“Love the courtyard.....the rest was a bit jaded”

Best Western Red Lion Hotel
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
Reviewed 2 August 2013

one night stay for business (in room 20 - the room with no view). On arrival through the beautiful courtyard our hopes were high, but once we got inside the place feel faded and jaded. Lots of big pieces of old furniture and if that's 'your thing' then you'll fit in very well. The room was more of the same but they really should consider a blind to disguise the view (see photo). Pillows hard but the bed was ok on the comfort front. On the upside, all the staff were lovely - friendly and welcoming and full of useful information.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 24 July 2013

Prompted by very favourable feedback from my brother-in-law, I purchased a Livingsocial voucher for afternoon tea with 'Bubbly'. Yvonne and I spent the morning in Salisbury, her shopping and me doing anything other than shopping. Salisbury is a favourite place of mine to visit and I can walk around for hours, lovely places to sit for a coffee and read a paper.

The Red Lion is very central and easily found. The courtyard was a pleasant place to sit out of the very hot sunshine. We arrived at 1.55pm and had to wait 10 minutes before we were approached for our order, to be fair, it was busy. We stated that we had pre booked for afternoon tea. 10 minutes later, we were served two glasses of Bubbly, which was very pleasant.
25 minutes later, we were ready to eat the plates, we were that hungry, we were finally served finger sandwiches (3 each), small portions of quiche, two slices of cake each, a small glass of fresh fruit and two warm scones each, jam and clotted cream and a pot of tea which gave us two cups each. I must say that it was a lovely treat and the food was lovely!

Friendly service and great value for money, we throughly enjoyed our visit to the Red Lion!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2013

The reviews for this hotel were tricky and the pictures I saw were of floral patterned chintz (and I'm more into a modern contemporary hotel!). However I wasn't in charge of the hotel choice but in the end I'm very glad we stayed here. We got a lovely room, all dark reds and wooden beams, with a elegant bathroom (it was all a tad dated perhaps but it suited the hotel and I rather enjoyed it!).

We were there during a heatwave and was glad of the fan in the wardrobe to move air around the slightly stuffy room - it would be lovely in winter I think but still comfortable in the hot weather. The bed could have, been comfier (slightly dippy mattress and the bed sheets were VERY old fashioned) but despite my concerns I slept well anyway.

The staff I met (reception and barman) were simply excellent - so friendly and helpful! The convenience of the location was just great. The courtyard bar area was a ridiculously nice place to spend time.

Overall I would recommend this hotel - though, as others have said, if you want sleek, modern minimalism then you won't find it here!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I visited this hotel to use 2 living social vouchers one for lunch and then one for a champagne cream tea.
I had a baby and a 3 year old with me and we were made very welcome by the staff. The meal was very nice and we had a dish of chips for the 3 year old. I got the impression that this is a hotel wanting to show off their professionalism and each person we spoke to seemed genuinely interested in helping. Food was served fast and hot and I could not really fault it.

We went back for the champagne cream tea about 4 hours later and were greeted in similar manner by lovely professional staff. The cream tea was huge. 4 choices of sandwich fingers, Smoked Salmon, Cheese, Ham and mixed cheese, a small square of Quiche each, 5 different cakes PLUS 4 scones clotted cream and jam. A pot of tea and hot water and 2 glasses of Sparkling wine. Nothing to complain about again.

There must be better places so I have given this venue 4 out of 5 but I would recommend a visit to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 July 2013

We had stayed here before but not when it was summer! Just spent 3 nights there in June during a bit of warm weather. When I asked about the air-conditioning, the response was,"Of course Madame, the fan is in the closet." We were lucky and got by without air-con but if it is truly hot, then it might be a problem.

We were celebrating our anniversary and so got their Executive room with a photoed lovely bathroom! But oh dear, the floor was so slanted that (even without a drop of drink) upon entering I fell immediately crashing into another piece of furniture! They then moved us to an upgraded double with twin beds together. Parking is extra but waved it since we had to move rooms. The floor was okay in the next one but the mattress was not up to my husband's level of comfort nor mine but we had prepaid. There are many different sections to the hotel so it is hard to determine what is meant by their room descriptions.

They put a lot of emphasis on the quaint and historic look as you will also see in the lounges which do have that historic feeling and look as well.
The desk staff tried to be most helpful and friendly. I can imagine how difficult it must be to keep tourists happy in a very old hotel that is in constant need and with many quirks!!

The bar is quaint and the bartender, James, was most delightful and friendly. He really helped to cheer us up and took great care of us as we ate several meals there. The pork chop is very good! THe morning breakfast service was less so.

It has a lovely courtyard for tea or drinks in nice weather. It is a very interesting place for a visit but if you wish for a good night's sleep, have a bad back or neck, then you will want to inquire further.

Room Tip: No airconditioning and there are many different sections to the hotel so it is hard to determine wha...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2013

I stayed at very short notice in a single room 65 that needed to be freshened up. It was clean but the blanket and bed top looked like they were left over from the 70s. A little investment in a duvet and a mattress that's not supported by a gash piece of board would go a long way to justify the £100 per night tariff. Normally, I stay in gastro pubs/boutique hotels that do the small things much better at £20 less per night.
As an international traveller, this show cases what I see as average English hotels too often. Sad for such a historic building.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 July 2013

If you want sleek brushed steel fittings and modern design, go elsewhere. If you want chintz, floral wallpaper and stacks of old people, come here.

The hotel is really more a collection of old rooms all connected together by a rambling series of corridors, festooned with clanking pipes and mysterious machines that whirr and bang at all hours. Views are mostly of...walls unless you're very lucky.

However, the staff are perfectly charming; the food is ok; and the beer expensive. The best part of this hotel is the interior courtyard - you must take tea here at least once if you can.

Finally - parking. What a faff. I reserved parking and then had to jump through interminable hoops to physically park up; too many cars and not enough spaces. Save yourself the hassle and use the pay and display just round the corner. It's very cheap.

In summary, not bad and certainly on par for Salisbury.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple