“Fine”

Best Western Red Lion Hotel
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

It's an okay hotel. Feels very classic which is not really my bag... Could do with modernisation.

A few nice touches- some nice mini cakes in the room but the little things like a poorly hung TV in the bedroom ruins it.

Food was pretty meh. Over flavoured for the gnocchi and too dry for the terrine . Cheese cake was great however.

Service and staff are fine bit overall a fussy feel about the place that meant it lacked any ambiance or vibe.

Clean overall.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Best Western Red Lion Hotel

Reviewed 8 March 2014

No parking, receptionist with no ideas, shower boiling hot trickle or boiling hot trickle, bulb hanging out in bathroom. Need I go on. Haven't even gone to bed yet and might not but for what I've paid for this I need to get something out if it. Will never use best western again. I travel the country with Luton town every season and this is the worst hotel I've ever used

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank didley1968
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We stayed at the Red Lion between 21 and 23 February. It proved to be a real treat. The hotel is reputedly the oldest hotel in England. The staff on reception were all friendly and very helpful. Our room, though lacking a view was most comfortable, spacious and clean. The bar felt less like a hotel bar and more like a comfortable local. The Red Lion is within a few minutes walk from the Cathedral and historic core of Salisbury. Whilst there is little space to park at the hotel, there were car parks within a couple of minutes walk. The Red Lion looked and felt like a hotel in an ancient town should, comfortable, welcoming, a little worn here and there but a welcome and cheerful place to return after a day exploring the city.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Had a lovely afternoon tea at the Red Lion. Wonderful characterful place. Thought the lounge area was reminiscent of an old 'Smoking Club' and I also liked the bright interior conservatory area and the dining room. Tea consisted of a selection of sandwiches, scones, brioche and croissants with butter, jam and cream, plus a selection of biscuits, tarts and cakes. To drink, a choice of tea or coffee and mulled wine and Prosecco. Very pleasant and unhurried way to spend a good part of the afternoon.

1  Thank kimbayley
Reviewed 3 March 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed for two nights last weekend and were hugely impressed with the helpfulness of staff, 'sympathetic for the age of the building' room decor, cleanliness of rooms and for allowing us to store our bags there both before check-in and after check-out.

Room Tip: Make sure you request one of the original historic rooms as I think there may be an annexe there whi...
2  Thank Matthew S
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I booked here last minute and saw it was a Best Western, so I thought 'that will do'. The location was e main thing as I needed to catch a train early the next morning. The room was very chintzy, flowery, will a huge bed and lovely bathroom. I liked it, it was like a vintage bedroom! Room 71. I went down for dinner at 7 and the guy who was also covering the reception was fab as I was first in the dinning room, a woman on my own. I asked for a glass f tap water and he bought me a jug of water with ice, lovely. I ordered salmon starter, turbot main, and baileys crime brûlée. What a menu! I don't know who the chef is but he is brilliant. One of the best dinners I have had in a long time, and I travel a lot and eat out a lot, here and Europe. He must be a Michelin chef! The service was brilliant and the staff were great. I had an early breakfast set on a tray for me for 6.20am by the night staff worker (who was also really nice and friendly). There was a log fire burning when I had my breakfast, I wanted to stay. My stay, although short was such an amazing surprise at how lovely it was, great staff, amazing food, and such a lovely relaxing atmosphere. If you go to salisbury, stay, you will be surprised, as it doesn't look much from the outside to be honest. Best not judge a book by its cover!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business