“interesting”

Best Western Red Lion Hotel
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
Reviewed 8 January 2013

A very interesting hotel, a complete mix of old and new. On a very busy street. We had to park in a lot next door for 4.7 pounds for three hours from 8 am. The halls are a maze which is very interesting as you go different ways through the building. The room was quite large for a European hotel. The wifi worked great and we had a fantastic cooked breakfast.
I would stay again if in the area.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Best Western Red Lion Hotel

Reviewed 7 January 2013

We had a lovely stay at this historic hotel. It is really nice to go to a hotel with character which has not been over modernised. The food was wonderful and we had the best hotel breakfasts we have ever had, together with really fantastic value afternoon tea. The staff were all very helpful and all in all it's a great place which welook forward to visiting again.

1  Thank CroydonJanet
Reviewed 4 January 2013

I would not like to pay full price as quantities quite small. I had order the grilled goatscheese on salad with walnit and apple. When arrive a few green leave with it appeared no dressing, the goats cheese has peper on top but totally cold. I asked for this to be returned and to be grilled so cheese was warm/hot. When it was returned I see the walnuts and apple had appeared n the greenery. It then actually tasted beautiful. Just a shame it came out unprepared. The main meal for both my husband and myself were supreme, though I could have eaten more. My husband has the strak with triple cooked chips. These were quite large square blocks of potato cooked as chips, looked lovely and tasted good, but with only four on the plate did appear odd. Mine was a chicken dish with mushrooms, spiach and ONE piece of sweet potato, certainly could have done with far more. But the taste of the sauce was supreme.
Staff were friendly and helpful. Service quick.
I would like to return but as said earlier would want a little more on my plate for the main meal.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christine N
Reviewed 2 January 2013

We had a family room, Mum, Dad, 2 boys aged 15 and 13. Room only as we were visiting family so ate with them.

We were tucked away at the back of the hotel on the third floor which suited us perfect. Comfy beds, clean bathroom, TV, tea making.

Parking is tricky, but as visiting family I abandoned my car at their house and walked in/out to hotel.

My only gripe was I couldn't get the free wifi in this room otherwise it would have been a 5/5 !

Great prices too for 4 of us, 2 nights room only came in at £102.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Allen J
stuartearp, General Manager at Best Western Red Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2013

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at our property.

Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked and about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. We hope you will come back and see us again soon.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 01722 323334.

Reviewed 31 December 2012

We had an incredible deal from KGB of £59 for 2 nights b&b, with wine one night at dinner, so the value couldn't be better. The room we had was overlooking the street where the car park was and also the nightclub adjacent so we had some noise both nights (closed windows so it wasn't too bad) The room was spacious and beds comfortable - the shower pressure could have been stronger but was acceptable.

Car parking IS a nightmare - its not the hotel's fault but with cars being double parked and no-one to move them the staff DID get stressed out (and my guess is they really get pee'd off with this element!)

The food at dinner was exceptionally good; also we met some friends for lunch the following day and at from the lounge menu - again very very good food (but rather strangely they'd run out of tomato sauce - surely a nip to the Tesco's 100 yards away could have been made?!) However I had the nicest smoked salmon sandwich I've had this year.

So the chef uses - and cooks well - very good quality ingredients but this is just not shown off to its best ability at breakfast. What a shame - it honestly is shambolic. There never was the full complement of food on display at one time (either bacon, sausage or eggs were missing) the dish lids got REALLY hot and difficult to take off, find somewhere to put them down then take the food and replace the lid all with one hand as the other holds your plate.

The only thing served to the table was toast - not even your hot drinks were given. You had to take your cup up each time to the Thermos pots at the end of the buffet table. This resulted in a lot of 'traffic' as people swarmed round the tables trying to get their first or second cuppa - the table they were on swimming in spilt drinks (not nice)

Now breakfast service has been commented on by many people and I sincerely hope the management DO take note and address this - this meal is the last that many residents will take and doesn't leave the right impression that the rest of the stay has accrued.

My advise is to take breakfast in your room (this isn't well promoted and you have to ask for the form at reception) but omg, what difference, beautifully cooked and served food delivered as requested to our room at an additional cost of only £5. Really well worth the money.

All in all though, I would definitely come back to the hotel if we could get a good offer on the rate, Salisbury is lovely and we found the staff friendly and helpful

Room Tip: Rooms at the back have a lot of noise from the nightclub
1  Thank londonlady2

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at our property.

The hotel in December did struggle with illness and this did impact on food consistancy, which is why I decided to go with a buffet style service. I have a new head chef on board and he is buidling a new team for the future. I can confirm the buffet has gone and breakfast is cooked fresh to order.
We hope you will come back and see us again soon.

Reviewed 30 December 2012

We were pleasantly surprised on entering the hotel with it's quirky, old World charm. Our room was large with Queen sized bed which was very appreciated from the usual cramped double. The bathroom was a good size, very clean with shower and decent sized bath. The towels were a decent size and clean! I found a broken wine glass under the bathroom sink and the toilet seat kept falling off, even after being fixed! There was a plastic plant chained to the dressing table which was thick with dust. My main problem was with the food,whilst our sandwich at lunch was lovely and fresh the evening meal left a lot to be desired! My husband had the tomato soup which he said was good. I had the prawn roulade which was served with no garnish or dip. It was totally unpleasant! The outer casing resembled lard! Main course I had the salmon witha potato stew, which was basically a tin of tomatoes cut up and thrown in with chopped carrots, onions and old new potatoes, some with eyes on!! Again no frills. Inedible!! An elderly lady had the same, and also complained saying it was disgusting. Nothing was done! Just ignored, as she along with her friend were a captive audience who had been there for Christmas (10 day holiday). poor them! No organisation in the morning forbreakfast, just left to our own devices. Tea was tepid amd served in flasks. Food was in dishes on hot plate and very unappetising! Next morning we asked for poached eggs. Waitress offered us tea and toast unlike the 1st morning. This restaurant could be something really special! with good chefs and maybe a theme like an Italian Restaurant. I would definately stay in the hotel, but would not eat here even on a deal. it was just too poor a standard. Receptionstaff were very helpful. Catering staff seemed to use the art of avoidance and werenot particularly helpful. Very disappointing!

Room Tip: Phone with preferences before you arrive to ensure bed size etc. Also ensure you confirm booking at...
1  Thank Dinks1961
Reviewed 25 December 2012

Apologies for the belated review. I stayed in the lovely inn for one night during the Easter weekend; I know, I am writing on Christmas Day. :) I was in London for business the entire month of April and the first long weekend I decided to check out the Stonehenge as a two-day excursion. I chose this historic inn for both location and the historic charm -- very happy with both. I must say that Stonehenge did not live up to expectation (fell far short of mine, in fact) but the Red Lion Inn and the people in Salisbury totally saved my experience.

I took a train to Salisbury (about 1hr from London Waterloo) and had a nice 20-min walk to the inn through a town that is typical English rural scene, I assumed. People in the reception were super friendly and very helpful. I had applied for an 8am "inner circle access" (or 7:30am?) and thus must take a taxi to Stonehenge because the tourist bus started running too late. They helped in booked a car and shared tips about the town.

Traveling solo, I opted for the casual bar rather than the formal dinning room. Like any of the old pubs on that side of the ocean, the pub had a lovely air for sipping beer with very nicely done fish and chip. (OK. It was my first week of a whole month in UK; so ...)

My room has a single bed and a functional bathroom -- of what you can reasonably expect from a structure of this age. It was right above the bar, I think, and overlooked the beautiful courtyard. There was a spot light on the opposite side shinning at my window (for decoration, I believe) -- that was what the curtain for. WiFi signal was surprisingly strong.

Location of the inn is great, too. It's very close to the town square, the shopping mall and the cathedral. On my way back (after Stonehenge, breakfast and check-out), I spent some time trolling through the Sunday market (at the town square). It was quite local rather than touristy, with stalls selling hardware, glasses, shoes, repairing watches and even underwear! A fun and somewhat nostalgic experience. Think about it. You can still find many this kind of old market around the world, if you travel enough, but here you don't have to bargain in a foreign language. :D

An interesting town. I highly recommend anyone going to Stonehenge to spend one night in this lovely place.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo