large bath with shower. However breakfast is another thing, we went down for breakfast at 9.00 on the first morning, and were told to help ourselves to the buffet, hard when there is hardly anything on it. There was no orange juice or bread selection in fact no bread at all, no cereal bowls, no cold meats, no sliced fresh fruit and no yogurts all specified on the menu. I asked the waitress if we could have some orange juice and cereal bowls, it took ages for this to be done. A Spanish lady went to the same waitress and said there was not enough selection to choose from, could everything be replenished, it did not until nearly 9.30 breakfast cut off time when most people had left. Another lady was told there were no mushrooms (and she had ordered before me) she did not get any, I must have got hers!! As the hotel gets a lot of foreign visitors who eat contintental breakfast including meat, cheese and bread you would think they would be regularly topped up but were not. I would say there were not enough staff, only two girls who were trying their best but you cannot do everything.

On the second morning it was nearly as bad, the orange juice had nearly run out, no butter on the table, took ages to get toast, tea and coffee. It took 15 mins to get our cooked breakfast but apparently the hotel had no potatoes left, whether the waitress meant only the breakfast saute potatoes which I wanted I am unsure but not very good for a busy hotel. Many of the foreigh visitors were asking for the buffet table to be replenished again and you cannot blame them if you are not on a B&B rate continental breakfast is £10.50 not cheap if the table is bare. My husband ordered smoked haddock and poached eggs which would have been £9.50 if we had not had B&B rate, a complete rip-off the haddock was two tiny strips just over an inch wide and about three inch long and he said it was pretty tasteless and my baked beans on mine were tepid, I did not both to speak to the waitress as it had taken that long to get in the first place and they were obviously struggling again and I felt sorry for them. The management need to have someone dine at breakfast and see what their customers have to put up with, as it is not acceptable especially for the prices they are charging. We paid £12.50 each for breakfast and it was not value for money. In future we would stay at the Red Lion but would have breakfast at the other many establishments not 2 mins from its front door.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Veganolive1
stuartearp, General Manager at Best Western Red Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2012
Dear guest

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at the hotel.

Firstly can I apologise for the issues at breakfast on both mornings and indeed the confusion on check in with your rate. We have recently changed our breakfast concept and suppliers and are experiencing some issues which will be ironed out shortly. I would have hoped you would have spoken directly to us about your issues including the car park and we could have dealt with and reassured you that the hotel insurance covers any damage if any during your stay. This again is a new procedure at the hotel and signs and protocol are clearly not as one.

I do hope you revisit the hotel at some point and would welcome you to contact myself should you wish to do so.

Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Farnborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2012

We stayed at this hotel on the evening prior to a car event at Wilton House. The main attraction for us being the secure gated car parking - charged at £15 per night it gives peace of mind for those not wanting to leave their cars in an NCP. They do only have six spaces though, so book early!

The main part of the hotel is based in a 13th Century building, lots of old clocks, furniture, beams giving plenty of character, not the place if you're 'Stainless Steel and Glass People'.

Hotel staff are friendly, and very helpful. The Night Porter especially - couldn't do enough for us. Due to poor mobile phone signal, we had a couple of emails sent to the hotel reception which were printed out, and placed under our room door for us.

Bar is cosy with a large tele, and is reasonably priced for a hotel bar. The restaurant looked superb, but we eat elsewhere as we went for a wander around the city centre.

The only thing I can say against it are the very loud bars which in the surrounding area which are open till the small hours - they can keep you awake at night. This is a city centre hotel however, and noise is to be expected to a degree.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for your customer feedback regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 01722 323334.
Billingshurst
Reviewed 6 August 2012

We found this hotel very convenient for the centre of Salisbury and the Cathedral. We were able to take one of the very few parking spaces available at the hotel. The historic building was attractive and the pretty courtyard was very nice for a lunchtime drink,although it took a long time to be served. The bedroom was beautifully decorated and well equipped. We had a good nights sleep. The bathroom was perffectly clean but I cannot understand why they do not provide a bathmat? Stepping out of the bath/shower onto a plastic coated floor, leaving a puddle, can be dangerous. The decor in the rest of the hotel is rather tired and dusty. Breakfast was a disappointment. After reading the extensive menu we opted for a continental breakfast. Most of what was listed was not there. There was no promised fresh bread, croissants, pastries, fresh fruit, cheeses or cold cuts. Just a couple of slices of some unidentifiable processed meat, tinned and dried fruit, seeds, yogurt and cereals. We looked again at the menu and decided to have smoked salmon and scrambled egg instead - not available. Smoked haddock and poached egg? - not available. Full English? Yes - most of what was listed (3 items were missing) arrived but it was very greasy and badly cooked so we left it. Service was also very poor. We gave up asking for milk and marmalade after three attempts within half an hour. All things considered I would recommend this hotel but would suggest dining elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to feedback your recent stay at the hotel.

I was sorry to read about the issues with breakfast or in fact the lack of it. I will be addressing this with the team as this has a become a recent issue having changed our breakfast concept.

Please except my apologise and hope in the future you will re visit and we can show you that we can get it right.

If you have any concerns please contact myself directly at the hotel.

Regards
chengdu
Reviewed 3 August 2012

It was a bit of a maze in getting around this hotel, but we did have a lift to move our luggage. I loved the courtyard, though we did not have time to enjoy it. The room was quaint in terms of decor, as were other hotel decors. The room was quite adequate, including the bathroom. The beds were very comfortable. The food was average and service very good. Street noise was never a problem as I slept soundly.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
stuartearp, General Manager at Best Western Red Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2012

Bristol, England
Reviewed 28 July 2012 via mobile

Very central but very noisey. Decor in rooms dated. Limited food choices and overpriced, food is average at best. The initial room given to me was up two steep flight of stairs and I was not made aware there was no lift available. The room did not have an en-suite as such, separate wc and bathroom in a corridor again, I was not made aware of this at the time of booking. The room was in fact a self contained flat with shabby decor and not what I was expecting for the rate charged. I was concerned around access, my personal safety (as there were separate locked doors leading off the corridor) and emergency exits.

I complained and the reception staff, although initially stating the hotel was full did find me an alternative room. I did not think I was offered value for money and made a formal written complaint. I did receive a very swift written response but it had numerous spelling errors and addressed the response to my husband who has never stayed at the hotel. Following the hotel response I have sent full details to The AA to investigate my comments further. If you are considering booking this hotel I suggest that you fully research the room you are booking and check there is lift access if this is required.

I would also recommend you to research other alternatives and would suggest considering hotels rated above this one on Tripadvisor. I have stayed at several and agree that the hotel currently rated as no. 2 is better quality and excellent value for money.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank BristolKemps

Dear Guest

Thank you for feedback on your stay at the hotel. All comments are looked at and responded too. Which is why I am disappointed with your comments having answered all your questions by email as requested.
Unfortunately I do not have space to post my emailed response to you here, but can say that the hotel meets ALL safety and fire regulations in regard to flights of stairs and escape routes, in case of emergencies. Also 2 months ago passed our AA INSPECTION who found no issues with any bedrooms or staircases in the hotel.
I am sorry you felt that you could not accept my offer of a preferential rate on a return visit
Luton
Reviewed 26 July 2012

The staff were sweet and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble and everything was done with real care and attention. The food was very good, the whole hotel was very clean and full of character. The courtyard was totally wonderful and heaven on a hot day. I could not find fault with anything. This is a really excellent hotel and I look forward to a return visit. It has great character, great service, and great facilities.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 25 July 2012

I needed to change rooms upon arrival to accommodate my son. The staff made it happen effortlessly, and gave us a stellar room with an attached sitting room. Everyone was friendly and helpful. Everywhere you looked, there was a manager keeping a steadying hand and making sure everything ran like clockwork. The food was lovely at dinner, and the afternoon tea was to die for. They held our bags after checkout so that we could tour the Cathedral. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. Excellent value for the money.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family