“Lovely place, let down by the nearby pubs”

BEST WESTERN Red Lion Hotel
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
“Lovely place, let down by the nearby pubs”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by the room when I arrived, and throughout my stay the staff were polite and friendly, with good service (including when I was so tired from a long journey the previous night that I was barely able to string a lucid conversation!).

The only downside are points outside their control. Parking is very limited, but I understand this is due to the council carrying out a compulsory purchase on the hotel's parking area, so it is now council owned and limited to a 3 hour stay.There is another car park a few minutes away which I didn't use myself. It did mean having to think about parking charges when all I wanted to do was get to my room.

Also, there is a thriving nightlife in Salisbury, but this unfortunately does include people shouting and screaming at 3am at the weekend and "boy racers" making the most of the empty roads. If you're used to the noise of a busy town at night, this is no worse, and it is outside the hotels control, but unfortunately it did keep me awake over the Friday and Saturday nights. The hotel do provide ear plugs, which shows willing on their part. It's a shame the local council etc. are letting a great hotel like this, with such history, be dragged down by these two points.

So, thank you to the staff for doing all you could to make it a good stay. Sorry that the points you can't control my review..

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
stuartearp, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Red Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 28 September 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and for your kind words. I will certainly pass on your comments to the team.

I have also passed on your comments to the council and to pub watch who we are working closely with to help solve the parking and noise situation on some nights.

We hope to see you again

Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Horsham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2012

Character property with helpful reception staff, nicely appointed and good size rooms, good breakfast, well located for the Catherdral and the city centre. The car park is tiny so be sure to book a space ahead ( if you can)

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the hotel, I will pass on your kind words to the team.

Welwyn, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2012

The building itself is lovely with really interesting features. The breakfast too is also very nicely done. The room we stayed in had a musty odour which hit me every time we opened the door.
We could hear everything going on in the room next door to us. The bed was not comfortable, I prefer a firmer bed and a duvet rather than the multiple sheets we had. The unit outside the window for the kitchen was noisy. The TV reception was poor at best so we were unable to drown out the noises of the unit or the couple next door.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
stuartearp, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Red Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 28 August 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the hotel after your visit.

I have looked at the noise issue from the kitchen extraction and have had a team looking at ways around the noise you experienced and hope to have a conclusion soon. I apologise that on your visit you were disturbed by this.

I will also pass on your comments to the owners of the hotel about duvets in all rooms. We are a traditional hotel and at present wish to stay and keep the hotel in old traditional manor of the decor and ambiance.

Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2012

Have been to this hotel several times and gradually can see it going down hill from a service point of view. This latest time just for morning coffee with a thought for lunch later. We sat down in the lounge and waited ages, eventually an order was taken, on returning I asked the waitress to clean and wipe the table, as it was sticky and dirty from the previous customers, she tutted, flounced off and then came back and ungraciously wiped the table. The coffee notwithstanding this performance was horrid, we had asked for cold milk, of course, it was hot, again she was displeased....after that we were ignored completely. We could have walked out without paying as we hung around waiting for someone to take notice of the ready cash in our hands! We were subsequently charged central Paris prices for an exceptionally poor experience and no thank you or goodbye from the waitress, no surprise there.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel on your recent visit.

I do however find it frustrating that after the service you receive and the poor quality coffee that you chose not to seek myself out but left and placed your comments on Tripadviser.

We do as most hotels employ students through our summer period and full training is given. These are obviously not the standards I am looking for from my team. But has you can read from other visitors that the staff are helpful and friendly and we pride ourselves on this fact.

It is difficult to pin point who this was as there are no dates or times on your review, which is why I encourage guests to complain at the time so any issues can be ironed out long before they leave the hotel.

If you would like to call me at the hotel to discuss this issue I will be more than happy to go through your issue that I apologise for.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2012

We stayed for 3 night in Salisbury, traveling the south of England. Very friendly hotel with spacious rooms and a lovely courtyard to sit, read a book or have a drink.
The only disadvantage was the heavy buzz from the restaurant air-conditioning we could hear in our room. With open windows the noise was kinda annoying. Luckily i brought my earplugs!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel after your recent visit.

Thank you for your kind words on your stay at the hotel. I do however take on board your comments on noise from the extractor in the kitchen. It is the first complaint about this in my four years here and will be looking into why it is disturbing guests staying in the hotel.

Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2012

I stayed here on a business trip, these are my comments/opinions:

-very unusual hotel full of character in its main areas.
-car parking cost of £15 should have been communicated prior to arrival.
-I didn't like having to leave my car keys at reception during my stay. I understood why this was required due to the logistics of the car park and potential having to move cars. I didn't think this was great though.
-nice enough room,comfy bed.
-room faced onto a fairly busy road which meant windows open wasn't ideal through the night and it was very hot so had an uncomfortable night.
-restaurant food was delicious
-restaurant and bar staff very friendly.
-average breakfast- lovely pastries, fresh cheese and fruit was dry. Nice enough cooked breakfast. No veggie sausages available as per menu.
-good location.

Overall I would probably sample other hotels before returning here.

Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Vixswarn
stuartearp, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Red Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 23 August 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I note your comments on the car park and would say that on are website it does say about the charge for parking, however I will get this added to all correspondence sent out in the future.

I was sorry to read your comments to other reviewers that you would try other hotels before returning to the Red Lion.

We hope you reconsider and revisit soon

Essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

My boyfriend took me by train to Salisbury as a surprise in April ! The hotel is very old as it date backs to 1220 and the rooms are full of character & antiques so consequently in our area of the hotel has no lift. We stayed in a feature room that overlooked the courtyard – we had a small sitting area as well as a large bedroom. The bathroom was also very big. The room had tea & coffee. My only complaint about the room was that it was above the generator and this was very noisy during the night which bothered my sleep. We ate in the restaurant both nights and were impressed with the friendly staff. The hotel is in a good location to explore Salisbury.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel

I was pleased to read your kind comments on the hotel and staff, but apologise that a noise issue spoilt you nights sleep.